Julian Assange Being Turned over to UK????

dave - Let's have it in English.

dave said:
Citing human rights abuses, Assange is currently suing the Ecuadoran government for imposing a few house rules on him for skating in the hallways, not bathing, and not cleaning his cat's litterbox.   Moron is not a strong enough word to describe him.  

This is all part of a smear campaign and it looks like it is working.   The government of Ecuador wants to keep getting money so they are trying to get rid of Assange without looking like they are trying to get rid of Assange. Why does Assange not get to respond to all of this?   Of course Assange allegedly not cleaning a cat litter box makes you think he should be handed over for harsh treatment, I'm sure.  This is just more BS.  Cause we always judge a man by how he cleans his apartment, not on his worldly accomplishments, right?

nan said:

dave said:
Citing human rights abuses, Assange is currently suing the Ecuadoran government for imposing a few house rules on him for skating in the hallways, not bathing, and not cleaning his cat's litterbox.   Moron is not a strong enough word to describe him.  
 This is all part of a smear campaign and it looks like it is working.   The government of Ecuador wants to keep getting money so they are trying to get rid of Assange without looking like they are trying to get rid of Assange. Why does Assange not get to respond to all of this?   Of course Assange allegedly not cleaning a cat litter box makes you think he should be handed over for harsh treatment, I'm sure.  This is just more BS.  Cause we always judge a man by how he cleans his apartment, not on his worldly accomplishments, right?

I'm hoping he gets judged for his worldly "accomplishments".  And I hope his reward is spending the rest of his life in prison.  He's earned it.

The West is Failing Julian Assange

While the media focused on Julian Assange’s cat rather than his continuing arbitrary detention, evidence shows that Britain worked hard to force his extradition to Sweden where Assange feared he could then be turned over to the U.S., as Stefania Maurizi explains.

https://consortiumnews.com/2018/11/06/the-west-is-failing-julian-assange/

Let’s start with the cat. You never would have thought one of these beloved felines would play a crucial role in the Julian Assange case, would you? And yet look at the latest press coverage. The mainstream media’s headlines weren’t about a man who has been confined to a tiny building in the heart of Europe for the last six years with no end insight, they were about orders from Quito to feed his cat. There you have a man who is at serious risk of being arrested by the UK authorities, extradited to the U.S. and prosecuted for his publications. A man who has been cut off from any human contact, with the exception of his lawyers, and whose health is seriously declining due to prolonged confinement without even an hour outdoors. Considering this framework, wasn’t there anything more serious to cover than the cat?
The risk of an editor or publisher being extradited for his publications should raise red flags and public debate in our democratic societies, yet we don’t see any debate at all.

Julian Assange’s situation is very precarious. His living conditions within the embassy have become unsustainable, and his friends speak as if there is no hope: “When the U.S. gets Julian”, they say, as if it is a foregone conclusion that the U.S. will get him and no journalist, no media, no NGO, no press association will do anything to prevent it.

In the last six years that Assange has been languishing in the embassy, not a single major Western media has dared to say: we shouldn’t keep an individual confined with no end in sight. This treatment of Julian Assange by the UK – and, more in general, by the West – is not only inhumane, but counterproductive.

Awwwww poor Julian.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.  Boo hoo.

Julian Assange placed himself in the embassy, to avoid extradition to another European country to face criminal charges.  

Meanwhile, in places all over the United States, there are people taking sanctuary in houses of worship (probably not as comfy as a private room in an embassy in London) because Donald Trump won election as President.  Haven't heard any sympathy for them.

Example: Meet the immigrants taking sanctuary in a N.J. church amid an ICE storm

Don't expect any.  

nohero said:
Julian Assange placed himself in the embassy, to avoid extradition to another European country to face criminal charges.  
Meanwhile, in places all over the United States, there are people taking sanctuary in houses of worship (probably not as comfy as a private room in an embassy in London) because Donald Trump won election as President.  Haven't heard any sympathy for them.
Example: Meet the immigrants taking sanctuary in a N.J. church amid an ICE storm

As stated in my previous link, Assange's criminal troubles are likely manufactured by his enemies:

Having spent the last 3 years fighting in four jurisdictions – Sweden, the UK, Australia and the U.S. – to access the full documentation on the Assange and WikiLeaks case under FOIA, I have acquired a few documents which leave no doubt as to the role played by UK authorities in contributing to create the legal and diplomatic quagmire which is keeping Assange confined to the embassy. Why have the UK authorities done this? What special interest, if any, do they have in the Assange case?

I mention a “special interest” because documents reveal that from the very beginning of the Swedish case, the UK authorities advised the Swedish prosecutors against the only investigative strategy that could have led to a quick solution of the preliminary investigation against Assange: questioning the WikiLeaks founder in London rather than extraditing him to Stockholm. It was this decision to insist on extradition at all costs that led the Australian to take refuge in thecEcuadorian embassy, fighting tooth and nail, convinced that if extradited to Sweden he could end up extradited to the U.S.

Documents reveal that the UK authorities referred to the Assange case as not an ordinary one from the very beginning. “Please do not think that the case is being dealt with as just another extradition request,” they wrote on January 13, 2011 to the Swedish prosecutors. A few months later, a UK official added: “I do not believe anything like this has ever happened, either in terms of speed or in the informal nature of the procedures. I suppose this case never ceases to amaze.” What is special about this case? And why did the UK authorities keep insisting on extradition at all costs?

At some point even the Swedish prosecutors seemed to express doubts about the legal strategy advocated by their UK counterpart. Emails between UK and Swedish authorities I have obtained under FOIA show that in 2013 Sweden was ready to withdraw the European Arrest Warrant in light of the judicial and diplomatic paralysis the request for extradition had created. But the UK did not agree with lifting the arrest warrant: the legal case dragged on for another four years, when finally on the May 19, 2017, Sweden dropped its investigation after Swedish prosecutors had questioned Assange in London, as he had always asked.

Although the Swedish probe was ultimately terminated, Assange remains confined. No matter that the UN Working Group on Arbitrary Detention established that the WikiLeaks founder has been arbitrarily detained since 2010, and that he should be freed and compensated. The UK, which encourages other states to respect international law, doesn’t care about the decision by this UN body whose opinions are respected by the European Court of Human Rights. After trying to appeal the UN decision and losing the appeal, Britain is simply ignoring it. There is no end in sight to Assange’s arbitrary detention.

Silence and Suspicion

There are two more suspicious elements: the fact that the UK authorities destroyed the emails regarding the Assange case, as they admitted in my litigation before the UK Tribunal, and the fact that they have always refused to provide me with any information as to whether they have communicated with the U.S. authorities on the Assange case, because they sustain that confirming or denying it would tip Assange off as to the existence or non of an extradition request from the U.S..

If there is or will be an extradition request from the U.S., the UK authorities want to be able to extradite Julian Assange for his publications just like any other criminal.

The risk of an editor or publisher being extradited for his publications should raise red flags and public debate in our democratic societies, yet we don’t see any debate at all.

As for Trump being elected, that was the DNC, who took the least liked candidate, with the most baggage and criminal accusations and sold her the nomination in a secret deal.  No one else would have lost to a psycho orange fruitcake.   

It is tragic that we now have people taking refuge in churches, but abuse of people with no money or power did not start with Trump.  The war in Yemen has been going on so long that people fighting were not even born when it started.  American imperialism has ousted many a democratically elected leader and replaced them with despots.  I have heard you consider the people who do these sorts of things highly qualified, honest and protectors of Democracy. You vote shame people for not wanting to vote for them, because they have have a conscious and are sick of voting for more war and austerity.  You actively support corporate warmongers and then try to take high moral ground against brave journalists like Julian Assange who has given up everything to expose the crimes of the power elite.  You are not against torture of innocents or a supporter of free speech unless you can see it in your own community or it happens to a crappy servant of the establishment like Jim Acosta.   

And back she goes to the DNC.   

"I don't know"

"Third base"

sbenois said:
Don't expect any.  

Based on the post between yours and this one, you should have put money on it.

nohero said:

sbenois said:
Don't expect any.  

I have to bring that up when people accuse Julian Assange of getting Trump elected. You need reminders of who really did that.

nan said:

nohero said:

sbenois said:
Don't expect any.  
I have to bring that up when people accuse Julian Assange of getting Trump elected. You need reminders of who really did that.

Oh right!  It was also the whining (now irrelevant and obsolete) Berniebots and the idiots who voted for Jill Stein.

Thanks for the reminder.   

sbenois said:

nan said:

nohero said:

sbenois said:
Don't expect any.  
 Oh right!  It was also the whining (now irrelevant and obsolete) Berniebots and the idiots who voted for Jill Stein.

Thanks for the reminder.   

I may find it necessary to cite today's column by Gail Collins more than once, because she makes the point very nicely:

Now this is the problem, people. Even if both candidates in a major election seem terrible, deep in your heart you know one is more terrible than the other. Refuse to acknowledge that, and you’re skipping down the path toward Donald Trump.
The moral is that there are worse things than voting for the lesser of two evils. We wake up to him every morning.

Oh look -- the nasties are back on the Pied Piper, policy-free, neglected-the-working-class-MI-WI-PA campaign again

sbenois said:
OBSOLETE!

I saw the link below, and thought to ask that, since you're on a Jill and Julian 2016 election rant, would you agree that Sheldon Adelson, who was Trump's biggest donor and also Netanyahu's biggest donor, is one of the most despicable promoters of hate and oppression in the world?

And that this award is an outrage?

Poor Paul, looking for scraps.

nohero said:

sbenois said:

nan said:

nohero said:

sbenois said:
Don't expect any.  

Thanks for the reminder.   
I may find it necessary to cite today's column by Gail Collins more than once, because she makes the point very nicely:

Now this is the problem, people. Even if both candidates in a major election seem terrible, deep in your heart you know one is more terrible than the other. Refuse to acknowledge that, and you’re skipping down the path toward Donald Trump.
The moral is that there are worse things than voting for the lesser of two evils. We wake up to him every morning.

Gail Collins is rich, establishment hack.  Of course she wants the status quo.  Hardly an insightful position.

Here's something deeper to think about:

Why Democrats Are So Okay With Losing

Obviously Gail Collins is on Nan's **** list because Gail is rich.  In Nan-world, anyone who has more than Nan is automatically on her **** list.  

It's the Gail Collins of the world - through articles like the one above - who are going to help to lead us towards getting out of the awful situation you put us in.  It sure as hell won't be you leading us to better times with your absurd view that we ought to be standing on ceremony in the voting booth because there is some magical prize you get.

The women of America, who may very well have lost control of their wombs for generations, thank you for your interest in Julian Assange's welfare..

sbenois said:
Poor Paul, looking for scraps.

Sbenouch won't talk about his hero Adelson (at least on this board).

sbenois said:
Obviously Gail Collins is on Nan's **** list because Gail is rich.  In Nan-world, anyone who has more than Nan is automatically on her **** list.  

It's the Gail Collins of the world - through articles like the one above - who are going to help to lead us towards getting out of the awful situation you put us in.  It sure as hell won't be you leading us to better times with your absurd view that we ought to be standing on ceremony in the voting booth because there is some magical prize you get.
The women of America, who may very well have lost control of their wombs for generations, thank you for your interest in Julian Assange's welfare..

Tens thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have lost their lives and their limbs. Thank you for cheerleading for that war and your cowardly attacks against those who opposed it.

Poor Paul.  Obsolete.

sbenois said:
Poor Paul.  Obsolete.

^ Can't talk about Adelson or the Iraq War he loved. He just wants to shut down, silence or execute what he doesn't like. Not a democrat.

paulsurovell said:

sbenois said:
Poor Paul.  Obsolete.
^ Can't talk about Adelson or the Iraq War he loved. He just wants to shut down, silence or execute what he doesn't like. Not a democrat.

Yup.  

Is Bernie running in 2020 or what?  If not should we start a Stein campaign?

She's running.  No doubt.   Vladi is funding her.

jamie said:
Is Bernie running in 2020 or what?  If not should we start a Stein campaign?

sbenois said:
She's running.  No doubt.   Vladi is funding her.

She's starting early. Helping the GOP by echoing their whining about Florida. 

https://twitter.com/drjillstein/status/1060750583303495680?s=21

"With Florida heading for a recount with Governor & Senate seats at stake, media needs to investigate suspicious activity in Broward County."

This is the county where Florida’s Republican secretary of state stiffened election monitoring after a court ruled in the spring that the elections supervisor prematurely destroyed ballots from a 2016 race (a primary between two Democrats, by the way). Earlier today, those monitors said they had seen no evidence of criminal activity in Tuesday’s election.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.