Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Look at the bunch of d!cks on their last world championship team and I still loved them. Bauer is the best guy available. From what I have read some guys hate him and some like him. Yu Darvish said that Bauer called him and told him he has the best stuff in the majors and it helped Darvish's confidence. Matz seems like a really nice guy, but I don't ever want to see him starting another game. Regarding centerfield, was there a reason why Marisnick hardly got to play? I felt Marisnick facing a right was a better option than Billy Hamilton facing anybody.

What quality center fielders are available?  I assume good defense is the priority, but they have to hit some as well.  

There's talk of them possibly moving Rosario to centerfield. It looks like the only centerfielders available are Springer, Jackie Bradley Jr., and Joc Pederson, but I don't know if he still plays centerfield. Does Lugo stay as a starter or get moved back to the bullpen? There are some possibly decent starting pitchers available, but most of them have question marks.

Marisnick didn't play much this season because of injuries.  I think he had two stints on the IL.

One thing that has hurt the Mets repeatedly is moving players out of position.  I really like Rosario.  I hope he hits 330 in the spring so he can be traded for two minor league pitchers.  I don't want him in center field.

Agreed. I hate the DH, but if Alonso is going to play he has to be the DH. Smith is going to hurt himself in LF. 

I think Smith and Alonso could share the DH, with Cano getting a few shots as well.  

No commentary on the sale? I'm elated the Wilpons are gone. It will be interesting to see if Alderson is able to build a consistent winner without being hamstrung by the owner.

Something else seems to have most people's attention. 

At this point, though, I should dive headlong into distractions for the next 72-144 hours.

We'll have to see what Steve Cohen is like as an owner. If he's willing to open the purse strings and aggressively go after talent, we could see much better baseball in Queens!

I, for one, wouldn’t mind keeping the current photo/icon on this page for a long time.

Agreed. As many bad trades they have made it's impossible to top trading Seaver. 

jfinnegan said:

Agreed. As many bad trades they have made it's impossible to top trading Seaver. 

My 12 y.o. self was crushed.

Reading about it later, it came down to contracts, respect, pride.

Such a shame. 

A lot of people here were against trying to bring back Stroman. But I'm glad they extended the qualifying offer. 

It’s doubtful the qualifying offer will bring back Stroman. (Only eight of 90 have ever been accepted.) It gets the Mets the compensatory draft pick, though, so it makes sense.

I like making the qualifying offer. There are going to be a lot of pitchers available it looks like. I wonder how the guys in the clubhouse feel about Stroman. They may have had a shot at the playoffs if he didn't pull that stunt . 

I hope the Mets are smart this year.  Lots of money doesn't always work.  IMHO, the money needs to go first to the rotation.  Get Bauer for the splash.  He's great, and it will let everyone know that Cohen is for real.  After that one or even two mid level guys, like Odorizzi .  Next should be Springer.  I won't be upset if they don't get Realmuto.  He has hinted that he doesn't like NY, and the last thing we need is expensive free agents ruining clubhouse chemistry.  McCann would be a good catching upgrade.  After that I think I'd do some restocking of the minors.  The Mets have two starters right now for every infield position.  Several teams need third basement.  Could Davis be flipped for a couple of minor Leaguers?  I'd move Rosario and Nimmo for talent and let Gimenez and Springer handle those positions.  I really don't like the rumors about Lindor.  He's great, but we have to stop blocking coming prospects with big contracts ahead of them.   It has to be about long term sustainable winning more than just getting every big name.  As far as relief pitching, the biggest improvement would be having 4 or 5 starters who can make it through 6 innings.  

the big unanswered question to me is first base.  Will there be a dh or not?  If not, who do you choose?  Will Alonso come back?  I think Smith is no fluke.  I think he's a big league hitter and a great fit with this lineup.

FilmCarp said:

I hope the Mets are smart this year.  Lots of money doesn't always work.  IMHO, the money needs to go first to the rotation.  Get Bauer for the splash.  He's great, and it will let everyone know that Cohen is for real.  After that one or even two mid level guys, like Odorizzi .  Next should be Springer.  I won't be upset if they don't get Realmuto.  He has hinted that he doesn't like NY, and the last thing we need is expensive free agents ruining clubhouse chemistry.  McCann would be a good catching upgrade.  After that I think I'd do some restocking of the minors.  The Mets have two starters right now for every infield position.  Several teams need third basement.  Could Davis be flipped for a couple of minor Leaguers?  I'd move Rosario and Nimmo for talent and let Gimenez and Springer handle those positions.  I really don't like the rumors about Lindor.  He's great, but we have to stop blocking coming prospects with big contracts ahead of them.   It has to be about long term sustainable winning more than just getting every big name.  As far as relief pitching, the biggest improvement would be having 4 or 5 starters who can make it through 6 innings.  

the big unanswered question to me is first base.  Will there be a dh or not?  If not, who do you choose?  Will Alonso come back?  I think Smith is no fluke.  I think he's a big league hitter and a great fit with this lineup.

Generally agree.  Not sure on losing Davis due to the RH bat.   Hate his defense though.

Not official, but looking like no DH.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2914667-mlb-reportedly-wont-use-dh-in-national-league-for-2021-season

I hate the DH, but the Mets need it. Dom should be playing everyday, but not in LF. Agree with most of what FilmCarp said. I would love Realmuto, but I'll take a catcher that can hit  .240 to .250, call a good game and consistently reach 2nd base on a throw.

DaveSchmidt said:

It’s doubtful the qualifying offer will bring back Stroman. 

Wrong again, Schmidt. 

in most years it probably wouldn't have been enough, but it's a tough market. That press conference yesterday made me excited. 

DaveSchmidt said:

Wrong again, Schmidt. 

He’s taking COVID into account and looking for the payday next year.

Only watched about 20-30 mins, but I thought Cohen came across quite well in the presser.

Edited to add: I guess I agree with jfinnegan. ;-)

DaveSchmidt said:

DaveSchmidt said:

It’s doubtful the qualifying offer will bring back Stroman. 

Wrong again, Schmidt. 

A rarity, I might say.  I enjoy your posts.

jimmurphy said:

He’s taking COVID into account and looking for the payday next year.

Only watched about 20-30 mins, but I thought Cohen came across quite well in the presser.

Edited to add: I guess I agree with jfinnegan. ;-)

one of my closest friends growing up in Queens was Jim Murphy. He was the star player on our soccer and basketball teams. It helped that he was 5'10" when everybody else was 5'2". He's still 5'10" so now I'm able to compete against him.

Jay Horwitz is doing a zoom call tonight at 7:30 through Words bookstore. I always felt bad for him trying to handle PR for the Mets.

jfinnegan said:

in most years it probably wouldn't have been enough, but it's a tough market. That press conference yesterday made me excited. 

after sitting out an entire year, a one year deal may have been all he'd get. And probably at a lower number. So taking the deal was pretty smart. 

Just to bring you up to date, looks like Cano's suspended for next year.

This is great for the Mets.  There was absolutely no way he was going to play a full season like last year.  Now they save $24 million, and I think have only one year after that.  Seattle is also paying $7.5 million, so it will be even easier to dump him.

This is a close third in best recent happy news after the election and positive vaccine report. No doubt in my mind he would degrade rapidly after this year.   

That trade may have possibly gotten a bit better. They still could use the centerfielder they traded. Maybe they'll put that $24 mil towards Springer.

Dennis_Seelbach said:

Just to bring you up to date, looks like Cano's suspended for next year.

Great news.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.