Movie Talk

flimbro

ridski said:

Just saw Troop Zero on Amazon Prime.

Was it hilarious? Was the acting, writing and directing amazing? Was it poignant? Did I cry at the end? 

Yes.

Agreed.  I was surprised. I anticipated a Wes Anderson style thing but it was uniquely oddball and nicely

put together. I may have teared up, who knows- so what. : )   I'd also recommend Atlantics by Mati Diop. I saw it in a theater but it's also on Netflix. It's a beautifully shot film about oppressed workers, love and ghosts staged in Dakar. No work this past week so I cranked up the Laserdisc and watched some old favorites- Man Bites Dog, a serial killer mockumentary, Bagdad Cafe, Laws of Gravity, Putney Swope, and Mikhail Kalatozov's, I Am Cuba- worth watching for the first 5 or 6 minutes alone.

DaveSchmidt

I’ve enjoyed seeing the poster image on this thread all these weeks when I call up MOL. I know it won’t be there forever, but thanks to all for leaving it at least this long.

ridski

I took someone to see Man Bites Dog on a date. While I wouldn't recommend doing that, this April we'll have been married for 21 years. 

jimmurphy

Yeah, Saving Private Ryan on Valentines Day probably wasn’t a great call either.

DaveSchmidt

It was a group outing, but literally falling out of my seat into the aisle laughing during Princess Bride turned out to be my big move.

ridski

jimmurphy said:

Yeah, Saving Private Ryan on Valentines Day probably wasn’t a great call either.

Shaving Ryan's Privates is a much better movie anyway.

ridski

Saw Parasite tonight. 

Wow.

drummerboy

Have you seen Snowpiercer?

ridski

drummerboy said:

Yes. I’m on the fence with that one.

The_Soulful_Mr_T

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I really liked Snowpiercer. It's a bit silly, yes, but, exciting -  and I adore Tilda Swinton.

ridski

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

I really liked Snowpiercer. It's a bit silly, yes, but, exciting -  and I adore Tilda Swinton.

Yeah, I think my biggest issue with it was tone and pacing. The cast were all great, though. I’m intrigued about the tv series coming out this year.

The_Soulful_Mr_T

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

Yeah, I think my biggest issue with it was tone and pacing. The cast were all great, though. I’m intrigued about the tv series coming out this year.

There's a Snowpiercer TV series coming?!?  Jeez, Louise. That'll be weird.

ridski

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

ridski said:

drummerboy said:

There's a Snowpiercer TV series coming?!?  Jeez, Louise. That'll be weird.

Yep!

drummerboy

I haven't seen JoJo Rabbit yet, but here's a great essay/review on it

https://estheronfilm.com/2020/02/13/my-final-words-on-jojo-rabbit/

Esther doesn't like it.

The_Soulful_Mr_T

I saw JUDY the other day. Meh.

Your typical biopic with an actor doing a real good imitation of some star. The imitation was good (best actress worthy?) but the rest of the movie, the story, characters, scenarios, etc were flat. The Judy character was meant to carry the entire film I guess, but, as good as she was, it wasn’t enough. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T

Yesterday I saw The Photograph and Buffaloed. Enjoyed both. 

The former is a classic love story with two gorgeous and talented leads and nice back stories and supporting characters. (Issa Rae. Wow.) 
The latter is a wacky high-energy farce of sorts. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.