Meet the Mets (For Mets Fans Only!)

Soul_29 said:

Train_of_Thought said:

Travis d'Arnaud is the cleanup hitter on a playoff team. That's all I wanted to say.

Suspended!

30 days. 

Hit the showers!

Umm... you do know this was a pro-Mets, anti-d'Arnaud snicker, yes? Whatev. Do I at least get two days time served?

ml1 said:

I hope it's not Backman.  The knuckleheads love him.

I am hearing they are talking to Lenny Dykstra.

Backman was arrested last month for domestic violence. I know they ignored that with Reyes and Familia, but I think that would keep them away from him as a manager. Why not have Keith, Gary and Ron handle the managing and play-by-play? The Wilpons are always looking for ways to save money. 

jfinnegan said:

Backman was arrested last month for domestic violence. I know they ignored that with Reyes and Familia, but I think that would keep them away from him as a manager. 

Yah, that is why I mentioned Dykstra.  Might as well go full felon.

mfpark said:

Yah, that is why I mentioned Dykstra.  Might as well go full felon.

I hadn't realized Backman had been arrested.  But whoever the talk radio morons want, it will be somebody to "light a fire" under the Mets.  As if Diaz and Familia blew all those saves because nobody yelled at them enough.

ml1 said:

I hadn't realized Backman had been arrested.  But whoever the talk radio morons want, it will be somebody to "light a fire" under the Mets.  As if Diaz and Familia blew all those saves because nobody yelled at them enough.

Conveniently ignoring that an uncontrolled fire will burn a lot of things down that you may not want to see destroyed. 

Someone just told me that Girardi is going to Philly. But I can't find anything confirming it. 

Take it with a grain of salt. Baker had his second interview yesterday, and Showalter is getting his second interview today. Girardi's second interview is scheduled for Monday. 

I really hope it's not Girardi.  As much as I don't like the Yankees, I respect their success.  If they showed Joe the door, there had to be a very good reason.  

I don't think any of this really matters.  It wasn't Callaway that blew all those saves, so by extension the new manager won't be able to win them.

David Ross to the Cubs. That leaves Girardi up for grabs between the Mets and Phils.

DaveSchmidt said:

David Ross to the Cubs. That leaves Girardi up for grabs between the Mets and Phils.

please take him

Who do you want? I wonder why Alfonzo wasn't brought back as manager of the Cyclones after they won the championship.

jfinnegan said:

Who do you want? I wonder why Alfonzo wasn't brought back as manager of the Cyclones after they won the championship.

anyone but an "old school" guy 

What makes Girardi an “old school” guy?

DaveSchmidt said:

What makes Girardi an “old school” guy?

I'll admit I only know his reputation. But it's that he's something of an authoritarian manager. There's a reason the Yankees let him go. I may not like them, but that's a team that generally knows what they're doing. 

ml1 said:

There's a reason the Yankees let him go. I may not like them, but that's a team that generally knows what they're doing. 

Rings, or no rings.

DaveSchmidt said:

Rings, or no rings.

would you be happy if Girardi is managing the Phils next season?

then we can both be happy grin

Girardi to Philly. Guess you’re both happy.

I’m not.

jimmurphy said:

I’m not.

Visitor privileges here prevent me from saying how doubly happy that makes me.

Davey Johnson's available. Beltran seems like a nice guy, but he never struck me as the leader on any of the teams. I'll be honest, I don't know who I want. I know I don't want Showalter.

jfinnegan said:

Davey Johnson's available. Beltran seems like a nice guy, but he never struck me as the leader on any of the teams. I'll be honest, I don't know who I want. I know I don't want Showalter.

In his memoir, R.A. Dickey devoted an entire chapter to what a good man and great leader he thinks Beltran is.

jimmurphy said:

Girardi to Philly. Guess you’re both happy.

I’m not.

I am happy.

The rumors as to why Girardi was fired are especially troubling with regard to the Mets.  He had a somewhat contentious relationship with local media.  And that was with a team that had a lot more success than the Mets are used to.  And he had poor relationships with several of his veteran players, which was said to have divided the Yanks' clubhouse.  Given that this team is being built around good young players like Alonso, McNeil and others who look like they play the game with a lot of joy and passion, I'm concerned that a guy like Girardi or Showalter would have a negative effect on that joyfulness.

And the description of Girardi came from Brian Cahsman.  And I put stock in that because Cashman has not shown himself to have a quick trigger on firing guys.  He stuck with Girardi for a very long time before he decided it was time for a different, more player-friendly approach.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/brian-cashman-reasons-firing-joe-girardi/story?id=50971046

Train_of_Thought said:

you don't need to say anything.  I know your head would probably explode if Beltran is the next manager.  

Here's what Carlos Correa said this week:

“He’ll be an amazing manager,” said Astros shortstop Carlos Correa, who won a World Series with Beltrán in 2017. "He’s going to help [a] club so much like he helped here in this clubhouse. The atmosphere that he built and the chemistry in the clubhouse still lives on. We still treat each other like brothers, we still take care of business like we should, like professionals. … He’s going to be a game-changer if he gets that job, for sure.”

“I met him when it was his last year playing baseball, but he was like another coach and part of the team at the same time,” the Astros shortstop said. “He was playing, but you felt like he was a coach. He showed us the way of playing this game the right way. He showed us how to study other pitchers, how to study the other teams. He's one of the smartest guys for sure that I’ve met playing this game.”  
 https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/carlos-correa-mets-carlos-beltran-will-be-amazing-manager

I hope the Mets would give more weight to former teammates than to 'FAN hosts and callers, but given their history, they may not. 

(Day 20 of my (most recent) suspension.)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Advertisement

Advertise here!