Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

They scored more than 2.4 runs!

The most surprising HR I think I've ever seen. Morton made McCann look so baffled in all of his ABs until he hung one curve. 

Am I allowed to feel doom and gloom about the Mets today, or do I still need to be optimistic? Maybe the strategy was to exhaust the Braves hitters.  While ours continue to rest up.

FilmCarp said:

Am I allowed to feel doom and gloom about the Mets today, or do I still need to be optimistic? Maybe the strategy was to exhaust the Braves hitters.  While ours continue to rest up.

hey, if it makes you feel good to feel bad go right ahead. But it still only counts as one loss. 

Almora hits like a pitcher. I guess he was about as good as any of the pitchers last night.

Back in the winter I was pretty adamant I didn't want this guy on the Mets.  At the very least he's always been a major league ****.  I know he's innocent until proven guilty, but even if things happened the way his lawyers are saying, it's pretty creepy even if it wouldn't be criminal.  Mets dodged a bullet when he turned them down.

Woman says in domestic violence restraining order that Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer strangled her unconscious on multiple occasions during sex

ml1 said:

Back in the winter I was pretty adamant I didn't want this guy on the Mets.  At the very least he's always been a major league ****.  I know he's innocent until proven guilty, but even if things happened the way his lawyers are saying, it's pretty creepy even if it wouldn't be criminal.  Mets dodged a bullet when he turned them down.

Woman says in domestic violence restraining order that Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer strangled her unconscious on multiple occasions during sex

Read about that this morning. Completely agreed. 

I wonder if MLB will take action even if he is not charged. 

Tonight is the best evidence of why deGrom is so special. The whole thing was spiraling away from him, and he made corrections mid game. It's why he so rarely has a really bad game. He's a genius on the mound. 

BTW -- Braves organist playing "Money" as Lindor walks up. 

Darn it, Dom, I need to go to bed.

Loss without a ball leaving the infield. That hurts more than 20-2. 

So how much longer does this hitting coach get? I read an article in The Athletic saying that they hit better later in the game, because most of their hitters have problems with offspeed and breaking pitches. A lot of relievers don't have good breaking pitches. It showed Lindor is hitting .087 when the curveball ends up being the last pitch of the AB.

Cohen said he wanted a WS in 5 years.  Maybe he is using this year to let his new hitting coaches learn on the job.  But man, these guys need to translate analytics better.  The uppercut swing is not a good thing.  Mike Schmidt had a great interview yesterday where he basically said that hitters don't know how to hit anymore, and that  there is no shame in a strikeout anymore.  At this point, what kind of contract would you offer Conforto?  

FilmCarp said:

…. At this point, what kind of contract would you offer Conforto?  

That’s gonna be a tough one. He reminds me of Duda with the streakiness at the plate. 

Conforto is probably the last guy I want to see at the plate in a clutch situation. It irritated me that he, Lindor and McNeil couldn't figure out a way to at least make contact off of Nola to end the streak. 

Very, very, very happy the Mets did not sign this a-hole.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/trevor-bauer-dodgers-mlb-administrative-leave-assault-allegations-174332925.html

With a set of serious assault allegations looming, MLB placed Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer on administrative leave on Friday, the league announced with a statement.....

He was always an ahole but now seems like a sociopath.

Watching McNeill with that uppercut swing is just sad.  He was my favorite Met.

FilmCarp said:

Yeah, he started that crap in the second half of ‘19.

They should make Keith the hitting coach and mic him up so he can still be on the broadcast.

FilmCarp said:

maybe he read your post.  The leadoff hit in the 9th was what we expect from McNeil grin

Exactly.  That hit was vintage.  I loved it.  

I was watching quarterfinal in the UEFA 2021 tournament.  Denmark won, so all is well.

Then, rather than watching the last QF, Tabby (Yankees fan) insisted that we switch to the Yankees/Mets game.

All is even better.

These two announcers on ESPN, arod and who knows who, are horrible.  Good first game for the Mets.

so a question for the group -- did the Mets really, really miss Brandon Nimmo as much as it appeared this weekend?

From the Athletic (sorry, it's subscription only so I'm not linking to it.  It's their weekly MLB power rankings, so the rest of article isn't relevant to this discussion):

It was four winters ago that then-GM and now-team president Sandy Alderson joked the Mets didn’t need to go after Giancarlo Stanton because they had Brandon Nimmo coming up in the outfield. Nimmo, at that point, was a fourth outfielder whose presence wasn’t enough to prevent the Mets from signing Jay Bruce for three years.  

And then, since the start of the 2018 season, Nimmo has pretty thoroughly outplayed Stanton.

but the last link in the quote?  Definitely check that one out.  And if you want to annoy a Yankees fan friend, send it to him/her.

Nimmo at least came back hitting.  Looking at the team and Cohen's plan to win a WS in 5 years, he's not high on my list for replacement.  There are other areas that really need more attention.  But I think the fact that the Yankees really aren't great helped the Mets more.  Milwaukee will be tougher.

FilmCarp said:

Nimmo at least came back hitting.  Looking at the team and Cohen's plan to win a WS in 5 years, he's not high on my list for replacement.  There are other areas that really need more attention.  But I think the fact that the Yankees really aren't great helped the Mets more.  Milwaukee will be tougher.

how bad was the Yankees' infield this weekend? So many softly struck balls going through. I don't know if it's positioning or just poor fielding, but they looked like the 2019-20 Mets. 

Okay, I wasn't too happy when they could have added to their lead in the 8th and couldn't score with no outs and the bases loaded. That's the kind of thing we've just seen too much of over the years. But they got the W so that's what counts. 

mrincredible said:

Okay, I wasn't too happy when they could have added to their lead in the 8th and couldn't score with no outs and the bases loaded. That's the kind of thing we've just seen too much of over the years. But they got the W so that's what counts. 

I felt the same way.  I did not really want to complain about a win over a good team, but missing an opportunity like that against a good team was bad. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.