It's Time Again for the Hot Stove League!

Train_of_Thought said:
Mets should sign Kershaw...he'd make a good fourth starter. ;-)

Ouch!  But so glad my Sox won.  I prefer to focus on Price and his amazing October turnaround.

I'm thinking Kershaw doesn't opt out. He was injured again this year, and all signs point to him being past his peak. I would not even consider signing him for more years or dollars than LA is already committed to. 

I was only joking, my dear.

I don't see Kershaw opting out.  Price is a different story.  

The Red Sox have not hesitated to let higher priced players go to be replaced by role players who seem to do quite well.  I can see them offering Price a good but not great deal, and him walking.

Train_of_Thought said:
I was only joking, my dear.

I knew that grin

But there is serious discussion of whether he'll opt out. 

Could anyone have played/talked his way out of a humongous payday than Manny Machado? I'm sure he'll get big bucks but dang, his actions during the postseason didn't help build his brand. And what's Harper worth?! Both dudes are 26. Best years ahead of them. But is anyone worth $300m? Stanton and his huge contract doesn't get the Yanks any closer to a pennant. Someone is going to pay it, I guess. 

Harper is damned good, but I get a sense he may have hit his ceiling and I could easily see someone overpaying for him.

He seems to mix a few really good years in with some good years.  Overall he is settling into being a .275/25HR/85RBI/.850 OPS hitter, which is good but not HOF worthy.  He wound up at .249 last year after spending much of the season at .220.  He did have 130 walks, but he also had a career high 169 Ks.  

Like Notorious said, someone will likely pony up big time for him, and my guess is that will be Washington.  But I wonder if that would be money better spent elsewhere when the day is done.

I wonder if Machado would be willing to play first?  I know he has said he wants to stay at SS, but he may have a long winter.

Now that JT Realmuto wants out, is there any hope the Mets can swing a deal with the Marlins? Should they? Would you give up Wheeler for him? Matz?

FilmCarp said:
I wonder if Machado would be willing to play first?  I know he has said he wants to stay at SS, but he may have a long winter.

Highly doubt that, and it would be a waste. Shift Machado to 3rd once Didi is back and put Andujar at 1st to hide his bad glove.  

mfpark said:
Harper is damned good, but I get a sense he may have hit his ceiling and I could easily see someone overpaying for him.
He seems to mix a few really good years in with some good years.  Overall he is settling into being a .275/25HR/85RBI/.850 OPS hitter, which is good but not HOF worthy.  He wound up at .249 last year after spending much of the season at .220.  He did have 130 walks, but he also had a career high 169 Ks.  
Like Notorious said, someone will likely pony up big time for him, and my guess is that will be Washington.  But I wonder if that would be money better spent elsewhere when the day is done.

Somebody is going to pay big for him, but I don't want it to be the Mets.  The Mets big needs right now are 3B, 1B, C and bullpen.  Conforto and Nimmo are good enough corner OFs that overpaying for Harper would be a misdirection of resources at this time.  For those who care about WAR, aside from Harper's monster 2015, he's never surpassed 5.2 in WAR for a season, and last season was only at 1.3 (compared to Nimmo's 4.4. and Conforto's 2.9 last year).

Last season really showed Harper as a one-dimensional hitter once teams started shifting on him.  He swings really hard and hopes to hit a HR.  There was also a perception that he wasn't willing to adapt, or to listen to any constructive criticism of his approach.  If he's going to be that hard-headed the rest of his career, he's not going to be worth the contract he's likely to get.

and then there's this kind of thing.  Is Harper ever going to stop being a knucklehead?

There are certainly red flags for both, Harper and Machado. Paying in excess of $200m seems to be the likely scenario. It's funny but as a Mets fan I feel like Harper didn't impress the hell out of me this season and yet he hit the second most homers in his career (34) and drove in 100 runs for the FIRST TIME IN HIS CAREER. It's incredible he has never done that before and yet he did it in 2018. An up and down year, certainly, but along with those league-leading 130 walks he stole 13 bases. This is what happens when Harper plays most of a season. Not crazy about those 169 strike outs, though. Machado is a model of consistency with the homers and RBI's, but never walks. Plus he plays a full season, which is nice to see. He doesn't strike out nearly as much as Harper. Hard decision who to pick. 

Who to pick?  Neither, but if you had to, Machado for the reasons you noted.  I was surprised at how statistically bad Harper was for a supposed franchise player.

jimmurphy said:

FilmCarp said:
Highly doubt that, and it would be a waste. Shift Machado to 3rd once Didi is back and put Andujar at 1st to hide his bad glove.  

I'm a Mets fan.  The last thing the Yankees need is another bat.

Me too. Assumed you meant the Yankees because there is no way the Mets would pony up for Machado.

And just because the Yankees don’t need another bat, that doesn’t mean they won’t get one anyway...

I am all politicked out, so time to fantasize about baseball again.

Some really fascinating possibilities this hot stove season.

Top of my list would be whether the Yankees might actually be willing to trade Stanton to make room in the outfield for Harper?  I know, sounds nuts, but the Yankees can do things no one else can do, it seems.   Stanton has a no-trade clause--then consider that both the Dodgers and Angels are in his home state of California.  The Halos need to do something to get the most out of Mike Trout--having Stanton hitting behind him in the lineup would be a smart move. although financially.....see below.

To my mind, I think Harper is over-rated, having had one really good year surrounded by a number of good but not outstanding ones.  Although he could possibly be a good fit at first base for the Yankees--he came up as a catcher and has good hands and quick feet.  The Yanks could certainly afford to have him and keep Stanton.  Although their main goal has to be starting pitching.

Speaking of Mike Trout, how about this idea?  The Angels trade him for a boatload of prospects.  I know, far-fetched, but........the Angels' farm system is almost as empty as the Mets', and they are saddled with a number of big contracts to aging players for the next two to three years.  Trout is a FA in two years, so his value is only going down.   With what they are paying Pujols, Crozart, Upton, and Calhoun, it is hard to see them seriously adding a major FA this year--meaning little to no help for Trout.

There are some really good starters on the market for once.  Keuchel, Happ, Morton, Eovaldi.  The Yankees seem ready to keep Sabathia, trade Gray, and make a run at one or two of the better starters.

Will the Mets be able to make a serious run at Kimbrel or Cody Allen?  Or are they better off bringing in a lot of arms and seeing who emerges as a closer?

I am not even talking much about Machado because I just don't know what to say about the guy.  He is a fine hitter, and a superb third baseman.  But he is insisting on playing shortstop, and does not seem to be much of a positive in the clubhouse.  

Looking at the Mets, they always need relievers but I'd like to see them fix the catching situation and maybe third base.  I'm hoping Alonso hits his way on to the team in the spring.  I would trade any catcher they have now for a prospect, and probably send matz and something to the Brewers, who could send prospect s to Miami, who could send Realmuto to the Mets.

one interesting rumor on mlb.com was Daniel Murphy back to the Mets. I think that means Jeff McNeil moving to 3rd. That could be a good fit. But the writer also said he thought it would be good because it would shore up the Mets middle defense. Wtf???!!!!

I think the Mets have a bad history when it comes to changing the position prospects play.  I understand moving a veteran around.  I'd leave McNeil alone.  Don't mess with one of the few bright spots .  It would be more interesting if Machado was willing to play third.

ml1 said:
one interesting rumor on mlb.com was Daniel Murphy back to the Mets. I think that means Jeff McNeil moving to 3rd. That could be a good fit. But the writer also said he thought it would be good because it would shore up the Mets middle defense. Wtf???!!!!

I thought Murph was a 3Bman, blocked by Wright all those years.

jimmurphy said:

ml1 said:
 I thought Murph was a 3Bman, blocked by Wright all those years.

he's really not anything 

CC resigns with the Yanks for one year.  

mfpark said:
CC resigns with the Yanks for one year.  

Waiting for details of the contract’s CC rider.

FilmCarp said:
I think the Mets have a bad history when it comes to changing the position prospects play.  I understand moving a veteran around.  I'd leave McNeil alone.  Don't mess with one of the few bright spots .  It would be more interesting if Machado was willing to play third.

McNeil played nearly as many games in the minors at 3B as he did at 2B.  And I agree he shouldn't be moved around once they've figured out where they want him to play.  All that said, I don't think the Mets should be looking to bring back Daniel Murphy.

so Harper turned down 300 million and 10 years from the Nationals. He might get a higher annual number, but those 10 year deals are hard to get now.  I think it's a mistake, and that there are not many teams that can afford to bid for him at those numbers.  Am I wrong?

FilmCarp said:
so Harper turned down 300 million and 10 years from the Nationals. He might get a higher annual number, but those 10 year deals are hard to get now.  I think it's a mistake, and that there are not many teams that can afford to bid for him at those numbers.  Am I wrong?

Boras has him sold on the idea that he can get a $400MM contract (not sure on the years).  I don't know about you, but I would be more than happy with $300MM guaranteed.  But maybe I settle too easily.

If they can get Murphy for a one or two year deal, maybe.  He is still a good, if streaky, hitter.  The last thing the Mets need is to be saddled with yet another high priced aging veteran on a three or more year deal.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.