Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

All I said was eff Lindor at 12 for 385 with a date ultimatum. I would hope that would be interpreted as eff Lindor at 12 for 385 with a date ultimatum.

I misunderstood because I never thought of 12/$385MM as a real ask.  I figured it was a negotiating stance, which it appears it was.  So I thought you were objecting to the negotiating tactic, not the actual terms.

I was so looking forward to watching deGrom tonight. Hopefully they'll be able to play Saturday. 

jfinnegan said:

I was so looking forward to watching deGrom tonight. Hopefully they'll be able to play Saturday. 

I'm planning on the entire series being postponed.  We are not out of the woods yet.

I'm sort of expecting the series to be postponed as well. I would think they would have to quarantine the entire team for a bit. Weren't they all on the same flight except for Scherzer? 

jfinnegan said:

I'm sort of expecting the series to be postponed as well. I would think they would have to quarantine the entire team for a bit. Weren't they all on the same flight except for Scherzer? 

even Scherzer isn't good enough to try and pull off a King and his Court move. 

Lindor wanted a contract at a higher total cost than Tatis. Obviously, for Cohen $16 million over 10 years is nothing if it get's him his target acquisition for the long term. Without runs - which Lindor clearly can produce - DeGrom will be one of the HOF pitchers with the fewest wins in his record. 

Same battery that ended the Mets 2006 season is on the field today for the Cards. Pains me, but that's pretty remarkable.

Amused said:

Lindor wanted a contract at a higher total cost than Tatis. Obviously, for Cohen $16 million over 10 years is nothing if it get's him his target acquisition for the long term. Without runs - which Lindor clearly can produce - DeGrom will be one of the HOF pitchers with the fewest wins in his record. 

The Mets are now locked into Lindor for 12 years.  He'll be 39 when the contract is over.  There is no financial justification for these 10+ year deals.  Did no one learn from the Pujols deal?  Owners are stupid, agents are smart.

yahooyahoo said:

Amused said:

The Mets are now locked into Lindor for 12 years.  He'll be 39 when the contract is over.  There is no financial justification for these 10+ year deals.  Did no one learn from the Pujols deal?  Owners are stupid, agents are smart.

pretty sure the deal ends after 2031 when Lindor will be 37

this is from Baseball Reference.  There's little doubt Lindor won't be the same player at 37 as he is at 27.  He may not even be a SS anymore by that time.  But there's a big difference typically between a 37 year old player and a 39 year old.  I don't have a huge problem with a 10-year deal, especially when no one knows the terms of the next CBA yet. If there's no luxury tax in the next agreement, a big contract for a guy who's not worth it any more won't constrain the team's resources as much.  And maybe in 10 years, $34MM a year will not seem outrageous anymore compared to the rest of the market. 

ml1 said:

yahooyahoo said:

Amused said:

pretty sure the deal ends after 2031 when Lindor will be 37

Okay, I checked the numbers. The Mets are locked into Lindor for the next 11 years. The new contract kicks in for the 2022 season, I thought it started after 2022 season.  Either way, there is no financial justification for this type of contract.

The financial justification is that they wanted to keep him.  Watch next off-season. Others will get more.  And in non covid years big market teams make big money.

Are we looking at another 10-win Cy Young season?

I was willing to give Rojas another season, but he made so many poor moves last night. You have to pinch hit with Dom with the bases loaded and a righty against Pillar. Bringing in Loup was questionable as well knowing that we would have to face Realmuto. 

Bullpen still sucks..... sigh.

jfinnegan said:

I was willing to give Rojas another season, but he made so many poor moves last night. You have to pinch hit with Dom with the bases loaded and a righty against Pillar. Bringing in Loup was questionable as well knowing that we would have to face Realmuto. 

if Guillorme had been able to make a good throw to the plate, there's a good chance the Mets would have won.  And we'd be congratulating Rojas for putting him in for defense.

the players gotta play.

The score was already tied by the time of Guillorme's error. With the 3 batter rule I would prefer May go after Harper and Realmuto instead of Loup against Harper and Realmuto. I don't know why they were blaming McCann partially. It was a bad throw and he would have had to come off the base to even have a chance at making the play. It's looking like the Mets are trying to see if deGrom can be the first starter to make the HOF with less than 100 wins. 

Loup made a good pitch to Realmuto and got the weak contact he needed to.  If Realmuto cleared the bases with an extra base hit, I'd agree with your point about sticking with May.  OTOH, May was getting hit, and leaving him in against Harper may have meant a 5-2 game on one swing.  And then the hue and cry would be -- why did Rojas leave May in to face Harper??!!  

The real killer was the HBP after Harper looked lost on the first couple of pitches from Loup.

Ok fine, am I allowed to question leaving a righty in against a righty reliever that is looking to induce a grounder instead of putting your best hitter from last year in to pinch hit?  

jfinnegan said:

Ok fine, am I allowed to question leaving a righty in against a righty reliever that is looking to induce a grounder instead of putting your best hitter from last year in to pinch hit?  

I suppose. But it was pretty early in the game for that IMHO. If they're thinking Pillar is the guy they want playing CF behind your ace, personally I wouldn't take him out in the 4th inning. Seventh, sure. But as visiting team, you've got a lot of outs you still need to get when you are in the top of the 4th. And if you don't send Smith out to LF and Nimmo to CF in the bottom of the 4th, and go to Almora, you've used up two bench spots. With five and a half more innings to go. 

We're all entitled to our opinions. Personally I would have sent deGrom out in the 7th for another dozen pitches before going to the bullpen. But I don't have a problem with the other choices. Because I don't think any of the possibilities available to Rojas came without potential downsides. 

Earlier in the game.  Bases loaded one out.  That's where they lost.  They have to score there.

You have to take advantage of the chances you've got. Smith is a significant upgrade over Pillar in that situation. How many times is the ball going to be hit to centerfield in the next 4 or 5 innings? Maybe a max of 5 times and I'm being very generous. 

FilmCarp said:

Earlier in the game.  Bases loaded one out.  That's where they lost.  They have to score there.

a 2-0 lead in the 4th with deGrom pitching? That's not a must score situation. 

My rule of thumb on second guessing is that I never second guess something I didn't have a problem with in the moment. I didn't think it was necessary to pinch hit for Pillar in that situation. Not letting deGrom go out for the 7th -- that was my only objection. 

I didn't say that I would pinch hit.  I said they had to score.  A ML player has to be able to drive in a run with the bases loaded and less than two out.  A sacrifice fly would have been okay.  And I have watched Degrom for his entire career.  A 2-0 lead is an invitation for Familia to give the game away.  Every time.

Cohen could prove to Mets fans that his money will be wisely spent by simply releasing Familia.  Or trading him for a hot dog cart.

FilmCarp said:

I didn't say that I would pinch hit.  I said they had to score.  A ML player has to be able to drive in a run with the bases loaded and less than two out.  A sacrifice fly would have been okay.  And I have watched Degrom for his entire career.  A 2-0 lead is an invitation for Familia to give the game away.  Every time.

Familia didn't even pitch on Monday. But I thought you were saying the same thing as jfinnegan about bringing in Smith. I agree that guys need to do their jobs and bring in runs with the bases loaded. But that game wasn't lost by Pillar. It was on May. Two run lead with nobody on and one out in the 8th should be pretty safe. 

I can't ever recall being so disgusted with a Mets win. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.