Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I am loving Guillorme.  And Dom.  

And deGrom.

And...I love this team.

I like the new long term thinking.  Right now they are a little weak defensively, but are holding on to Dom and Nimmo.  I think next year we will have a DH.  By signing a good defensive CF then, they will improve CF, Left field (Nimmo over Dom), first (Dom over Pete) and have an excellent DH in Alonso.

yahooyahoo said:

jfinnegan said:

Before they had pitch counts on the screen if the Mets were facing a good pitcher my friend and I would keep track of the pitch counts. I never really understood why they think the pitcher's arm is going to fall off if he goes over 100 pitches, but that seems to be the rule. 

Baseball managers/execs are so obsessed with pitch count, it's baffling. Pitchers still get injured all the time, counting pitches doesn't seem to help.  

I believe it's currently more about how many times a pitcher goes through the lineup.  Around 100 pitches, it's the third time through most games.  And a lot of pitchers get hit fairly hard after a guy is facing them for the third time.  For a while the managers and coaches thought 100 pitches was the magic number when a pitcher would start tiring.  But they'll now take guys out who aren't showing any signs of tiring according to the radar gun, because they don't want hitters to get another crack at him.  As a general rule, I don't think that's a bad idea.  But when a guy is throwing a two-hit no run game in the 6th inning of Game 6 of the WS, maybe you throw the analytics out and let him go through the order another time...

sbenois said:

I am loving Guillorme.  And Dom.  

And deGrom.

And...I love this team.

I LOVE you, Big Boy. Let's watch a game together this year!

ml1 said:

I believe it's currently more about how many times a pitcher goes through the lineup.  Around 100 pitches, it's the third time through most games.  And a lot of pitchers get hit fairly hard after a guy is facing them for the third time.  For a while the managers and coaches thought 100 pitches was the magic number when a pitcher would start tiring.  But they'll now take guys out who aren't showing any signs of tiring according to the radar gun, because they don't want hitters to get another crack at him.  As a general rule, I don't think that's a bad idea.  But when a guy is throwing a two-hit no run game in the 6th inning of Game 6 of the WS, maybe you throw the analytics out and let him go through the order another time...

Agreed. I'm ok with the analytics, but if a guy is pitching well I would prefer to see him given a chance to go through the order a 3rd time. I'm concerned their bullpen will be burned out by August as usual. 

One bit of good news.  Matz is having a great spring.  I know he's with the Jays now, but I will be happy if he gets it together.  

I thought he had a great spring last year as well. 

Well, I hope it carries over.  I'm not the type who needs to see ex Mets do poorly.  I hope Rosario and Gimenez have great years.

Me too. I liked Matz, but it was time for him to move on. I'm concerned for him when he faces the Yankees lineup. 

Yeah, but he also gets to face Baltimore.

FilmCarp said:

Well, I hope it carries over.  I'm not the type who needs to see ex Mets do poorly.  I hope Rosario and Gimenez have great years.

Gimenez has been tearing the leather off the ball this spring.

Matz's first game as a Met was truly memorable and it seems like he was a good guy off the field but he obviously had in-game anger/frustration management issues that I think diminished his play.

It's Not F. Lindor...it's EFF Lindor. 12 and 385, and not negotiating after opening day??? Send him to Pittsburgh or Baltimore.

It's just a negotiation.  Don't hate him for it.

Split it down the middle. The difference spread out over 11 years isn't that big a deal. 

there's always no deal until the moment there's a deal.

Exactly. I don't see any way either side walks away. He knows there are only 3 or 4 teams that would be able to match that offer. The Dodgers, Yankees and Red Sox already have shortstops. I'm not sure where else. The Cubs? 

Plus, after the season there will be more good shortstops on the market competing for a deal from those 4 teams

You can't blame a guy for trying to get every last dollar he can from a multi-billionaire. 

He wants to remain a Met for a very long time if he they give a very large amount of money.  

I liked Alonso's response when somebody asked him if he thinks any player is worth $300 million. He asked which player, so the reporter said your shortstop. Alonso said he's worth $400 million. Ask a stupid question...

Train_of_Thought said:

Sure I can.

yes and that's the attitude from then-ownership that put Seaver in a Reds uniform, Strawberry in a Dodgers uniform and more recently Wheeler in a Phils uniform.  

And if Cohen stands firm on this and Lindor walks next year and gets his payday, we as fans can bask in the excitement of Steve Cohen's tough negotiating stance.

I still think they'll get a deal done. I can't believe either side really doesn't want it to happen. Does Steve Cohen really want 100% of his fan base angry at either him or his best player? 

They are actually pretty close.  It will get done.

This person sums up my feelings on this pretty well. 

Mets Sticking To Offer To Francisco Lindor A Bad Idea

If the Mets very publicly make Lindor blink, all of baseball will notice. They’ll notice it just like they noticed when George Springerbecame a Toronto Blue Jay.The Mets will look to be rigid and ruthless in negotiations. It will not be seen as a team trying to get a player, but rather, as an organization who looks to win every deal.
Keep in mind, that’s not the same as being cheap like the Wilpons. Clearly, Cohen has shown an ability and willingness to spend. This is something different.
It’s an odd situation where you make a record offer, and you make the other side have to swallow his pride and accept it. That’s exactly what will happen if Lindor signs that deal.

Yeah, it was bound to happen grin

ml1 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Sure I can.

yes and that's the attitude from then-ownership that put Seaver in a Reds uniform, Strawberry in a Dodgers uniform and more recently Wheeler in a Phils uniform.  

And if Cohen stands firm on this and Lindor walks next year and gets his payday, we as fans can bask in the excitement of Steve Cohen's tough negotiating stance.

I still think they'll get a deal done. I can't believe either side really doesn't want it to happen. Does Steve Cohen really want 100% of his fan base angry at either him or his best player? 

Moot now, I guess. Still, I respectfully disagree with both your characterization of my attitude and the example analogies. A guy who has yet to play a game in a Mets uniform is comparable to 1977 Tom Seaver? And you definitely don't want to know my thoughts on Strawberry.

p.s. The Mets best player is Jacob deGrom.

definitely moot now.  I didn't really think Cohen wouldn't make deal.  But my comment wasn't comparing the players, it was the attitude that there's something wrong with players using all the leverage they have to get paid as much as they can.  I don't have any problem with it.  The talent is the product, and they should be paid whatever the market will bear.  And if Lindor thinks the market for his talent is $341MM and not $325MM, he should go for it.  And if he's wrong, eventually he'll settle for less.  Turns out this time he was right.

Again mischaracterizing my "attitude."

Train_of_Thought said:

Again mischaracterizing my "attitude."

I interpreted "EFF Lindor" to mean you didn't like what he was doing.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.