Movie Talk

ridski said:

Just saw Troop Zero on Amazon Prime.

Was it hilarious? Was the acting, writing and directing amazing? Was it poignant? Did I cry at the end? 

Yes.

 Agreed.  I was surprised. I anticipated a Wes Anderson style thing but it was uniquely oddball and nicely

put together. I may have teared up, who knows- so what. : )   I'd also recommend Atlantics by Mati Diop. I saw it in a theater but it's also on Netflix. It's a beautifully shot film about oppressed workers, love and ghosts staged in Dakar. No work this past week so I cranked up the Laserdisc and watched some old favorites- Man Bites Dog, a serial killer mockumentary, Bagdad Cafe, Laws of Gravity, Putney Swope, and Mikhail Kalatozov's, I Am Cuba- worth watching for the first 5 or 6 minutes alone.


I’ve enjoyed seeing the poster image on this thread all these weeks when I call up MOL. I know it won’t be there forever, but thanks to all for leaving it at least this long.


I took someone to see Man Bites Dog on a date. While I wouldn't recommend doing that, this April we'll have been married for 21 years. 


Yeah, Saving Private Ryan on Valentines Day probably wasn’t a great call either.


It was a group outing, but literally falling out of my seat into the aisle laughing during Princess Bride turned out to be my big move.


jimmurphy said:

Yeah, Saving Private Ryan on Valentines Day probably wasn’t a great call either.

 Shaving Ryan's Privates is a much better movie anyway.


Saw Parasite tonight. 

Wow.


Have you seen Snowpiercer?


drummerboy said:

Have you seen Snowpiercer?

 Yes. I’m on the fence with that one.


ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Have you seen Snowpiercer?

 Yes. I’m on the fence with that one.

 I really liked Snowpiercer. It's a bit silly, yes, but, exciting -  and I adore Tilda Swinton.


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Have you seen Snowpiercer?

 Yes. I’m on the fence with that one.

 I really liked Snowpiercer. It's a bit silly, yes, but, exciting -  and I adore Tilda Swinton.

 Yeah, I think my biggest issue with it was tone and pacing. The cast were all great, though. I’m intrigued about the tv series coming out this year.


ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Have you seen Snowpiercer?

 Yes. I’m on the fence with that one.

 I really liked Snowpiercer. It's a bit silly, yes, but, exciting -  and I adore Tilda Swinton.

 Yeah, I think my biggest issue with it was tone and pacing. The cast were all great, though. I’m intrigued about the tv series coming out this year.

 There's a Snowpiercer TV series coming?!?  Jeez, Louise. That'll be weird.


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Have you seen Snowpiercer?

 Yes. I’m on the fence with that one.

 I really liked Snowpiercer. It's a bit silly, yes, but, exciting -  and I adore Tilda Swinton.

 Yeah, I think my biggest issue with it was tone and pacing. The cast were all great, though. I’m intrigued about the tv series coming out this year.

 There's a Snowpiercer TV series coming?!?  Jeez, Louise. That'll be weird.

 Yep!


I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit yet, but here's a great essay/review on it

https://estheronfilm.com/2020/02/13/my-final-words-on-jojo-rabbit/

Esther doesn't like it.


I saw JUDY the other day. Meh.

Your typical biopic with an actor doing a real good imitation of some star. The imitation was good (best actress worthy?) but the rest of the movie, the story, characters, scenarios, etc were flat. The Judy character was meant to carry the entire film I guess, but, as good as she was, it wasn’t enough. 


Yesterday I saw The Photograph and Buffaloed. Enjoyed both. 

The former is a classic love story with two gorgeous and talented leads and nice back stories and supporting characters. (Issa Rae. Wow.) 
The latter is a wacky high-energy farce of sorts. 


Just watched The Miracle Worker for the first time in decades. What a great movie. Bancroft is great, and Patty Duke is a marvel.


Reaffirmed for the 16th time this afternoon while channel surfing: No matter where I pick it up, Twelve Angry Men is impossible to turn off.


I tried to record it but for some reason my Youtube TV didn't allow me to. I think it's a copyright thing. Happens occasionally.

But yeah, I'll watch it pretty much every time it comes on.


I've been on a roll with movie rentals recently. Watched Knives Out on Saturday, which was bloody marvelous, and Booksmart, which was also bloody marvelous.


Knives Out reminded me of one of my sit-back-and-enjoy-the-watchwork favorites, The Spanish Prisoner. Wherein violence is no match for wit in keeping a viewer in thrall.


drummerboy said:

I tried to record it but for some reason my Youtube TV didn't allow me to. I think it's a copyright thing. Happens occasionally.

But yeah, I'll watch it pretty much every time it comes on.

I’ve toyed with mentally ranking the performances, just for fun, but they’re all so good it doesn’t seem fair. I’m also indebted to the forensic dismantling of certainty, which sets the foundation for a group effort. Henry Fonda’s juror is the catalyst, but he’s not in command; important insights come from all corners.

What are some of your favorite aspects of the film?


There's a VERY funny 21-minute parody of 12 Angry Men that Amy Schumer did in Season 3 of her show, Inside Amy Schumer. I looked on YouTube for it but it's only available for sale. (Never seen that before on YouTube.)  It's really hysterical and very clever.


The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

There's a VERY funny 21-minute parody of 12 Angry Men that Amy Schumer did in Season 3 of her show, Inside Amy Schumer. I looked on YouTube for it but it's only available for sale. (Never seen that before on YouTube.)  It's really hysterical and very clever.

 It's available on the Comedy Central site.

http://www.cc.com/episodes/d6vl24/inside-amy-schumer-12-angry-men-inside-amy-schumer-season-3-ep-303


DaveSchmidt said:

drummerboy said:

I tried to record it but for some reason my Youtube TV didn't allow me to. I think it's a copyright thing. Happens occasionally.

But yeah, I'll watch it pretty much every time it comes on.

I’ve toyed with mentally ranking the performances, just for fun, but they’re all so good it doesn’t seem fair. I’m also indebted to the forensic dismantling of certainty, which sets the foundation for a group effort. Henry Fonda’s juror is the catalyst, but he’s not in command; important insights come from all corners.

What are some of your favorite aspects of the film?

oh gee, that's hard to say...

Thinking back, I did just realize that there is not a wasted piece of dialog - really, not even a wasted moment. Everything either helps to progress the plot, or helps to define a character.

Every character is so well delineated - they're all unique, which is a hard thing to accomplish with 12 roles, populated by just white men.

And each character's eventual conversion to "not guilty" is believable.


I also just realized I don't even know who wrote it.

Just looked it up. Reginald Rose. Never heard of him.

Good job Reginald. Good job.


If you're a fan of The Big Lebowski (and who isn't?) there's a strange sequel of sorts that's just been released. John Turturro wrote, directed and stars in THE JESUS ROLLS, about the purple-clad, bowling-obsessed Jesus Quintano character that he played in Lebowski. I saw it yesterday and it's for true fans only. It takes place same unknown number of years after Lebowski and Jesus is the only character from the original film in it. It's wacky, it's bizarre. It's mediocre at best.


drummerboy said:

Thinking back, I did just realize that there is not a wasted piece of dialog - really, not even a wasted moment. Everything either helps to progress the plot, or helps to define a character.

That’s a good way of putting my admiration while watching the men’s room scene, where Jack Warden and then Edward Binns address Fonda. Even there, away from the action, a lot of light is shed on the characters.


DaveSchmidt said:

I’ve toyed with mentally ranking the performances, just for fun, but they’re all so good it doesn’t seem fair. I’m also indebted to the forensic dismantling of certainty, which sets the foundation for a group effort. Henry Fonda’s juror is the catalyst, but he’s not in command; important insights come from all corners.

What are some of your favorite aspects of the film?

 Loved the moment when the older man remembers the marks that the witness had on her nose, from her glasses.

Sorry I missed the recent show. Was it on TCM? I changed my Optimum package and it was one of the stations I miss. It is one of those films I always stop to watch. Actually I can think of a few trial films that I love.

I was foreman on both petit and grand jury. Loved it.


Morganna said:

 Loved the moment when the older man remembers the marks that the witness had on her nose, from her glasses.

Sorry I missed the recent show. Was it on TCM?

Yes, on Sunday afternoon.

E.G. Marshall was always going to be a tough one to sway, but those indentations got him.


Judgement at Nuremberg

Witness for the Prosecution

And Justice for All

A Few Good Men

Inherit the Wind



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement