Meet a Baseball Fan (Welcome to Anyone)

I hadn’t thought of the SS carousel before. Now you have me reminiscing about other infielders who toured the division, like Dave Cash and Richie Hebner.

The order of those standings looked unique to me, and when I did some spot checks I was taken aback by the 1979 Expos. We all remember how the ’94 ’Spos were hosed, but I would have never recalled that the runners-up to Stargell’s Family won 95 games.

And Mr. Tyson does look pugilistic there.

Wow, Hebner played for four -- Bucs, Phils, Mets (your thoughts, ML1?) and Cubs.

The intentional balk, explained:

There was suspicion that Kimbrel was tipping his pitches with his hand placement before his windup, and that runners behind him were signaling batters. Kimbrel says he fixed the tell, but he’d rather balk the runner to third in certain situations, like tonight, than risk tipping his pitches.

(On the ESPN telecast, after Ravech and Cone speculated about the reason, Cone stated that it was to prevent sign-stealing because Kimbrel doesn’t like PitchCom. Based on reporting in Philadelphia, I don’t think that’s correct.)

Sad to see the Chico’s Bail Bonds sponsorship expire.

The 100+ win teams are 0-4.  The NL Central winner didn't make it out of the first round.  

The current playoff format makes the first couple of rounds a crapshoot. 

Also, injuries. It didn’t help the NL Central winner that Brandon Woodruff couldn’t pitch. Maybe 8 runs would have been enough for the 100-win AL team yesterday if John Means had been able to start. The two 100-win teams in the NL still have time to make up lost ground, but their rotations, too, are hurting (or callusing).

That last play last night was both great and sickening. Amazing catch and then he misses 3 cutoff man and yet Harper is still doubled off because he ran too far. The ball was bouncing for a while and he still wasn't close to making it back.

jfinnegan said:

That last play last night was both great and sickening. Amazing catch and then he misses 3 cutoff man and yet Harper is still doubled off because he ran too far. The ball was bouncing for a while and he still wasn't close to making it back.

And Riley said he was in a position to pick up the ball only because his joyous screaming had carried him across the diamond. Harper has gotten only more and more heart-over-head as a baserunner. (A career BsR rating of 3.9, accrued almost entirely before 2017.)

Tough one to lose, but now it’s the series everyone expected.

The teams with the best five records in the postseason have won a total of one game:

Braves 1-1 (104 wins)
Orioles 0-3 (101 wins)
Dodgers 0-2 (100 wins)
Rays 0-2 (99 wins)
Brewers 0-2 (92 wins)

I'm not a fan of this playoff format. I suppose I may be if it was around during the mid to late '80s. 

I like it just because a lot of teams were in it right until the end of the regular season.

I always root for the underdog if I don’t have a team in the fight. Tough with division rivals, especially against each other. 

Can’t believe I just rooted for a Bryce Harper homer and it happened.

jfinnegan said:

I'm not a fan of this playoff format. I suppose I may be if it was around during the mid to late '80s.

I’m afraid recent bias renders my opinion on this matter unworthy.

jimmurphy said:

Can’t believe I just rooted for a Bryce Harper homer and it happened.

He doesn’t exactly shrink in the spotlight, does he.

Dodgers are my 1a favorite team. 

Holy cow, 2023 has been a tough season. 

The Phillies hit five home runs in Game 3 of the World Series last year. The next night, they got no-hit.

There, I jinxed against it this time.

DaveSchmidt said:

The Phillies hit five home runs in Game 3 of the World Series last year. The next night, they got no-hit.

There, I jinxed against it this time.

The pitching matchup doesn't favor them tonight.  I predict a Game 5. 

jeffl said:

The pitching matchup doesn't favor them tonight. I predict a Game 5.

Ranger Suárez vs. ATL in 2023:

2 GS, 9.2 IP, 1 ER, 0.93 ERA

Phillies bullpen in Game 1:

5.1 IP, 5 H, 0 ER

Spencer Strider vs. PHI in 2023:

5 GS, 33 IP, 8 ER, 2.18 ERA

Braves’ 2022-23 playoff record at Citizens Bank Park: 0-3.

But, yeah, a Game 5 is easy to foresee. The ESPN matchup predictor gives the Braves a 59 percent chance of winning tonight.

DaveSchmidt said:

jeffl said:

The pitching matchup doesn't favor them tonight. I predict a Game 5.

Ranger Suárez vs. ATL in 2023:

2 GS, 9.2 IP, 1 ER, 0.93 ERA

Phillies bullpen in Game 1:

5.1 IP, 5 H, 0 ER

Spencer Strider vs. PHI in 2023:

5 GS, 33 IP, 8 ER, 2.18 ERA

Braves’ 2022-23 playoff record at Citizens Bank Park: 0-3.

But, yeah, a Game 5 is easy to foresee. The ESPN matchup predictor gives the Braves a 59 percent chance of winning tonight.

I'm all in for a Braves crushing tonight.  I just think Strider steps up and pitches a gem. How many innings can Suarez pitch.  This is a Phillies BP game, right?

jeffl said:

I'm all in for a Braves crushing tonight.  I just think Strider steps up and pitches a gem. How many innings can Suarez pitch.  This is a Phillies BP game, right?

I thought last night was Phillies BP

jeffl said:

I'm all in for a Braves crushing tonight. I just think Strider steps up and pitches a gem. How many innings can Suarez pitch. This is a Phillies BP game, right?

Yes, I think the plan is to replicate Game 1 (though Suárez may have a slightly longer leash this time if merited).

I, too, expect Strider to be in command. But we’ll see how he handles CBP.

I was wondering why Strider wasn't just sticking with the fastball since nobody could catch up to it, but then Castellanos turned on one. Congrats! 

jfinnegan said:

I was wondering why Strider wasn't just sticking with the fastball since nobody could catch up to it, but then Castellanos turned on one. Congrats!

Thanks.

Ninety pitches in, Strider was still hitting 99, 100. Yeesh. Those Jalen Hurts quads can take a power pitcher pretty far.

Baseball is a funny game. Like Castellanos’ game-ending flyout in Game 2, if Acuña’s bases-loaded drive to center goes two more feet it’s a go-ahead hit. I’m really surprised the Braves’ order just couldn’t get it in gear; the Phillies pitched well, but not extraordinarily so. Pillar’s brain cramp on the wild pitch last night was a gift, and how do they not score with runners on first and third with no outs in the ninth? (Maybe Ozuna tries to tag up on Rosario’s fly to shallow left, and succeeds, if he’s the tying run.)

Now we’ll see how these chip-on-their-shoulders Phillies do as favorites.

I had stepped away and received two texts within seconds, both saying,"Pillar?!?!" The one said considering he isn't much of a hitter if he doesn't know how to run the bases there's no reason to have him in the game.

How is Harper?  That was quite a **** to the elbow.

DanDietrich said:

How is Harper? That was quite a **** to the elbow.

He said that it was just his funny bone and that he’s fine. When I saw the replay from behind Olson, showing his knee hitting the elbow, that’s exactly what it looked like, and I was hopeful.

Trevor May retired.  Loved his shot at A's ownership . From ESPN:

Sell the team, dude," May said. "... Sell it, man. Let someone who actually, like, takes pride in the things they own own something. There's actually people who give a s--- about the game. Let them do it. Take mommy and daddy's money somewhere else, dork."

Fisher, whose parents founded Gap, is attempting to relocate the A's to Las Vegas in a move heavily criticized by Oakland fans. Fisher has been unloved by the fanbase for years as the team routinely ranks near the bottom in payroll.

"If you're going to be a greedy f---, own it," May said. "There's nothing weaker than being afraid of cameras. ... Do what you're going to do, bro. Whatever, you're a billionaire, they exist, you guys have all this power -- you shouldn't have any because you haven't earned any of it, but anyway, whatever."

DaveSchmidt said:

Here’s May’s video: https://twitter.com/theScore/status/1714049077359600094

An earlier summary of the situation: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/john-fisher-oakland-athletics-owner-las-vegas/ygibs7jqjoknkssivxtpfu09

"Be better." If I had a nickel for every time I said that when May was in the game. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Lessons/Instruction

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!