Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Do you bring back Walker on short rest? He only pitched 1/3 inning…

I thought Stroman was pitching today. They might have to bring Walker in. I don't know who else is available today other than Stock, Nogosek, Drew Smith and Loup. Maybe Familia is. Going to have to score at least 7 runs probably again.

I wasn't suggesting Walker for today.  Maybe Thursday, which would be 3 days rest and the opportunity to get a bullpen in today.

Pretty sure Stock will start tonight. And Strohman tomorrow.

It is good to see Conforto improving.  When he is on his swing looks very easy.  

At press time, I believe Walker is slated for Saturday vs. Matz.

Train_of_Thought said:

At press time, I believe Walker is slated for Saturday vs. Matz.

That's just regular rest.  Given what is essentially a pitching emergency,  I was hoping they'd do something "irregular" and take advantage of his short outing. 

Never thought I would say this, but they could use Matz right about now.

I saw some of Carrasco's start. That was disconcerting. Certainly didn't look like he would be ready for a start next week. 

jfinnegan said:

I saw some of Carrasco's start. That was disconcerting. Certainly didn't look like he would be ready for a start next week. 

I hear that, but fingers crossed it is like spring training when they are working on pitches rather than focused on results.

Competitive game tonight, despite yet another injury to a pitcher in Stock running the bases. Gotta think the pen is ready to implode.

Wait, still in first! Still competitive. Homer from Pete again... Can’t win em all. ;-)

They hung in last night. I didn't expect it to be close especially when Stock went down after 1 inning. I think Carrasco won't be back until at least mid-August. I assume he was working on stuff, which would explain the walks, but his pitches looked slow with very little movement. I'm guessing they're going to see how Carrasco does his next start before they trade for a starter. They need the off day tomorrow. I think they said the bullpen has pitched 23 innings over the last 3 days. Too bad Keith wasn't on last night to comment on Nogosek's moustache.

Stroman is pitching my dream game today. Pitching to contact, no nibbling around hitters.  

And we need some easy laughers after all of these crazy games.

that was just what they needed. I would have thought he would want to stay in for the one hit shutout, but he was looking at his hand I think in the 7th inning.

jfinnegan said:

Too bad Keith wasn't on last night...

I'll take "Things Train_of_Thought Will Never Say" for $600, Alex.

cheese

Nice job with Billy McKinney.  They were releasing him, and instead they get a prospect and McKinney gets to keep earning a ML salary.  Good all around.

Train_of_Thought said:

If I had the power to suspend, I would.

Perhaps I should alert the commish. ;-)

In the three person booth Keith is great. When it's only two, not so much. 

And fwiw, I'm watching the Yanks game, rooting hard for them to beat the Phils. Their broadcast team is OK but they can't compare to the Mets broadcasters. Gary Cohen is the best. And how lucky are we to have him doing Seton Hall basketball?

jimmurphy said:

Train_of_Thought said:

If I had the power to suspend, I would.

Perhaps I should alert the commish. ;-)

LOVE Keith the player, Keith the Met. And he seems like a good person. Just not a fan of Keith the broadcaster, for a slew of reasons. I know I'm alone. I'll save u the trouble and suspend myself for the heresy. See u in a few weeks.

Train_of_Thought said:

LOVE Keith the player, Keith the Met. And he seems like a good person. Just not a fan of Keith the broadcaster, for a slew of reasons. I know I'm alone. I'll save u the trouble and suspend myself for the heresy. See u in a few weeks.

Ha! 

A 4-game lead with 69 games to play. And the hitting seems to be heating up. I'll take it. It looks likely the wild cards are going to come from the NL West so the Mets have to work hard for the division title to make the postseason.  Assuming everyone is healthy, their 3-man rotation is pretty hard to beat.

mrincredible said:

A 4-game lead with 69 games to play. And the hitting seems to be heating up. I'll take it. It looks likely the wild cards are going to come from the NL West so the Mets have to work hard for the division title to make the postseason.  Assuming everyone is healthy, their 3-man rotation is pretty hard to beat.

nice pickup today of Rich Hill for guys who were not going to figure into plans for this year.  He probably slots right into the rotation on Sunday.

I agree, that's a good pick up.  He doesn't need to be lights out, just reliable.

I can't figure out why the Rays got rid of him, but I'll take it. Megill has been huge. And a 1-2-3 inning from Diaz was nice to see. 

jfinnegan said:

I can't figure out why the Rays got rid of him, but I'll take it. Megill has been huge. And a 1-2-3 inning from Diaz was nice to see. 

it seems like Megill is the real deal. I'd hate to see Hill take innings from him. 

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

it seems like Megill is the real deal. I'd hate to see Hill take innings from him. 

I don't see that happening.  Even when deGrom isn't hurt the Mets are short a starter

The first two outs for Diaz were hit pretty hard but then again those were pretty serious hitters.  I'll take it if for nothing else, Diaz's mental state.  

I'm okay with using the defense to get outs.  I much prefer that to nibbling around hitters for 8 pitches and then either striking them out or walking them.  Mets relievers this year (maybe all relievers, I don't know) seem to walk the first guy they face way too often.  Even if you throw a hittable pitch even the best hitters will make an out 7/10 of the time.

FilmCarp said:

I'm okay with using the defense to get outs.  I much prefer that to nibbling around hitters for 8 pitches and then either striking them out or walking them.  Mets relievers this year (maybe all relievers, I don't know) seem to walk the first guy they face way too often.  Even if you throw a hittable pitch even the best hitters will make an out 7/10 of the time.

exactly.  with a three run lead a pitcher should be challenging the hitters.

FilmCarp said:

ml1 said:

jfinnegan said:

I don't see that happening.  Even when deGrom isn't hurt the Mets are short a starter

I'm still assuming Carrasco will join the team at some point in the next week or two.  If he and deGrom are healthy, that leaves three slots in the rotation for some combination of Stroman, Walker, Hill and Megill.  If Megill keeps it up though I could see Hill going to the bullpen for a long relief/spot starter role.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.