Michelle Obama plays the reverse race card archived

racism is ever prevalent and its demise is not on the horizon, no matter how far people have come in respecting each others differences.

I think its part of our nature to huddle together in the groups we feel comfortable in, birds of a feather, while at the same time disallowing others of different natures access. That said racism is abhorent and vile.

To deny its presence is to shut ones senses to all outside your own huddle and pretend that there is no outside that is different from your own perception.

GL2 said:

tom, you might ask gibberlin for a citation explaining the death of the horse.

Kind of pedantic but funny anecdote that always comes to mind with that expression (ie "beating a dead horse"):

The philosopher William James, brother to author Henry James, studied painting with the intention of becoming an artist when he was young. The James' father was a sort of amateur philosopher who published or self-published several unsuccessful works. For one of his later books, William designed a frontispiece of a man beating a dead horse.

As I said, pedantic but funny.

hoops said:

To deny its presence is to shut ones senses to all outside your own huddle and pretend that there is no outside that is different from your own perception.

He's already said there's no outside and that all experience is subjective. When I ask him how that allows him to determine that no one can experience racism or to state without qualifications that racism doesn't exist and that, alternatively, "reverse racism" does exist, all I get is.... crickets.

Agree entirely, hoops. Evolutionary biologists see this suspicion of others as a natural form of defensiveness.

When our ancestors heard a rustling in the bushes, it was more advantageous to imagine it was a tiger than a vole.

Same with groups of "others."

Here's a measure of whether reverse racism exists: think white people ever worry that they won't be able to move into a black neighborhood? whether one's whiteness was responsible for not getting that job? whether the population at large judges me based on my race? or sees my behavior as representing others of my race?

When whites practice racism, it pushes Af Ams and others down; when Af Ams and others practice racial animosity, IT STILL pushes them down. It's a lose/lose.

tom said:

Let's all agree that, just like "uppity" has no meaning, none of the words he uses have any meaning either.

Yep. That way you can all go on living in your comforting fantasy world where there is pervasive racism on the right and so your opposition is morally inferior to you.

Did someone say something? Sounds like a vole whispering but I can't quite make it out.

Zoinks said:

tom said:

Let's all agree that, just like "uppity" has no meaning, none of the words he uses have any meaning either.

Yep. That way you can all go on living in your comforting fantasy world where there is pervasive racism on the right and so your opposition is morally inferior to you.

Racism isn't limited to "the right".

I didn't hear anyone say this, but perhaps I missed it. I don't think most of us believe this, those it's pretty easy to see the prevalence of racism among some right-wingers.

I'll gladly admit that racism is not limited to Republicans. That said, it seems to me that you are the one who is demonizing the opposition by making this accusation.

Yup, no racism in Zoinks' world; Ron Paul is viable and sane; and more newsletters don't keep leaking out of Ron's racist past. But we're in a fantasy world.

Zoinks said:

I have no idea what you mean by "fantasy world."

mjh said:

Ah but the left isn't concerned about any expressions of bigotry that may emanate from someone on the left. Those, like wealth of those on the left, are OK because they are one of you.

As many times as folks say it isn't the wealth, Zoinks keeps repeating the evasion, even in the face of Hollywood types, Buffet, and a host of other fabulously rich people libs do support specifically because they have little self-interest in balancing tax rates.

Meanwhile, it's the faux con populists who are newly-energized by recent events as they try to slow the Mitt train. Dems are just bystanders.

Zoinks said:

mjh said:

Ah but the left isn't concerned about any expressions of bigotry that may emanate from someone on the left. Those, like wealth of those on the left, are OK because they are one of you.

Bullsh*t

Limbaugh's obsession with "reparations" is indicative of something.

Yes, it ties elements of race to wealth redistribution.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/wifi-signal-racist-anti-semitic-slur-teaneck-nj-sparks-police-probe-signal-rec-center-router-article-1.1008135?localLinksEnabled=false

but theres no racism...

you-know-who will try to claim that F____ and N_______ are just letters followed by underscores, and it's all in your head if you think they intended real words there.

I have said over and over that their are fringe elements and kooks out there. This would seem to be part of that. As such it really does not amount to a hill of beans.

But keep trying.

Let me know when you come up with something real and not from out on the fringe.

Something disciplinary definitely needs to happen to that guy, but the idea of being arrested for having an offensively-named wifi router sticks in my craw for some reason.

ETA: Not as much as Zoinks' answer, which simply dismisses anything anyone says or does as "fringe".

good point ridski. i dont think its right for him to be arrested either, or for what possible charge since anyone could rant about anyone else is a racist manner without getting hauled off to court.

maybe a virus can be sent to his router that forces a picture like this to be displayed on his computer -

hoops said:

good point ridski. i dont think its right for him to be arrested either, or for what possible charge since anyone could rant about anyone else is a racist manner without getting hauled off to court.

maybe a virus can be sent to his router that forces a picture like this to be displayed on his computer -

Or just subscribe him to Pandora and have it play Sammy Davis Jr 24/7.

The only thing I can imagine is that by having that as his SSID, he is effectively broadcasting. I could see an FCC fine. I can't see what criminal charges could be brought.

@mjh it's interesting you'd post that. I've stated many times on MOL that both my husband and I are of mixed backgrounds. Relatives who don't, um really look like us, are very quick to point out that they see racism and have over heard many, many racist comments and/or jokes. When these relatives state they they have black or mixed family members, there's a hush in the room. Even in this day and age. I guess only a few MOL'ers don't see racism and wouldn't know how to identify it.

There's a certain irony when, in other political contexts, we liberals are tagged by cons as out-of-touch with the rest of the country because we live in the M/SO bubble -- the rest of America is so different we can't relate.

But when it comes to racism, cons don't see any in the bubble and assume that the rest of the country is just like here.

ridski said:

Something disciplinary definitely needs to happen to that guy, but the idea of being arrested for having an offensively-named wifi router sticks in my craw for some reason.

ETA: Not as much as Zoinks' answer, which simply dismisses anything anyone says or does as "fringe".

when I read the article, it appears that the culprit went in to a router at a Teaneck rec center and renamed the network. sounds like vandalism to me. it's not like some guy named his home network with ethnic slurs.

tom said:

There's a certain irony when, in other political contexts, we liberals are tagged by cons as out-of-touch with the rest of the country because we live in the M/SO bubble -- the rest of America is so different we can't relate.

But when it comes to racism, cons don't see any in the bubble and assume that the rest of the country is just like here.

What happens is that the left sees and assumes the worst in everyone which is why they think that the small enlightened elite must keep firm control over everyone and everything. Libertarians see the best in everyone and say that everyone is fully capable of being left alone to make their way in the world.

When you drive your car here in New Jersey, do you assume the worst in everyone? Or do you assume the best?

I do not stop at every intersection regardless of whether the other road has the stop sign or the red light so I am certainly not assuming the worst.

ml1 said:

ridski said:

when I read the article, it appears that the culprit went in to a router at a Teaneck rec center and renamed the network. sounds like vandalism to me. it's not like some guy named his home network with ethnic slurs.

From what I read in the original article posted, it didn't sound it was the rec center's router.

'A bigot named their WiFi signal “F--- All Jews and N----” — and now cops are investigating.'

'"It's appalling to me," said Parker, who is black. "It's horrifying to me that a person could hate a group of people so much that they give that name to their router. It's very troublesome. We need to get to the bottom of this."'

Emphasis mine. Of course, we won't know until the actual facts come out so whoever did this could have done exactly what you mentioned.

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!