Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

ml1 said:

yahooyahoo said:

I agree with the opting out part.  Not the Yankees part.

he has an opt out after 2022. That's a lot of time for the lineup to start scoring some runs. And if he gets  another Cy Young with only 10 wins, will he care about the run support enough to leave this situation in which he's excelling? 

I was mistaken, then.  I thought the opt out was after this season.  

I wonder what the ERA is of opposing pitchers when deGrom is on the mound. And how that compares to their usual ERA.

Do they somehow all mentally amp themselves up to pitch against him?

mrincredible said:

I wonder what the ERA is of opposing pitchers when deGrom is on the mound. And how that compares to their usual ERA.

Do they somehow all mentally amp themselves up to pitch against him?

Nah, the Mets' hitters psyche themselves out.

jimmurphy said:

Nah, the Mets' hitters psyche themselves out.

Nope. Something happens when deGrom pitches that goes well beyond the normal Mets batting anemia.

mrincredible said:

Nope. Something happens when deGrom pitches that goes well beyond the normal Mets batting anemia.

I’m open to a duality of factors.

Two runs on a strikeout. Never seen that before.

That was a hell of a finish!

I'm such a confused fan.  Diaz has been so good I wss shocked at his meltdown, and then caught myself being pleased that Familia was in.  That leaves me all screwy.    The Mets have their issues for sure, but I have to say they put together a good bench last off season.

I do wonder why if they are using a pitcher to pinch hit they wouldn't use DeGrom.  

The Mets lucked out that the Phillies Bullpen melted down just a little bit harder than their own. I was also surprised by Diaz, a four-run lead should have been plenty. And yes I will admit that when Familia came in, I was a little worried.

The sound of Alonso's bat hitting a ball for his bases-clearing double is one that was just so satisfying to hear. I would love that sound for my text message alert on my phone.

One interesting fact from last night was that the Hoskins double would not have made it to the RF fence in 25 of 30 MLB ballparks. So in most parks it would have been a long flyout and we wouldn't be thinking Diaz's outing was that bad. 

CBP is kind of a joke with regard to the dimensions. I was on the field for a concert and remember looking toward the plate from right center and thinking even I could hit one out. Of course I couldn't but it's telling how surprised I was by the shallowness of RF there. 

ml1 said:

One interesting fact from last night was that the Hoskins double would not have made it to the RF fence in 25 of 30 MLB ballparks. So in most parks it would have been a long flyout and we wouldn't be thinking Diaz's outing was that bad. 

CBP is kind of a joke with regard to the dimensions. I was on the field for a concert and remember looking toward the plate from right center and thinking even I could hit one out. Of course I couldn't but it's telling how surprised I was by the shallowness of RF there. 

Same thought when I was there for The Who in May of '19. Orchestra backing - great show!

I enjoy watching the Phils whenever I'm upset with the Mets' defense. Have they announced a starter for tonight yet? 

jfinnegan said:

I enjoy watching the Phils whenever I'm upset with the Mets' defense. Have they announced a starter for tonight yet? 

Throughout that game I kept saying to myself that they're trying to give us this game and we won't take it.

jimmurphy said:

Same thought when I was there for The Who in May of '19. Orchestra backing - great show!

we were there for Springsteen in '16. One of my favorite shows of his. 

jfinnegan said:

Joey Lucchesi

Good venue if you’re pretty close.

jimmurphy said:

Good venue if you’re pretty close.

good venue if you want to hit a cheap HR 

mrincredible said:

Joey Lucchesi

Which did not work out so well. 

If they can score five runs tomorrow that would be nice.

I don't know why Lucchesi started when the Cards have all righties. They need Carrasco to come back. And firing Chili Davis after the game after having him travel to St. Louis seems pretty bush league to me. If you knew you were going to fire him why not fire him after the Philly series? 

Not for nothing, but the Mets have scored 18 runs in their last three games. Is thus really when you should be firing the hitting coaches? They lost yesterday because they didn't have a reliable starting pitcher. 

They do these things because most fans are idiots. The talk radio callers have been blaming Davis and Rojas for the poor hitting with RISP. So they decide to throw a bone to the dudes  from Massapequa and Wappingers Falls by firing the hitting coaches. 

I write this all the time, but I'll write it again. Not everything is the fault of the manager or the coaches. Players gotta play. Whose fault is it when a guy pops up with the bases loaded? Almost certainly not Chili Davis. 

But hey, the idiot portion of the fan base will be pacified for a week or two. And most likely the team will regress toward the mean and start driving in runs. And the talk radio idiots will think it was cause and effect from firing the coaches. 

I hadn't heard any chatter about firing coaches from talk shows.  I think it was more because they are building an analytics based organization and Davis didn't fit in.  I do think Rojas is making mistakes, but I don't expect perfection from a manager, and anyone who replaces him would also be imperfect.

FilmCarp said:

I hadn't heard any chatter about firing coaches from talk shows.  I think it was more because they are building an analytics based organization and Davis didn't fit in.  I do think Rojas is making mistakes, but I don't expect perfection from a manager, and anyone who replaces him would also be imperfect.

Agree with this based on what I've read. 

when a team is underperforming there's always chatter about bringing in guys to "light a fire."  I didn't necessarily hear calls for Davis specifically to be fired, but there were plenty of people saying they thing the Mets need their manager and coaches to be "fiery" -- throwing over tables or screaming at guys.   I still hear some fans saying they want Wally Backman as manager.

My sense is a lot of old school, middle-aged white guys sincerely believe that athletes need someone driving them hard to succeed.  It's as if these guys forgot what it was like to actually play baseball.  Hitting a baseball is one of a handful of athletic endeavors that trying to fire guys up is actually more counterproductive than helpful.  Hitting requires focus and relaxation.

I played in HS for a "fiery" coach.  And for a lot of us it was a disaster.  Several of us had a hard time relaxing at the plate, on the bases or in the field.  It didn't work for HS kids then, why would anyone think it would work for professionals today?

I think that the firings had something to do with Donnie Stevenson. 

"Hitting a baseball is one of a handful of athletic endeavors that trying

to fire guys up is actually more counterproductive than helpful.

Hitting requires focus and relaxation."

I've always said this.  You can tell a hockey or football player to just go out and hit someone.  You can't get a guy out of a hitting slump by yelling at him.  

The GM had fired Davis when he was with the Red Sox. I think he and Sandy don't agree with Chili's approach and wanted an excuse to fire him. Personally I prefer making contact and hitting line drives. Chili was responsible for Conforto and Dom, but I don't know what has happened with Dom this year. He keeps swinging at bad pitches and taking pitches right down the middle. Lindor hitting. 170 doesn't help Chili's case either.

Last week Carton and Roberts interviewed Rojas. Roberts thought Rojas had made a “gut decision” at one point to leave someone in the game and he delivered. Rojas said he doesn’t make gut decisions, everything is by the numbers. 

Supposedly Davis wasn’t playing the analytical game. Apparently this new guys is more tied into analytics. 

jimmurphy said:

Last week Carton and Roberts interviewed Rojas. Roberts thought Rojas had made a “gut decision” at one point to leave someone in the game and he delivered. Rojas said he doesn’t make gut decisions, everything is by the numbers. 

Supposedly Davis wasn’t playing the analytical game. Apparently this new guys is more tied into analytics. 

the timing was very strange though.  That's why I'm thinking it was done to take the heat off Rojas and Alderson while the team has been struggling.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.