Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I think if the Mets are taking the long view it's Hill, the older rent an arm, that will bounce in and out.  They need to see if Megill is for real, and keep building for the future.  The best thing about new ownership is that we can actually believe that they intend to build a system for long term success.

FilmCarp said:

I think if the Mets are taking the long view it's Hill, the older rent an arm, that will bounce in and out.  They need to see if Megill is for real, and keep building for the future.  The best thing about new ownership is that we can actually believe that they intend to build a system for long term success.

I try to be cautious about guys who come up and have what seems like instant success.  But Megill looks like he's got talent and the right temperament to be successful.  So I agree with you that the team really needs to give him a chance to see if it's real.

Well, looks like Peterson is done for the year.

FilmCarp said:

Well, looks like Peterson is done for the year.

how weird is that injury?  And he's the 2nd NL East pitcher to go down for the season by hurting himself walking through the clubhouse.  I feel bad for Mike Soroka who reinjured his Achilles walking through the Atlanta clubhouse.

All right! 2 Series wins against good teams! 

This coming five-game stretch with the Braves is, and I don't think I'm being hyperbolic, critical. I'd love to see them go 3-2. 4-1 and I'd he ecstatic.

Good series.  I hope they can rack up a few wins.  Mid August I think they play 7 in a row against SF and LA.   A cushion would be good.

FilmCarp said:

Good series.  I hope they can rack up a few wins.  Mid August I think they play 7 in a row against SF and LA.   A cushion would be good.

I think it's 13 in a row against SF and LA. 

Train_of_Thought said:

ml1 said:

I'm amused by the fact that I feel like persona non grata here because I'm too optimistic. I guess that's because being a Mets fan is supposed to be an experience in disappointment and letdown, and I'm going against that. 

grin

YOU'RE persona non grata??? I sneeze and Soul suspends me.

You haven't been suspended this season, have you?

there are rumors that the Mets are kicking the tires on a Max Scherzer deal:

Martino reiterated his report from Sunday that the Mets intend to check in on impending free agent Max Scherzer but noted that many in the industry doubt that general manager Mike Rizzo will trade the ace to a division rival.

Mets 'all over pitching market'; Max in play?

man, I hated to see him pitch against the Mets, and I loved those times in 2015 when they beat him like a drum (except the no-hitter which came in a meaningless game).  And the whole "Mad Max" thing was annoying to me as a fan of a rival.  But I'll just say if the Mets land him for the stretch, and he's Mad Max pitching at the top of his game, the fans will LOVE him.  It would almost certainly be for only a few months, but he'd make a mark with this team.  He's built for NY.

Here's a question that isn't based on today's game.  Is Conforto worth a big contract?  He is very streaky, and really has had three good years out of five.  I don't count 2020 as a year. Is there a better right fielder available in the off season?  Maybe there isn't.  

FilmCarp said:

Here's a question that isn't based on today's game.  Is Conforto worth a big contract?  He is very streaky, and really has had three good years out of five.  I don't count 2020 as a year. Is there a better right fielder available in the off season?  Maybe there isn't.  

I don't have an answer to that. He's a good player and he's part of the fabric of the team at this point. But if they got a legit good fielding CF, I think Conforto becomes expendable with Nimmo going to RF. Although the pending NL DH may change that calculation. But if I'm putting a budget together for the next few years I think I'm giving priority to pitchers over a RF. 

My feeling is if I'm hoping for a guy to get hit by a pitch with the bases loaded, because that's the only way he'll get the run in then I think I'm ready for them to look for another rightfielder. 

Duda 2.0. Streak machine, both good and bad, very bad.

Move on unless he comes cheap, which is unlikely.

Castellanos would be nice, but I would think the Reds are going to sign him. I like Starling Marte as well. I'm not so sure about the other options - Pham, Rosario, Blackmon, McCutchen and Soler. 

I assume there was some reason for not starting Nimmo against the lefty in the first game of the DH instead of Conforto. Conforto is in a slump and isn't hitting anybody. Nimmo has been having good at bats every time he's up there. 

If Conforto doesn't have a great year I could see him accepting the QO and giving it another shot next year. 

ml1 said:

If Conforto doesn't have a great year I could see him accepting the QO and giving it another shot next year. 

If?

I’d sign up for that just to see another year of a motivated Conforto, hopefully in another meaningful season. I’m sure he’d like to stay.

jimmurphy said:

If?

I’d sign up for that just to see another year of a motivated Conforto, hopefully in another meaningful season. I’m sure he’d like to stay.

if he gets hot for the last couple months plus the postseason it won't look like a bad season for him, especially having missed five weeks with an injury. It's been a bad season for him so far but he has enough time to turn it around and attract attention in free agency. 

ml1 said:

if he gets hot for the last couple months plus the postseason it won't look like a bad season for him, especially having missed five weeks with an injury. It's been a bad season for him so far but he has enough time to turn it around and attract attention in free agency. 

And he might! But Give me a consistent .260 hitter over a streaky .275, with lots of garbage time hits, hitter anytime.

McNeil!

jimmurphy said:

And he might! But Give me a consistent .260 hitter over a streaky .275, with lots of garbage time hits, hitter anytime.

McNeil!

I'm not sure I'm in agreement. Guys who can carry a team for a couple of weeks are valuable too. And he's developed into a pretty good outfielder. Having said that I don't know that I'd bust the budget for him. He's a good player but how much more valuable is he than Smith or Nimmo?  He's a better fielder but how much better is he at the plate, if at all?

Agree on the budget-busting comment.

Nice player. But guys who get occasionally hot (or at least their agents) want to get paid like guys who are *always* hot, based on their “potential” to figure it out and always be hot. 

ml1 said:

jimmurphy said:

McNeil!

I'm not sure I'm in agreement. Guys who can carry a team for a couple of weeks are valuable too. And he's developed into a pretty good outfielder. Having said that I don't know that I'd bust the budget for him. He's a good player but how much more valuable is he than Smith or Nimmo?  He's a better fielder but how much better is he at the plate, if at all?

For this entire season I have been happier when Smith or Nimmo were at bat in any situation instead of Conforto.  In any high pressure RBI situation I'd vote McNeil, Nimmo, Villar, Smith, Guillorme.  Those guys can hit a single when needed.  I love Alonso, but my unscientific gut says that he kills it for a game and the next day kills three rallies.  I know that's not true, but I like small ball most of the time and it just feels like there are a lot of DPs.  I haven't got a feel for Lindor in the clutch, but I do like him on the team.  McCann never seems to get a single when needed.  I think Nido is better offensively this year.

All that to say I agree with jimmurphy.

Loved him on the Mets.

Never understood why they let him go. He still had a few good years left in him. 

jfinnegan said:

Never understood why they let him go. He still had a few good years left in him. 

He is from Seattle. And they offered him $20M to play there. 

Eh, he would have stayed. It was an adjustment seeing Zeile there. 

jfinnegan said:

Eh, he would have stayed. It was an adjustment seeing Zeile there. 

Not sure what this means. Please explain.

I must confess that I had a gap in my rabid Met-fandom from ‘89 to ‘98. I was in the Army/stationed out in CA and access to games wasn’t what is is now. Following box scores wasn’t the same and let’s face it, that was a lost decade. I barely saw Olerud.

Say what you will, but Loup, a trusted arm, just got in big trouble and Familia kicked **** and got him out of it!

Well done by the Family Man and Rojas, who pushes the right button more often than not.

I WOULD like to know why the Olerud photo looks like he was pitching to Al Simmons in 1925.

Train_of_Thought said:

I WOULD like to know why the Olerud photo looks like he was pitching to Al Simmons in 1925.

the cap is very Walter Johnson-ish

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.