Morgan Le Fay Cat Rescue - Vampire Cats. The legend lives on.

Back to Petco today with Alice in Wonderland and Cinderella. They captured a few hearts but no one had room for the little girls. So today we will try again in our search for just the right castle!

Luna, (see above) was also there and insisting that Miley, a loveable grey and white cat with a little heart on her chest, not try to steal the show. It's not Miley's fault that she is an easy going cuddle cat. She was just born that way. Pictures coming up. Stop by and meet the girls.

Alice and Cinderella are being spayed tomorrow and after recovery will be going for a trial adoption. Trial since the gentlemen was thinking of one but ready to try 2! They will be sharing their home with a very sweet cat loving dog. I so hope this works.

In the meanwhile we are in a bit of a pinch and could use a couple of short term fosters for either Miley or Luna.

Also coming up for adoption an adorable all black male kitten who is too cute for his own good. Pictures coming up and although he came to me as Phoenix, I'm leaning towards Sirius Black.

Alice and Cinderella went to their new home on Saturday!

Phoenix a little black kitten rescued from AHS went to his new home on Friday!

And Miley fostered by bigben went to her home on Sunday!

Toes fostered by bigben went to her home!

And Marcus a little red kitten fostered by bigben went home last Saturday.

Might be a record for us with 6 cats and kittens adopted in 9 days.

Whew.

So many waiting in our neighboring towns of Irvington, Orange, East Orange and Newark all towns with no humane sheltering options.

So I guess break is over.

from Robert Roe:   People for Animals can help with stray feral cats.   Call them at 973-282-0890 x222.    

RobertRoe said:

from Robert Roe:   People for Animals can help with stray feral cats.   Call them at 973-282-0890 x222.    

Hey Bob, how about a mailing? I'm surprised that so many folks do not know about the Maplewood or the South Orange contract with PFA. Lots of queries on social media, both SOMA Lounge and Next Door.

Morganna said:

RobertRoe said:

Hey Bob, how about a mailing? I'm surprised that so many folks do not know about the Maplewood or the South Orange contract with PFA. Lots of queries on social media, both SOMA Lounge and Next Door.

What does the contract "do" that is different if the towns DID NOT have a contract with PFA?

ellenlynn said:

Morganna said:

RobertRoe said:

What does the contract "do" that is different if the towns DID NOT have a contract with PFA?

People for Animals works with the towns to craft Trap Neuter Return Ordinances. It is considered the humane method of managing community cats. Once the town adopts the ordinance and it is acceptable to have a colony, if People for Animals is the sponsor, they can be contacted for help. (Valerie is our contact in South Orange and Maplewood and her email is valerie@PFAonline.org If kittens are found they will remove the kittens, vet them and place them with their shelter partners. Adults will be trapped,spayed or neutered, vaccinated and then returned to the colony. Either the caretaker does the trapping or volunteers will help. The caretaker pays PFAs clinic at their reduced rate. Ferals are $55 with vaccinations and ear tip. Pet cats are $75 with vaccines on the van and $91 for pets at the Hillside location.The spay vans are less expensive. They keep records with the goal that the colony will not grow and in time with no new births will eventually die off.

Without this option, rescues like mine are contacted and quickly overwhelmed. One tiny rescue I did this June with only 2 kittens involved took a great deal of time and work as the one kitten needed his eye removed. Often people have no idea who to call and by the time they find a rescue with room (difficult when we are in the last cycle of kitten season) the kittens have become too feral to tame easily. This can take a foster family months of working with a single kitten. Moms with nursing kittens can tie up a rescue's foster for months, waiting for kittens to be weaned given 3 successive distemper shots, wormed maybe 3 times, given flea meds and then separated from the mom and socialized. Mom get spayed and of course there is the nerve wracking test for FIV/FELV.

The crazy thing is that it costs towns more to trap and kill, then to TNVR.

Hope that answers the question.

From Robert Roe:   A call to People for Animals about stray feral cats will result in the following steps: 1.  A people for Animals staff member will come to your home to assess the situation. 2.  They will survey the neighborhood to see who is feeding the cats. 3.  They will ask the person feeding the cats to become a caretaker of the feral cats and follow the rules in Township Ordinance.   4.  The staff member will help trap feral cats if needed.  5.  Captured cats will be spayed/neutered, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine, and ear tipped.  6.  Feral cats will be returned to the caretaker.

RobertRoe said:

From Robert Roe:   A call to People for Animals about stray feral cats will result in the following steps: 1.  A people for Animals staff member will come to your home to assess the situation. 2.  They will survey the neighborhood to see who is feeding the cats. 3.  They will ask the person feeding the cats to become a caretaker of the feral cats and follow the rules in Township Ordinance.   4.  The staff member will help trap feral cats if needed.  5.  Captured cats will be spayed/neutered, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine, and ear tipped.  6.  Feral cats will be returned to the caretaker.

Thanks Bob for the clarification. Can we schedule a spay van? Here is a poster for a Montclair event for Montclair residents only. How can we get one going in Maplewood/South Orange?

My friends at CPAW organized this but I'm sure we can get the word out locally. I think we can get TNVR going if we have a local van. I'll call or email you to discuss the logistics.

I also called PFA this morning to check on the Hillside price. I'll update the price above. At the Hillside location and the van it is 55 for a feral. The big difference for pets is 91 at Hillside but only 75 on the van. This will help many residents who will welcome the price and the convenience of the van.

In celebration of Community Cat Month, Communities Promoting Animal Welfare NJ (CPAW NJ) has partnered with People for Animals, Inc. (PFA) to offer a low cost Spay and Neuter Clinic for both companion cats and outdoor, feral or community cats who live in Montclair!

PRE-REGISTRATION BY OCTOBER 25 REQUIRED!

Low Cost Cat Spay/Neuter Day

Montclair Residents

Saturday, October 28

• Drop off 7 am, pickup 3 pm

• Acme Markets, 510 Valley Road, Montclair

• Cats must either reside in or be trapped within and returned to a location within the Township of Montclair; proof of residency required.  Space limited.

• Register by emailing telephone and other contact information to CPAW NJ at cpawnj@gmail.com.

$75 for companion cat, including spay/neuter, pre-surgical exam, mandatory green tattoo, pain medication, and medical waste fees

$55 for outdoor/community/feral cat, including spay/neuter, pre-surgical exam, mandatory eartip, and medical waste fees 

PFA will provide all cats rabies/FVRCP vaccinations at no charge (usually $19).

And…THE FIRST 10 OUTDOOR CATS REGISTERED WILL BE SPONOSRED BY

KB ELECTRIC: “PAW IT FORWARD”

In honor of Friday the 13th, we rescued 3 black kittens, and just for good measure, 2 black and whites, and 2 brown tabbies.  One will be up for adoption tomorrow at Petco, 11 to 3 in West Orange.

This is great information about PFA.  I hope more people take advantage of the low cost TNVR programs offered by PFA.  Especially if one wants to be a caregiver of a feral colony.  It is the right thing to do to prevent more kittens and keep colonies small and hopefully happy and safe.  Thank you Morgana and Bob!

Five years ago I would have said that I as a public health person am totally against TNVR.  Now, thanks to my new friends who are cat welfare advocates, i am totally for TNVR.  It really does work to reduce feral cat populations.  It really does reduce risk of rabies.  It really does by reducing feral cat populations, help birds.  And it does this in a much better humane way.

RobertRoe said:

Five years ago I would have said that I as a public health person am totally against TNVR.  Now, thanks to my new friends who are cat welfare advocates, i am totally for TNVR.  It really does work to reduce feral cat populations.  It really does reduce risk of rabies.  It really does by reducing feral cat populations, help birds.  And it does this in a much better humane way.

Thank you Bob! If the like button worked I would have hit it!

Bottle babies everywhere and pregnant females, (we're talking cats here).  It's October already! If this doesn't prove global warming what does?

Anyone want to foster? Associated Humane is bursting with cats and kittens. Elizabeth shelter is filled. There is a nursing mom with 5 kittens and today they got in a pregnant female. Plenty of kittens needing TLC.

Sadly Elizabeth shelter is in an out of the way industrial area and opens a little over an hour a day during the week. Just like East Orange Animal Shelter, and Livingston and West Orange and almost everywhere in NJ. If people don't see them, they don't adopt them.  So they sit in a dark cage in an out of the way compound often in a place no one knows exist.

Fosters or adopters needed.

"Saving one animal won't change the world, but it will change the world for that one animal."

Red Head alert! And this is a rare classic tabby girl! Young, friendly, cat friendly and spayed, tested negative for FIV/FELV and UTD on shots. Her foster mom says she is a sweetheart.

I have this flyer as a pdf but couldn't figure out best way to post.  This is an informative flyer which can be posted on bulletin boards around town or sent in a mailing to all town residents, should the Health Dept. consider doing this...  Bob Roe?  Rec'd flyer (pdf) from Valerie at PFA.

cats said:

I have this flyer as a pdf but couldn't figure out best way to post.  This is an informative flyer which can be posted on bulletin boards around town or sent in a mailing to all town residents, should the Health Dept. consider doing this...  Bob Roe?  Rec'd flyer (pdf) from Valerie at PFA.

I like the town mailing idea and it has been suggested to Bob and hopefully being considered. If I get an original I will scan it in and post.

In the past few weeks we have been inundated with requests to save kittens and we have been struggling to do so. The result is a late in the season plethora of kittens in a range of ages and colors! Place your orders please! Pictures coming. Right now we are too busy bottle feeding!

This little tabby boy is irresistible.

Thinking of a name for him.

Morganna said:

Cherokee?

Tigger!

ina said:

Morganna said:

Cherokee?

Tigger!

Well if he were Tigger it would send me down the road of naming 2 of his little friends Pooh and Eyore. I get into a theme. Wait till I post his 2 foster friends.

OK, drumroll please. Meet Cherokee's little friends Cheyenne and Apache.

Cherokee will be going to his new home!

Apache and Cheyenne are waiting and ready! Take a look at the new kitty pics!

OMG...they are scrumptious!  rolleyes 

maggiesmom said:

OMG...they are scrumptious!  rolleyes 

Now to get pictures of the  black triplets! All boys and all loveable.

The triplets after their first bubble bath. Ready to meet adopters.

Sometimes you have to clean between your toesies.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!