Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

He was no slouch as a national TV analyst, either.

DaveSchmidt said:

He was no slouch as a national TV analyst, either.

he introduced me to the term "wheelhouse". 

Seaver's pursuit of excellence was his hallmark. As well as his confidence. I remember a story where the sportswriter met Seaver for breakfast in a coffee shop. At one point in the conversation they were talking about commanding pitches and the waitress brought the check. Seaver picked it up, folded it in half and said to the writer that you could put that piece of paper anywhere in the strike zone and he could hit it with a pitch.  

Confidence grin

It's unfortunate the Mets didn't acknowledge him the way they should have until it was too late for him to appreciate it. I read Art Shamsky's book called After The Miracle about all the players from the '69 team. He went to visit Seaver at his vineyard with Harrelson, Koosman and Swoboda. It was sad reading what Seaver was going through. RIP. 

This is cool.

Also, a heads up: deGrom vs. Nola on tap for Sunday.

ml1 posted on another thread the '83 opener with Seaver versus Carlton. Iended up watching the whole thing. It was the most enjoyable game I have watched in a while. I was not expecting a 3 inning save from Doug Sisk.

jfinnegan said:

ml1 posted on another thread the '83 opener with Seaver versus Carlton. Iended up watching the whole thing. It was the most enjoyable game I have watched in a while. I was not expecting a 3 inning save from Doug Sisk.

IIRC Kingman homered in that game. I’m remembering it as a line drive about 15 feet off the ground that went over the 396 sign in LF. But I could be mixing it up with a different game. I know I was there for a Kingman HR that was hit like a clothesline to left. 

ml1 said:

IIRC Kingman homered in that game. I’m remembering it as a line drive about 15 feet off the ground that went over the 396 sign in LF. But I could be mixing it up with a different game. I know I was there for a Kingman HR that was hit like a clothesline to left. 

Not in this game. He had a single. They won 2-0. They strung a few singles together in the 7th inning. Cashen was a genius when you look at the lineup they had that day and the lineup he was able to put together in less than 2 years from then.

Fantastic game yesterday. All the ups and downs.  So glad they won for Tom's memory!

Still only 1.5 games out of 8th place and only 2 out of 6th so who knows? But they need to figure out the pitching for sure. 

That was a great game and hopefully McNeil and Rosario are breaking out. I wanted Lugo in the rotation, but now I think they need him in the bullpen. It doesn't matter if he goes 5 innings and does well if the bullpen is going to blow the game anyway. Even with the HR Alonso is concerning me.

My head exploded when Hamilton made the first out trying to steal third with the heart of the lineup coming up.  Fortunately a Yankee made a comparable mistake in the 10th.  But I still think any thought about playoffs is ridiculous.  Even if they get in they don't have any pitching past Degrom.  

What’s all this I hear about deGrom and run support? 

question

DaveSchmidt said:

question

It's not an exaggeration to say that two years ago it would have taken the Mets eight games to score 14 runs when deGrom was in the game. 

fun to watch.  Let's hope they saved a few runs for tomorrow.

DaveSchmidt said:

Defense really let Nola down today.

jimmurphy said:

Defense really let Nola down today.

He didn’t help himself in that department. A botched rundown probably irritates me more than any other misplay in baseball. (Good thing the Cougars always executed it flawlessly.)

You win...no, you win.  Please, I insist, you win.

From a comment by the anonymous stats guy at Inquirer.com:

Of 1,390 team seasons over the past 50 years, before today [Monday] the Mets were tied for the 3rd best offense, as measured by the wRC+ of non-pitchers.

--------------------

130 ... CIN (1976)

126 ... HOU (2019)

122 ... NYM (2020), HOU (2017), BAL (1971).

[And Monday probably didn’t hurt.]

But they strand way too many runners.  No lead is enough with our pitching staff.

FilmCarp said:

But they strand way too many runners. No lead is enough with our pitching staff.

wRC+ is weighted runs created, so it accounts for stranded runners. Or, to put it another way, despite the stranded runners the Mets are still producing runs 22 percent better than the league average.

ETA: Or, to put it yet another way, if you want them to strand fewer runners you’re pretty much asking them to be an all-time-great offense.

I take that back, FilmCarp. As I’m coming to understand Runs Created, it’s a better individual stat than an aggregated team stat. You’re right: The Mets rank 27th in OPS with runners in scoring position.

Thanks.  I don't follow all of the stats, but that wasn't passing the smell test.

Another stinker by Wacha.

Nice to see McNeil coming out out it anyway.

This season was a golden opportunity for Wacha to rebuild his career.  He just doesn't have it anymore.

Glad to see Billy Hamilton with the Cubs.  One hit for the season.

I'm not sure Dom Smith's year is getting quite the recognition it deserves.  Hes right up there with league leaders in batting with only 118 at bats.  Most of the other guys have at bats ranging from the 140s to the 170s.  I think his RBI per at bat is the same as Mike Trout's.

I admire Hernandez's optimism. He keeps talking about them going on a streak. The only way that's possible is if you have deGrom, Lugo and 3 starters that can go 6 innings and give up 3 or 4 runs. They have 3 starters than can go 3 or 4 innings and give up 6 runs.

I'd rather see a double A pitcher get beat up than ever see Porcello or Wacha on the mound again.  Syndergaard would have been great this year with this offense.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.