Report: Pool Concessionaire archived

I've been to the pool twice now, and am happy to report that the food and service at this year's concession are excellent. Both times, my order was delivered within 5-7 minutes. Cashier was polite and attentive.

I recommend the cheeseburgers (quality beef), the fries (very fresh and crispy), Pepsi-cola, and a King Kone for dessert.

I'm sure Freeman's would be good, too. But let's all celebrate the the fine service and offerings from the current concessionaire. They hit the ground running.

Is the pizza still the rectangular out of the box type?

My daughter said the pizza was delicious but she cannot be described as having discerning taste.

Posted By: kssIs the pizza still the rectangular out of the box type?

Yep.

Thanks ligeti for this report. I appreciate it. bgs

I do love that they give you a number and announce it over the intercom. That makes life a little easier. Waiting on line for the food with the little ones was difficult. The wait was not long either and I ordered at the height of the dinner rush.

Food - son ate the chicken tenders. I tried them, they were fine. The fries - okay. There's a PBJ sandwich which my daughter ate.

There's prepared salads, too. Has anyone tried the fish and chips yet?

My son has had the fries and chicken tenders. They were fine, but does anyone agree that the portions are really small for the price?
I'm sure they pay a high rent for the space, but potatoes aren't a high dollar item. I would frequent the concession much for frequently if I felt I was getting a better value. I'm going to be packing in our food as much as I can. A lot of money can be spent at that concession through the course of the season, especially when your there almost every day.

Made my first and probably only trip to the concession stand yesterday. I am not a cheap person. I do not mind paying for good food. HOWEVER, $7.25 for 2 hot dogs and a soda is not going to float with me this summer. The 2.25 for a large soda that is not even 16oz is a bit much and $2.50 each for little shriveled dogs that were not hot (I took them back and had them give me new hot ones) is a stretch. The bun was Pathmark variety and cold. We are not talking Costco big dogs here...I understand that the folks that won the contract have to make a profit...and for good quality and decent sized portions I will always pay a premium....but this was not up to my snuff at all.
The servers were very pleasant and mannerly and the area was clean. I liked that they had the condiments and silverware and napkins outside on the patio side so that you could get your own. I also like the ticket number announcement....I just really think that the prices are high.

I agree with BGS....The food concession is way overpriced. Got one of those awful frozen ice cream cones with the soggy cone.... yikes $3.00 !!

I agree with BGS regarding price. My husband ordered cheeseburger, chicken tenders, two fries and two drinks and the cost was over 25 dollars. That is just too much for basic fare in basic portions at a pool. The icecream prices are also out of line. I have told my son that we will not be getting lunch there as a rule. Do concessions have to provide pricing details and menu when they bid? Perhaps they bid to high (to win) and we are paying the price.

Posted By: modI agree with BGS regarding price. My husband ordered cheeseburger, chicken tenders, two fries and two drinks and the cost was over 25 dollars. That is just too much for basic fare in basic portions at a pool. The icecream prices are also out of line. I have told my son that we will not be getting lunch there as a rule. Do concessions have to provide pricing details and menu when they bid? Perhaps they bid to high (to win) and we are paying the price.

Whoa! That's ridiculous. You can get a Verjus burger with their amazing twice cooked potatoes (which are like a baked potato that's been smashed up and thrown in the deep fryer - yum) for $9.95.

I agree with prices being rediculous! I paid $5 for the 3 chicken tenders and no fries!! And to overcharge on ice cream when you know the kids are the ones to love it; not very friendly. Are the people who are running the concession the same people as last year? And what is the process of bidding on the concession? I would think that it would have been a very competitive process, since so many people are out of work and looking for a good way to make $.

Concession stands are always over priced. You eat there in a pinch because it is convenient. I think $5 for chicken tenders or two hot dogs is about right. I also think it is nice that you can pack your own lunch and bring your own food if you want. My pool growing up didn't allow that. We are just happy that they have Swedish Fish.

We pack food as a rule, but like to get a treat off and on. Nothing beats a frozen treat at the pool, and as a parent, it is so nice to splurge this way for your kids. I have wonderful memories of buying candy at my town's community pool when I was a kid also, so I would look to the snack bar for this kind of treat. Of course, it would be nice if I didn't feel priced-out. I haven't checked the prices yet this season, but I am hoping there are some affordable choices.

On another note, we have food allergies in our family, so we are totally accustomed to having food with us almost anywhere we go, but we like to expand to options outside the home. My daughter was at the pool with a friend last week, and she told me she tried to buy funnel cake at the snack bar (didn't know that they had such a nice option). Well, she asked them if she could find out the ingredients, and told them she had food allergies, and they told her not to buy it, stating they didn't have time to look. It was a weekday, so not having time is questionable. I am relating this story second hand (wasn't there to know the exact details of what really happened). It is a shame, for me, because I am teaching my daughter to speak up for herself and find options, rather than live in fear. So, for that reason, I take their reaction to her very personally. I know they are not the only ones who will respond this way. Hey, life is tough. In fact, having food allergies myself, it is worse when food vendors say a food does not contain an ingredient you inquire about, and you find out through an allergic reaction that they had not really checked! At least they did not mislead her, but I do think that brushing her off shows a lack of a desire to provide good service. Heck, I was at the roller rink in Florham Park not too long ago and asked to look at the ingredients of the hot dogs. The guy behind the counter brought the package to the counter in seconds for me to read myself. I love that and have found more and more people are willing to help out this way. I have also found more and more places are willing to prepare food that is a special request to meet dietary restrictions. This brings customers back, especially to a neighborhood establishment.

I have french fry monsters, so that's about the extend of our purchases...but also, gotta love those King Cones! Hey! eliz is making me hungry for those Verjus potatoes! :hungry:

I understand that when you buy from pool concessions you are paying more for convenience but $5.00 for 3 small chicken fingers plus fries at $4.00 and a lemonade at $2.50 is just too much. And the 3.00 ice cream treats are also out of line. I honestly want to know about the bidding process and if the price and menu are part of the equation.

In the meantime I'll bring food or order from Coney Island Hot Dog down the street. They are advertising that they are delivering.

We packed food on Sunday but were reprimanded for eating it on the upper deck. Since our kids are not interested in the kiddie pool anymore, that is a dicey proposition. Also, apparently and even more nonsensically, one can only drink water on the upper deck. All other beverages (like food) are restricted to the lower deck.

Of course you were reprimanded for eating on the upper deck! Having your kids sit at a table or down by the picnic tables is a dicey proposition? Why? I don't get your confusion - if you spill soda on the upper deck it has to be washed down so not to attract ants and whatever ... water is ok obviously.I see nothing nonsensical in those rules.

The ice cream/treats made a huge jump in price this year, so my kids won't be getting them. I solve the whining problem by not bringing any cash to the pool. We bring food from home and they eat that when their friends are having their dinners - either at the blue tables, the picnic tables or on a blanket on the grass below the main pools. I don't mind not being able to eat up there (as long as they let me keep my water!). I do wish Frank would bring his ice cream truck by, though since he is such a nice guy and his prices are half!

This was the problem with the over-priced bid. People complained about missing Freeman's crab cakes and salads, but it's the prices the vendor has to charge that's the problem.

I recommend the Coney Island Grill. We've been there twice after swimming and it was GREAT. We paid something like $5 for three hot dogs, a huge portion of fries, and a soda. The burgers and cheesesteaks were top notch too. And it's just around the corner.

The food is dishusting and overpriced. The service is horrendous and they seriously need some process re-ingeneering. The lines are long because they are not organized.

I wish Freedman's would come back!

I have found the food and service greatly improved from last year but also commented on the small portions for the price. My kids shared a fries and wanted another and I said no because of the price.
Either lower the prices or up the quantity by 20%.

Wow John, :shocked:tell us how you really feel. My boys share too, as I make sure I come with limited cash. :cool: Coney Island grill has the right price for us too!

Alg- $2.50 per dog is fine if it is a good dog to begin with and is served hot and in a steamed or toasted bun.
$2.25 for fountain soda that is in a cup filled with ice and less than 16oz is not fair IMO. I am going to speak to Coney Island Grill to see if they will deliver on the days that I do not have time to prepare in advance. And thank goodness we also have the option of Scotty's (??? - The old Nat's).

Posted By: algebra2Of course you were reprimanded for eating on the upper deck! Having your kids sit at a table or down by the picnic tables is a dicey proposition? Why? I don't get your confusion - if you spill soda on the upper deck it has to be washed down so not to attract ants and whatever ... water is ok obviously.I see nothing nonsensical in those rules.

Our daughters are not interested in staying down on the lower deck. They want to swim in the big pool. We want to eat, and we want them to eat. Additionally, for health, monetary, and religious reasons, we don't want them to eat the food from the vendor but forcing us to eat at the tables, which are located perilously close to the vendor, certainly makes it difficult.

Why wouldn't spilled soda on the lower deck also involve washing down? Because they always wash the lower deck down? Does that mean they don't always wash the upper deck down? I find that a little odd.

My 4 year old, who can be a bit picky, can't leave the pool without eating an order of Chicken Tenders so they must be doing something right, and I'm willing to pay the price for the pleasure of sitting in the late afternoon sun while my daughter winds down from her day and gets some food in her belly.

Deiscane - you've GOT to be kidding! Talk about coddling your kids. I think they can handle being "forced" to eat at the tables provided. And if it is so "perilously" close to the food vendor then they can picnic on the grass or down at the picnic table.

I think the pool should make an exception for you and your supremely entitled children and allow the precious munchkins to eat where ever they please. God forbid they're made to stay down on the lower deck!

You're the one who has GOT to be kidding. You've insulted me AND my children.

Cry me a river.

You don't think it is RIDICULOUS to claim that your kids shouldn't have to follow the rules and eat on the lower deck because they aren't "interested" in doing that?

That is insulting to every parent who teaches their child the difference between right and wrong and every parent who believes that kids can buck up and deal with picnicking on the grass and can handle not getting everything handled to them on a silver platter. I find your comments insulting to me, not only as a parent but as a human being - so there! God forbid you are forced to eat at a table. You claim I insulted you by calling your kids entitled. Re-read your post ... you certainly indicated that they were entitled to eat on the upper deck because that is what they want.

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!