Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

That looks like a great trade by the Cards. I wish the Mets were in on that. 

surprised there hasn't been a mention of Daniel Murphy's retirement.  He certainly gave us a great run from mid-season in 2015, and obviously in the post-season that year.  But I'll admit I was ok with the Mets letting him walk the next year.  Without a crystal ball to know his postseason wasn't a fluke, I didn't think they needed to spend that kind of money on a guy who was a terrible fielder and baserunner.  He was certainly a quirky player over the course of his Mets career, but we owe him a thanks for almost single-handedly getting the team to the World Series.

related question -- if Oliver Perez doesn't sign with a team for this season, are there now no active former Mets who played in Shea Stadium?

I think Ollie may be the last one. I never would have expected that. I forget when Darren O'Day played for them. It was right around when they moved to CitiField I think. 

I hadn't heard Murphy retired. I figured he had a couple of years left. I was ok with letting him walk as well. He carried them into the WS then his fielding had a big hand in a couple of the losses.

jfinnegan said:

I think Ollie may be the last one. I never would have expected that. I forget when Darren O'Day played for them. It was right around when they moved to CitiField I think. 

I hadn't heard Murphy retired. I figured he had a couple of years left. I was ok with letting him walk as well. He carried them into the WS then his fielding had a big hand in a couple of the losses.

He was like the old joke -- he only wore a glove to keep his hand warm. 

lol. I enjoyed watching him hit, but he seemed to leave his brain in the batter's box. There would be some baserunning and fielding miscues he made that I have never seen in high school baseball games. 

I’ve watched my fair share of HS baseball games. Murph overachieved.

jfinnegan said:

lol. I enjoyed watching him hit, but he seemed to leave his brain in the batter's box. There would be some baserunning and fielding miscues he made that I have never seen in high school baseball games. 

remember him taking the extra base against the Dodgers in the NLDS and I think it was Howie Rose saying "Daniel Murphy of all people!"

grin

On TBS, Ron Darling called him the Mets "wildest" baserunner grin

ml1 said:

related question -- if Oliver Perez doesn't sign with a team for this season, are there now no active former Mets who played in Shea Stadium?

Joe Smith, Astros.

See if I've got this right: Mets and Angels were leading possible landing spots for Bauer. Word was he didn't like Callaway from Cleveland days, leaving nothing in the Mets' way other than working out a deal. Now Callaway likely to be canned by Angels, paving way for them to swoop back in and sign Bauer. Callaway's perversions could actually end up being the reason we don't get Bauer?

Well, they have made a generous offer.  I don't know that anyone else has.  No sense bidding against themselves. 

The Mets rotation would be terrifying (to visitors). 

Rumors getting very strong that he's going to sign a 3 yr/$93 mil deal with an opt out after the 1st year. I'm ok with it as long as they still sign Lindor and Conforto long term. 

Bauer to the Dodgers. Good riddance. Can't wait to boo the nasty little harrassing creep. Warming up the ol' vocal cords now.

Moammar said:

Bauer to the Dodgers. Good riddance. Can't wait to boo the nasty little harrassing creep. Warming up the ol' vocal cords now.

Thank goodness. We dodged a bullet.  Bauer is overrated and the contract the Dodgers gave him is insane.  

Agreed. His antics over the last 24 hours showed he would have been a nuisance. Their rotation should be fine. It would have been nice to spend some of that money on Springer. 

This is what I wrote in November:

ml1 said:

I have to admit that the idea of signing Bauer is bringing me down.  Dude is a MAJOR LEAGUE ****.

maybe he'll be as good this year as he was last. But Bauer's long term track record doesn't justify the stupid money LA threw at him. 

I looked at his starts last year. He faced MIL, PIT, CHC, KC and DET, some of them multiple times. The White Sox were the only good team he faced. Now I'm upset that deGrom didn't win the Cy Young again. 

My nephew works out at the same gym as one of the Dodgers' top pitching prospects. He's pretty upset that it's going to be hard for him to get a shot to make the major league rotation now. 

ml1 said:

This is what I wrote in November:

ml1 said:

I have to admit that the idea of signing Bauer is bringing me down.  Dude is a MAJOR LEAGUE ****.

In what way? I honestly know nothing about him the person. 

I would like to see the Mets find one more solid starter.  it would be a tremendous boost to the bullpen if there were 5 starters who could get through 6 innings most days.

Train_of_Thought said:

In what way? I honestly know nothing about him the person. 

his social media presence is incredibly obnoxious to the point of harassing people, especially women it seems. 

Here's what Dodgers Digest had to say a couple of days before the team signed Bauer:

Guess we have to talk about Trevor Bauer now (ughhhh)

Off the field, he’s a problem. He has a long history of harassing women, which is the most troubling aspect. He’s also a climate change denier, a MAGA chud and used the an all too common defense when it comes to the Cleveland baseball organization’s mascot/team name. He’s also kinda dumb (because Twitter isn’t a news organization). Edit: He’s also a conspiracy theorist and transphobic.

ml1 said:

Here's what Dodgers Digest had to say a couple of days before the team signed Bauer:

Guess we have to talk about Trevor Bauer now (ughhhh)

Off the field, he’s a problem. He has a long history of harassing women, which is the most troubling aspect. He’s also a climate change denier, a MAGA chud and used the an all too common defense when it comes to the Cleveland baseball organization’s mascot/team name. He’s also kinda dumb (because Twitter isn’t a news organization). Edit: He’s also a conspiracy theorist and transphobic.

Oh my.

Is that any sort of reputable source, or is this just sour grapes?  I know he has issues, but to me the big thing is that he did not want to be here, so he shouldn't be.

FilmCarp said:

Is that any sort of reputable source, or is this just sour grapes?  I know he has issues, but to me the big thing is that he did not want to be here, so he shouldn't be.

Not sure the source itself is reputable, but his views are well known. All of those things are true and easily verifiable by scrolling through his own Twitter timeline. He’s a terrible human and the Mets dodged a bullet here. Besides that...he’s really not all that good. He’s had two good years and one of them was over 11 starts. 

I knew he wasn't a great guy, but the Mets gave Familia 30 million after he beat his wife, and we didn't have much of this stuff rehashed until he chose LA.  Again, I'm glad he's not here.

FilmCarp said:

I knew he wasn't a great guy, but the Mets gave Familia 30 million after he beat his wife, and we didn't have much of this stuff rehashed until he chose LA.  Again, I'm glad he's not here.

It’s not been rehashed because it’s just been happening continuously. The familia point is well taken of course, he’s a ghoul. 

FilmCarp said:

Dodgers Digest isn't all that happy about Bauer after getting him.  This is from another of their contributors:

Trevor Bauer signs 3-year, $102 million deal with Dodgers, adding to both playoff rotation & potential for mess

Alright, since everybody must have a take, let’s get this out of the way first. Bauer’s off-the-field stuff has been covered and I’ve added my own two cents before. Needless to say, not the biggest fan of the guy and am dreading the discourse this year and every offseason that’s now sure to be a overdramatic mess. Aside from the fact that he acts like a 15-year-old who just discovered 4chan for the first time in general, in the end I just wish that going forward people stop the act where they pretend there’s no valid reason to dislike a dude or feigning confusion towards those who don’t. It would save everybody so much time. If all you care about is baseball, then that’s your prerogative, but it’s also totally reasonable that people think he sucks.

as for me, it's not sour grapes that the Mets didn't get Bauer.  I was on record back in the fall that I didn't relish the notion of choosing to root for that ****, or choosing to root against the Mets on days he pitched.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.