MOL knitters

Destash dates?  My schedule is pretty crazy during the week, so a Saturday afternoon / evening would be optimal...  Probably ought to plan a few weeks in advance to see if we could get the word out - these things are always better with a crowd.  Are there any good / bad Saturdays in February?  Anybody?

Would someone please tell me about the Boyden School knitting program?

jasper said:

Okay, all you woolly people, this is months away, but worth putting on your calendar now and attending in September: http://www.njsheep.org/festival/index.html

Great variety of yarns without being completely overwhelming and overcrowded, all within an hour's drive.

HAs anyone been to this?  How does it compare to the October festival in Rhinebeck NY?

Destash evening of saturday 1/30 or sunday 1/31?

Rats--I'm away that weekend, unless I can convince my husband to go instead. But if that works for everyone else, so be it. Otherwise, the next weekend works for me. . . .

snowmom said:
jasper said:

Okay, all you woolly people, this is months away, but worth putting on your calendar now and attending in September: http://www.njsheep.org/festival/index.html

Great variety of yarns without being completely overwhelming and overcrowded, all within an hour's drive.

HAs anyone been to this?  How does it compare to the October festival in Rhinebeck NY?

It's much smaller, which may not be a bad thing. Rhinebeck is extremely crowded on Saturdays, long lines for vendors, some stalls you can't even get into. There are lots of animals and stuff to see and buy but it can also be overwhelming. Sundays are better, but it's still massive and crowded, just less insanely than it is on Saturday. 

I haven't been to the NJ festival, but I really want to check it out this year. 

addiemoose said:

Destash evening of saturday 1/30 or sunday 1/31?

I'm in.  Either Sat or Sun works for me.

Coffeegretchen said:
snowmom said:
jasper said:

It's much smaller, which may not be a bad thing. Rhinebeck is extremely crowded on Saturdays, long lines for vendors, some stalls you can't even get into. There are lots of animals and stuff to see and buy but it can also be overwhelming. Sundays are better, but it's still massive and crowded, just less insanely than it is on Saturday. 

I haven't been to the NJ festival, but I really want to check it out this year. 

I haven't been to the Rhineback festival, but was told by one of the vendors at the Ringoes show that the Rhinebeck one is like the Ringoes one on steroids. Personally, I'd much rather avoid the much longer drive and the crowds. This was my first time at the Ringoes show, but it was perfectly pleasant with plenty to see and buy, and no contention at all.

I think the other big difference is the classes/workshops. There are tons of them at the Rhinebeck show per their site, but this is the only workshop listed for last year's Ringoes show: http://www.njsheep.org/festival/spinning_workshops.html, though it certainly sounds worth doing for $10, even if you never spin again, and I would try it if offered this coming fall.

While the classes at the Rhinebeck show sound very appealing, they're quite expensive, and I sometimes find with these kinds of classes that you have to make the prescribed thing the instructor is teaching rather than what you would choose to make, so it can be a bit limiting on top of the cost.

I'd love to do the destash!  Either of the dates work for me. 

I have been to both the NJ sheep and wool festival and Rhinebeck many times.  They are both wonderful but really can't even be compared.  It's beyond steroids--Rhinebeck is at least 100 x bigger.  I really enjoy the NJ festival but can feel satisfied that I've seen and done it all in about 2 hours, while I spend 2 days at Rhinebeck and feel that I explored the tip of the iceberg.    

I recommend classes at Rhinebeck, as they are a great opportunity to take a break from the crowds. Not to mention the awesome teachers.  And 3 hours spent in a class pays for itself because you can't shop while you are in class!!

I think every knitter should make the trek to Rhinebeck at least one time.  It's such an incredible feeling to be surrounded by "your people", all sporting amazing examples of their craft.  People talk to each other, trading compliments and questions about patterns and yarns... it's really special.  Not to mention the beautiful leaves and yummy food.  And the fiber!!! It may be my favorite weekend of the year.  

frances said:

And 3 hours spent in a class pays for itself because you can't shop while you are in class!!

Well that's a clever way to look at it! I will say that I spent quite a bit at the Ringoes show, and I shudder to think how easy it would be to blow a ton of cash at the Rhinebeck one.

Okay, maybe I'll give the Rhinebeck show a go next fall as well, and try to sign up for a class.

Totally agree! I've been to Rhinebeck a handful of times, and because I do most of my yarn shopping online, I use it as an opportunity for research, and really haven't spent much at all. (This year I bought an unusual knitting bag and one skein of Rhinebeck-special yarn). To me, the fun of it is seeing and identifying handknits in the wild, a little like bird watching. Plus, it's often perfect sweater weather. And the sheep! I love watching the judges.

frances said:

It's such an incredible feeling to be surrounded by "your people", all sporting amazing examples of their craft.  

Let's do Saturday 1/30 Destashing night, 8, at Coda? Village coffee closes at 8... Who's in?

Me!  I'm absolutely in.  That date gives me time to revisit my stash and make sure I bring everything that I know I won't be knitting with in the foreseeable future.

I can't do a Saturday night, unfortunately--afternoon is usually fine but Saturday nights are out. Sorry to miss it!.

Aw, shucks, I'm out of town next weekend. Have fun!

I'd like to join you!

@mauras would you be able to do sunday night? that could work too.

addiemoose said:

@mauras would you be able to do sunday night? that could work too.

That would work! 

Saturday night doesn't work for me  but daytime or Sunday night does

Let's do Sunday night then, at Coda, at 8? Bring all your yarn you want to offload, also needles and books. yay!

Unfortunately, I can't do Sunday night due to a stoopid early wake up time on Monday.  

would earlier in the evening work for you, @mergele?

If this weekend ends up not working out, count me in for another date! (Monday evening after Mergele's early wake-up?)

yes, I vote for a day when the most of us can be there. How's 2/1, like zucca suggests? 8 pm coda?

I could do a late afternoon on Sunday, but I commute early during the week and so I'm pretty much limited to weekends.  I would love to do this, but please go ahead without me if Sunday night is best for everyone else.

This coming Sunday night is good for me, but if we reschedule, weekend late afternoons are best for me, fwiw.

Sounds like maybe you should stick to your original plan, since it worked for all but me and mergele, it seems. We'll get in on the next one!

Let's do Sunday night then, at Coda, at 8? Bring all your yarn you want to offload, also needles and books. I'll be wearing a sweater!

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.