Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

I read the Dickey memoir as well. I was expecting more for some reason. I'll be ok with Beltran, it just seems to be odd that they would go with somebody without any experience after Callaway. Then again Mike Matheny is another guy with experience that I don't want. Along with Brad Ausmus.  

jfinnegan said:

I read the Dickey memoir as well. I was expecting more for some reason. I'll be ok with Beltran, it just seems to be odd that they would go with somebody without any experience after Callaway. Then again Mike Matheny is another guy with experience that I don't want. Along with Brad Ausmus.  

Aaron Boone had no managerial experience and he wasn't even with a team when they hired him.

Personally, I think the role of manager is WAY overrated.  I don't think Calloway was that bad, and certainly about 95% of the reason the Mets aren't still playing is the fault of the bullpen.  But I do think that even if a good manager doesn't bring a lot of additional wins, the wrong manager can ruin a team.  Terry Collins was a terrible manager the first two times around because he alienated his players.  Third time around he was much better at communicating with young players and he had some success.  Or Tom Coughlin, who had to learn to listen more and communicate with his players before he could have success.

So let the Phils have Girardi.  I can't wait to see Girardi's face the first time Harper takes an idiotic ejection grin 

and the rumor now is that the "blockbuster" hire the Mets might make is AJ Hinch.  Only hurdle I see is that the Mets would probably have to give up something of real value for the Stros to release Hinch from the last three years of his contract.

Trading something of value and having to pay a high salary to the manager doesn't sound like something a Wilpon run team would do. They have surprised me occasionally in the past. I was thinking the blockbuster might be Jessica Mendoza. 

jfinnegan said:

Trading something of value and having to pay a high salary to the manager doesn't sound like something a Wilpon run team would do. They have surprised me occasionally in the past. I was thinking the blockbuster might be Jessica Mendoza. 

that would be awesome.  It would be worth it to hear the 'FAN callers losing their **** over hiring a woman.

I couldn't deal with that Sunday Night team, probably because the Mets' guys are among the best, IMO. She's involved with their front office in some capacity at the moment. I think it's going to be Beltran. why would Hinch leave Houston? They are one of the best run franchises in the league. 

jfinnegan said:

I I think it's going to be Beltran. why would Hinch leave Houston? They are one of the best run franchises in the league. 

My thoughts exactly.  Here is a team that has been to the WS two out of the last three years.  It is loaded with young, exciting, talented players who are eager to play and win.  It has a stocked minor league roster.  The front office seems to be modern and forward-thinking.  The fans are appreciative as all hell. 

Why leave all that for a team with a ****** ownership and not great front office and one of the most caustic fan bases (although FAR better than Philadelphia)?  Sure, there are some exciting and excited young Mets players, but with the front office and ownership such as it is one has to wonder how long they stay motivated--or even stay at all.

Train_of_Thought said:

(Day 20 of my (most recent) suspension.)

Test. Test. Is this thing on? Test. 

OK.

I want to thank you all for being here. 

We want to announce that we have decided to rescind Train of Thought's suspension. We believe his good standing as a Mets fan and, equally important, his contributions to this page and our community as a whole warrants his reinstatement. 

We will now take your questions. 

Thank you.

Thank you.

First question: Is it true that Train_of_Thought is in the running for manager of this thread?

mfpark said:

and one of the most caustic fan bases (although FAR better than Philadelphia)? 

I’m right here. question

mfpark said:

My thoughts exactly.  Here is a team that has been to the WS two out of the last three years.  It is loaded with young, exciting, talented players who are eager to play and win.  It has a stocked minor league roster.  The front office seems to be modern and forward-thinking.  The fans are appreciative as all hell. 

Why leave all that for a team with a ****** ownership and not great front office and one of the most caustic fan bases (although FAR better than Philadelphia)?  Sure, there are some exciting and excited young Mets players, but with the front office and ownership such as it is one has to wonder how long they stay motivated--or even stay at all.

We don't follow the Astros day to day but one article I read suggested Hinch might be getting tired of being the face of the franchise and having to be the adult in the room. The person cited  the recent Taubman incident in which Hinch was the only Astros employee to stand up for the women who were berated. 

I have no idea if that really is something that happens in Houston, but the article suggested it is. That said, I'm not sure I'd count on the Wilpons to be any better on that score. 

With humble thanks to the Commissioner, I am nonetheless choosing to pull an Adam Gase and decline the favorable ruling. I shall honor the original decision and stay zipped for another ten days (at least) -- the herein remarks notwithstanding.

Train_of_Thought said:

With humble thanks to the Commissioner, I am nonetheless choosing to pull an Adam Gase and decline the favorable ruling. I shall honor the original decision and stay zipped for another ten days (at least) -- the herein remarks notwithstanding.

because you don't want to argue with me grin

mrincredible said:

First question: Is it true that Train_of_Thought is in the running for manager of this thread?

Trains run for engineers.

mrincredible said:

Thank you.

On to Cincinnati. 

So here's a question.  I'm a lifelong Mets fan, but my national league tendencies have me rooting for the Nationals right now, despite the rivalry.  Who are you folks pulling for?

With the departure of Harper and Murphy, I've had no trouble rooting for the Nats - underdog, hard luck franchise, NL.  Works for me.

A very good friend is a long-suffering baseball fan from D.C., so I’m on his side. Also, the Nats are a likable team on their own merits. (So are the Stros.)

Nats: Lame-o second-inning-arrival, politicians-trying-to-look-normal-and-lobbyist-scum fan base.  But we know these guys!  (Some of them all too well. Ahem, Rendon.) Gotta root for them. 

Besides, they don't play real baseball in the American League. They play something akin to baseball that involves more than nine people at a time. I can't be bothered with the details. 

Moammar said:

Besides, they don't play real baseball in the American League. They play something akin to baseball that involves more than nine people at a time. I can't be bothered with the details. 

question

Can't root for the Nats. 

So, Game 7.  

Who's watching, 'sides me?

jimmurphy said:

So, Game 7.  

Who's watching, 'sides me?

tuned in mid 2nd. Rooting for the Stros grin

Civic duty — ahem, jimmurphy — kept me away for the first several innings last night, but watching since the bottom of the first tonight.

Interesting to think that Scherzer’s spasms may have worked to the Nats’ advantage, since they probably weren’t going to win Game 5 with only one run anyway.

If the Nats win does anyone think that Harper will be upset?  

Hmmm.  Do we believe him?

No, I’d rather rely on my ability to read his mind than take him at his word. I mean, “I made the best decision for my family, and I am so happy to be in Philly.” Seriously? The guy’s obviously a nutcase who’s desperately trying to disguise his inner torment.

Not that anyone asked, but runner interference was a bad call. I’m glad Rendon made it mostly moot. And good to see Jim Wolf behind the plate now. He doesn’t make that mistake.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!