Movie Talk

Just thought of a film to add to @drummerboy 's pandemic watch list.

The Shining.

Morganna said:

Just thought of a film to add to @drummerboy 's pandemic watch list.

The Shining.

Quarantine would be good, too. Or the original Spanish movie [REC].

[REC] was pretty good.

28 Days Later.  One  might loosely say it's a zombie movie - and the best one ever IMO - but the infected are really victims of the "rage" virus.  It's a great scary apocalyptic pandemic movie.  Directed by Danny Boyle of Slumdog Millionaire fame.

Another good one.

The thing I like about Danny Boyle is that he's all over the place with his movies, but they're consistently good to great.

In my campaign to go sane I'm movie binging in lieu of the news. Strange mix of films with a dance vibe and mixed music.  Slumdog Millionaire for starters ending in Footloose kind of a cool segue in terms of dance finales. Slipped in The Tower of Music tribute to Leonard Cohen who I love but doesn't make me want to jump up and dance like the other two.

I'm singing at the top of my lungs and dancing all over the place to shake off the fear.

Thought of that conversation in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

“You know the days when you get the mean reds?
Paul Varjak: The mean reds. You mean like the blues?
Holly Golightly: No. The blues are because you’re getting fat, and maybe it’s been raining too long. You’re just sad, that’s all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you’re afraid, and you don’t know what you’re afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?”
Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's

DaveSchmidt said:

STANV said:

Possibly the greatest line in movie history.

“Big clocks are never wrong!” 

"Where's your hat?"

Train_of_Thought said:

"Where's your hat?"

A lot of people don’t remember that in the fight to be the greatest line in movie history, that one lost. 

Dave,

I watched Cold Turkey and waited for the line. It was pretty good but I wouldn't call the Movie or the line one of the greatest.

Here are truly great lines from comedies

"Serpentine"

"I'll have what she's having"

"Am I driving?"

The last is from a silent movie, City Lights, so not actually spoken but on one of those placards or whatever they called them in silent movies. I laughed out loud.

DaveSchmidt said:

Train_of_Thought said:

"Where's your hat?"

A lot of people don’t remember that in the fight to be the greatest line in movie history, that one lost. 

Ahh, but I think it wins in the rematch.

I will continue to say, til the end of my days, it's the most perfect line in movie history.

Train_of_Thought said:

Ahh, but I think it wins in the rematch.

I will continue to say, til the end of my days, it's the most perfect line in movie history.

What is the movie?

STANV said:

Dave,

I watched Cold Turkey and waited for the line. It was pretty good but I wouldn't call the Movie or the line one of the greatest.

Of course not. If anyone was expecting unanimity, what we’d have here is a failure to communicate.

It cheers me to know you watched the movie nevertheless.

STANV said:

What is the movie?

Wait for it ...

Two last thoughts from me about movie lines:

“Big clocks are never wrong” is great because many years ago it came up in a conversation with a guy I had only recently met, and each of us instantly recognized the other’s appreciation for both it and the largely forgotten movie. This established a connection based on a shared sense of humor and cinematic tastes, which quickly developed into a lifelong friendship. That’s pretty great.

“Where’s your hat” is also great, because it tells me that Train_of_Thought, whom I’ve never met, is a connoisseur of sublime, humanistic detail, not to mention totems of Philadelphia culture. Also, that he can take a good-natured dig. All that, too, is pretty great.

DaveSchmidt said:

Wait for it ...

I wonder if that was in the script or Stallone's reaction that they kept in.

Supposedly the following was not in the script:

"Hey, I'm walking here."

STANV said:

Dave,

Here are truly great lines from comedies

"Serpentine"

"I'll have what she's having"

"Am I driving?"

The last is from a silent movie, City Lights, so not actually spoken but on one of those placards or whatever they called them in silent movies. I laughed out loud.

Yes to Serpentine! and I'll have what she's having! 

and of course I'm walking here.

More recent well known film lines are possibly,

Are you talkin' to me?

and

You can't handle the truth!

Morganna said:

Watching Slumdog Millionaire. Great film and love the dance scene at the end.

Loved the dance scene at the end of The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Dev Patal is sensational.  

cramer said:

Loved the dance scene at the end of The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. Dev Patal is sensational.  

I've seen that film and now I'm going to rewatch that dance scene! Dev Patel is wonderful. 

Morganna said:

cramer said:

I've seen that film and now I'm going to rewatch that dance scene! Dev Patel is wonderful. 

DaveSchmidt said:

“Where’s your hat” is also great, because it tells me that Train_of_Thought, whom I’ve never met, is a connoisseur of sublime, humanistic detail, not to mention totems of Philadelphia culture. Also, that he can take a good-natured dig. All that, too, is pretty great.

Thanks, D, for the kind words and for doing the heavy lifting re "the line."

Try the In laws , with Peter Falk and 

Alan Arkin.  This is the original from 1979. Sit back and laugh out loud. 

Mattie5 said:

Try the In laws , with Peter Falk and 

Alan Arkin.  This is the original from 1979. Sit back and laugh out loud. 

The source of @STANV 's "serpentine" It is hilarious. Much better than the remake.

And for those Alan Arkin fans, try Little Murders from the play by Jules Feiffer, and Joseph Heller's Catch 22. both 70s comedies and filled with wildly talented casts.

Catch 22 aside from Arkin featured Orson Welles,  Richard Benjamin, Art Garfunkel, Jon Voight, Anthony Perkins, Martin Sheen etc.

Both seem perfect for this time. 

"One word: Plastics."

eta - We can blame The Graduate for our ecological disaster. 

Add to Alan Arkin list "The Russians Are Coming"

mjc said:

Add to Alan Arkin list "The Russians Are Coming"

"Emergency, everyone to get from streets"

Growing up in NY, a common expression was "You're eating like the Russians are in Jersey."

SAINT FRANCES is a new independent film that I saw on its opening night at the IFC Center just before the sh!t hit the fan.  The director did a Q and A after the screening. I liked it a lot.  It’s available at this link for $10. Well worth it . 

https://saintfrances.vhx.tv/products/support-the-city-cinemas-watch-saint-frances

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.