Movie Talk

Watched The Lovely Bones again. Steven Spielberg producer. Peter Jackson director  Great cast Saoirse Ronan, Mark Wahlberg, Susan Sarandon a light hearted character in a mysterious film, Rachel Weisz,  It is both suspenseful and dark with beautiful surreal images. The Brian Eno's soundtrack is "heavenly." It made me think of the Robin William's film What Dreams May Come.

did anyone else know that Spielberg is doing a remake of West Side Story - due in Dec, 2020?

News to me.

I watched some of the filming in Patterson. Very reminiscent of the original but with appropriate casting

drummerboy said:

did anyone else know that Spielberg is doing a remake of West Side Story - due in Dec, 2020?

News to me.

Boy, boy, crazy boy, stay cool boy.

I love the music from West Side Story!

Morganna said:

drummerboy said:

News to me.

Boy, boy, crazy boy, stay cool boy.

I love the music from West Side Story!

Probably the best filmed musical of all time. Trying to get my kids to watch it on our movie night. 

The opening still gives me chills. Can Spielberg top this? Wonder who the new choreographer is.

ETA: Justin Peck

Makes me wanna call somebody Daddy O

Saw the new Broadway version with my kid right before covid shut everything down.  The production was panned a bit but we loved it, especially Tony and Anita.  And the dancing!!!!

Is the movie based on the Broadway revival?

It looks like a fairly close remake of the film, however the original film was significantly altered from the original play

A musical score by Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim is not likely to be too shabby and it sure isn't. 

Love the dance at the gym (but the whole movie is great).

On a tangent, if you haven't been to Greenwood Cemetery in Brooklyn (an absolute NY A-list must), go and make sure you check out Bernstein's grave. In contrast to the often ostentatious (though often beautiful) burial trappings of other notables, Bernstein has the simplest of foot stones. He didn't need to be a show off in death.

With all that is going on, the movie Crash has been on my mind and I wondered if any station would run it again. Caught it last night on HBO. It feels like a movie for this moment. Can never get that song out of my head.

wow.

2/3's of the way through Never Rarely Sometimes Always.

story of two teen girls who travel from PA to NYC so that one can get an abortion.

great movie. very spare. very indy. lots of close-ups. As someone said on imdb - just shows what you can do with just a camera and good acting.

on Amazon.

Morganna said:

With all that is going on, the movie Crash has been on my mind and I wondered if any station would run it again. Caught it last night on HBO. It feels like a movie for this moment. Can never get that song out of my head.

I remember liking Crash when I saw it in the theater. (Haven’t watched it since.) Even now, though, it gets mentioned, sometimes almost out of nowhere, as a film that rankles critics. Ebert was a fan; others, not so much. Whatever I thought of Crash, I welcome — for my consideration, as the studios might put it — the discussions of the backlash.

Best-Picture Winner Crash Just Turned 15. Is Anybody Celebrating? (Vanity Fair)

Is Crash Truly the Worst Best Picture? (New Republic)

Don't want to spar with people who liked it - to each his/her own - but I'm firmly in the camp of those who hated it.   

I thought Crash was pretty good. Had some great moments, along with some real groaners.

Definitely not best picture material, though it was better than Boyhood. I would've gone with Brokeback that year.

Never really understood the critics backlash against it. Sometimes it just becomes cool to hate something.

And sometimes, of course, things are more than just “cool” even when we don’t understand them.

(I think that was a line from Boyhood.)

I think it was the Green Book of its day.  Fake self-congratulatory Hollywood social commentary.  

DaveSchmidt said:

I remember liking Crash when I saw it in the theater. (Haven’t watched it since.) Even now, though, it gets mentioned, sometimes almost out of nowhere, as a film that rankles critics. Ebert was a fan; others, not so much. Whatever I thought of Crash, I welcome — for my consideration, as the studios might put it — the discussions of the backlash.

Best-Picture Winner Crash Just Turned 15. Is Anybody Celebrating? (Vanity Fair)

Is Crash Truly the Worst Best Picture? (New Republic)

Crash was a fairytale, a morality play. I've often wished to write one of those stories with dozens of threads that miraculously tie together. The magical music of Sense of Touch fits perfectly. Interesting that in both articles the photo used was of Matt Dillon saving Thandie Newton from the burning car while the music soars. Scenes were played for high drama,  Some performances were better than others. I always like Terrence Howard.

Didn't realize that Paul Haggis wrote Million Dollar Baby which I liked and that he was a contributor to Thirty Something, which I loved and would like to see if the reruns still worked.

The writer of the Vanity Fair piece also hated, Out of Africa, a romantic period piece which I enjoyed with a best friend sipping wine in crystal glasses in a movie theater. 

Both complaining writers were male, not sure if that means anything.

Ooooooh, I always want to spar over thirtysomething!

blank stare

DaveSchmidt said:

And sometimes, of course, things are more than just “cool” even when we don’t understand them.

(I think that was a line from Boyhood.)

You really get off when I say "I don't understand", don't you.

I'll have to remember to do it more often.

“You endlessly amuse me, Elliott, when that which you don’t understand becomes unworthy of understanding.” — Miles Drentell

Morganna said:

Didn't realize that Paul Haggis wrote Million Dollar Baby which I liked and that he was a contributor to Thirty Something, which I loved and would like to see if the reruns still worked.

It’s dawning on me that I’ve been confusing Paul Haggis with Mike Figgis.

DaveSchmidt said:

“You endlessly amuse me, Elliott, when that which you don’t understand becomes unworthy of understanding.” — Miles Drentell

No need to be specific. I knew that's what you thought.

Of course, that's not what it always means, does it. 

Good double feature on TCM tonight: A Hard Day’s Night and Don’t Look Back. 

I think I’ll be watching this instead, though, recorded earlier from TCM: Elevator to the Gallows. I had never heard of it, but the blurb caught my attention — and Jeanne Moreau ...!

DaveSchmidt said:

Good double feature on TCM tonight: A Hard Day’s Night and Don’t Look Back. 

I think I’ll be watching this instead, though, recorded earlier from TCM: Elevator to the Gallows. I had never heard of it, but the blurb caught my attention — and Jeanne Moreau ...!

Director Louis Malle music by Miles Davis. Sounds moody. Hmm but then you contrast that to The Beatles and Bob Dylan. 

So sparring over Thirtysomething. Quite a few of those actors went on to do some good things. Timothy Busfield went on to a very cool role in West Wing.

What was your take.

Morganna said:

So sparring over Thirtysomething. Quite a few of those actors went on to do some good things. Timothy Busfield went on to a very cool role in West Wing.

What was your take.

Before it was possible to see what they would go on to do, I used to get a kick out of reflecting on whence they had come — specifically Ken Olin from Hill Street Blues and Melanie Mayron from Rhoda.

My take was more fun to declaim when the show was a critics’ darling, but it mostly involved a distaste for the characters’ aspirational pretensions, self-wallowing and overall humorlessness. (It’s hard for me to remember any of them laughing out loud, except Elliot, and even his laughter seemed joyless. Maybe Peter was capable of joy — so they killed him.)

Oh, and the show might as well have been set outside Kalamazoo, for as much as it gave Philly any recognition.

OK, your round.

Just watched "Colossal" with Anne Hathaway and Jason Sudeikis.  A truly genre bending movie.  Part indie slacker drama part monster movie.   Worth a look.  

er, Thirtysomething's a TV show right?

Anyway, I'm always interested in seeing the favorite movies of great directors and actors, hoping to find  some movies I haven't seen yet or even heard of, or maybe to consider a previously seen movie in a different light. Came across this piece about Paul Thomas Anderson's (one of my favorite movie makers) favorites. Some interesting choices in there.

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/paul-thomas-anderson-favorite-films-movies/big-daddy-1999/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.