Is anything moving into Maplewood Stationers?

DaveSchmidt

jfinnegan said:

Hardware store?

We treasured our neighborhood hardware store in Philadelphia — the owners always seemed to have exactly what you needed, all packed inside a space not much bigger, if any bigger at all, than Maplewood Stationers. With a huge Home Depot so close to Maplewood, and a lower neighborhood density for pedestrian traffic than Philly, I wouldn’t think a hardware store like that could compete here.


jfinnegan

That is exactly the kind of hardware store I'm talking about. Someplace you can go and they know where everything is. I often find myself wandering around aimlessly at that Home Depot because very rarely can I find a worker that can help me out. I agree though that it would be difficult to compete with Home Depot. Oh well, how about Belgian beers, chocolates and waffles? 


ml1

it is not a pharmacy.  The local mom and pop pharmacy business is probably not ever going to come back from the national onslaught of Walgreens and CVS.


ml1

DaveSchmidt said:

We treasured our neighborhood hardware store in Philadelphia — the owners always seemed to have exactly what you needed, all packed inside a space not much bigger, if any bigger at all, than Maplewood Stationers. With a huge Home Depot so close to Maplewood, and a lower neighborhood density for pedestrian traffic than Philly, I wouldn’t think a hardware store like that could compete here.

 it isn't a hardware store either.  

that said, there is still a great hardware store in Asbury Park that has a greeter just inside the door who helps you find whatever you need.  And it is probably no bigger than the old stationery store.


yahooyahoo

Wasn't there a combo pharmacy/hardware store on Maplewood Ave about 20 years ago?  In the vicinity of Bill & Harry's?  Or maybe it was a different combo..... 


ml1

yahooyahoo said:

Wasn't there a combo pharmacy/hardware store on Maplewood Ave about 20 years ago?  In the vicinity of Bill & Harry's?  Or maybe it was a different combo..... 

 yes. IIIRC it was next door to Bill & Harry's.  It probably is about 20 years since it's gone.


joan_crystal

What I would really like to see in that space is a store like the one we used to have on Maplewood Avenue many years ago that carried all sorts of basic needs at reasonable prices.  Like the pharmacy and hardware store ideas (both of which existed on Maplewood Avenue at one time), it is unlikely that such a store could be profitable any more.  


jimmurphy

Ml1, you forgot the fencing academy!


mrincredible

jimmurphy said:

Ml1, you forgot the fencing academy!

 Touche.

Foiled again.

Enough with the sabre rattling.


DaveSchmidt

Epee body’s a comedian.


ml1

jimmurphy said:

Ml1, you forgot the fencing academy!

And velodrome 


tomcat

Since we already have multiple nail salons, how about a tattoo parlor?


ml1

tomcat said:

Since we already have multiple nail salons, how about a tattoo parlor?

I think there's already a discussion here about South Orange changing their zoning to allow a tattoo parlor.  Suffice to say the reaction among the MOL crowd was pretty negative.  Personally, I think it would be a great addition.  Something like this place where I got my tattoo, which is as clean as a hospital (but with headbanging music):

https://www.instagram.com/electrictattoonj/?hl=en


ridski

Next time I need fencing puns I know who to go to.


STANV

yahooyahoo said:

Wasn't there a combo pharmacy/hardware store on Maplewood Ave about 20 years ago?  In the vicinity of Bill & Harry's?  Or maybe it was a different combo..... 

 You have it right. The pharmacist was having a problem competing with the big chain stores so he started carrying hardware. Didn't last very long.


STANV

What we used to have for a long time and don't anymore is a Pet Store.


chalmers

jimmurphy said:

Ml1, you forgot the fencing academy!

That is a big need here. There's just nowhere for young entrepreneurs to go these days if they want to learn how to resell stolen goods quickly and discreetly. 


ml1

chalmers said:

That is a big need here. There's just nowhere for young entrepreneurs to go these days if they want to learn how to resell stolen goods quickly and discreetly. 

 sorry for not being more specific.  It was actually intended to teach them how to do this:


Morganna

Instead of a Pet Store how about a shelter? 


mrincredible

A pet store used to be in Maplewood Village.  They moved due to high rents and they’re now in Millburn.

A hardware store of the kind you describe exists in Millburn and has survived the presence of Home Depot for years.

An animal shelter in the middle of Maplewood Village seems unlikely to fly.  But I’m going to say nothing else about an animal shelter in town for fear of opening old wounds.


jamie

Ml1 - Do you know when the new business plans on moving in?  March 1st?


ml1

jamie said:

Ml1 - Do you know when the new business plans on moving in?  March 1st?

 Don’t know 


kthnry

STANV said:

What we used to have for a long time and don't anymore is a Pet Store.

 There are two local pet-supply stores in South Orange and one in Millburn, plus the big Pet Smart in Millburn. I’m not sure Maplewood needs one of its own. 


DaveSchmidt

ridski said:

Next time I need fencing puns I know who to go to.

 Like you gauntlet a couple of amateurs spoil everything.


Soul_29

DaveSchmidt said:

jfinnegan said:

Hardware store?

We treasured our neighborhood hardware store in Philadelphia — the owners always seemed to have exactly what you needed, all packed inside a space not much bigger, if any bigger at all, than Maplewood Stationers. With a huge Home Depot so close to Maplewood, and a lower neighborhood density for pedestrian traffic than Philly, I wouldn’t think a hardware store like that could compete here.

 Yet Bunchers in Millburn keeps chugging along. 


DaveSchmidt

Soul_29 said:

 Yet Bunchers in Millburn keeps chugging along. 

Yup, mrincredible mentioned it, too. I went there once to have a window pane cut but had forgotten about it.


STANV

kthnry said:

 There are two local pet-supply stores in South Orange and one in Millburn, plus the big Pet Smart in Millburn. I’m not sure Maplewood needs one of its own. 

 If that's your criteria then Maplewood doesn't need anything. 

A few years ago a guy wanted to open a Dunkin Donuts near Columbia HS. The Company turned him down because they said it would compete with the one in South Orange.

There are a number of stores in Maplewood that are similar to ones in SO and Millburn


mrincredible

STANV said:

A few years ago a guy wanted to open a Dunkin Donuts near Columbia HS. The Company turned him down because they said it would compete with the one in South Orange.

And yet there is a relatively new one on Valley Street in West Orange. It's the one I patronize because it has a free parking lot.


yahooyahoo

mrincredible said:

STANV said:

A few years ago a guy wanted to open a Dunkin Donuts near Columbia HS. The Company turned him down because they said it would compete with the one in South Orange.

And yet there is a relatively new one on Valley Street in West Orange. It's the one I patronize because it has a free parking lot.

Interesting because 7-11 was willing to open a store by the high school with another store already on Valley Street by South Orange Avenue.


STANV

yahooyahoo said:

Interesting because 7-11 was willing to open a store by the high school with another store already on Valley Street by South Orange Avenue.

 I know. I was surprised by that.



In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.