Running for Maplewood Township Committee as Independent

I think the point remains -- non-partisan elections are not a guarantee of better government.  

max_weisenfeld said:

LOST said:

michaelgoldberg said:

I’m so glad we are non-partisan in SO.  
Why? Seriously, the politics in SO have always seemed bizarre to me. You elected a very young man as your "President". There appear to be frequent bitter factional disputes. I see more complaints from SO residents about the way the Town is run than I see from Maplewood residents. It is certainly counter-intuitive to think partisan elections at the Municipal level are better, but in reality they seem to work better.
I think that notion of SO politics is old news.  The township seems pretty well run these days.

OK, I'm glad to hear it.

ml1 said:
I think the point remains -- non-partisan elections are not a guarantee of better government.  

Oh, I agree.  Neither system is.

DannyArcher said:
Congrats on throwing your hat into the ring.  Might I suggest running on the pro-leaf blower ticket?  There is a silent majority/single issue voter bloc waiting to support that candidate!

There are plenty of anti-leaf blower votes around, so I'm not sure that this would be a winning strategy.

I think that looking at the two towns over the last decade or two convinces me that partisan or non-partisan doesn't really make a fundamental difference in how the towns are run.  It's the people who are elected that make that difference.   That being said, I don't really see the point of partisan elections at the local level, but I am not hot under the collar about it either.

One advantage I can see to partisan elections is the ability of municipal office holders to negotiate successfully on services and legislative issues with members of their own political party at the County and State level.  This only works if all of the officials in question are members of the same political party.

I would prefer non-partisan elections in Maplewood.  A small group of Democratic insiders effectively control politics in Maplewood these days.  That said, the people that are in power are doing a good job overall and have put Maplewood first and foremost in their efforts. 

sac said:
I think that looking at the two towns over the last decade or two convinces me that partisan or non-partisan doesn't really make a fundamental difference in how the towns are run.  It's the people who are elected that make that difference.   That being said, I don't really see the point of partisan elections at the local level, but I am not hot under the collar about it either.

yahooyahoo said:
I would prefer non-partisan elections in Maplewood.  A small group of Democratic insiders effectively control politics in Maplewood these days.  

I do not understand how you can say that when Mr. Lembrich ran a successful Primary against long-time Democratic TC Member Jerry Ryan, who had the endorsement of the Maplewood Democratic Committee.

Who is this "small group of Democratic insiders" and how do they "effectively control politics".

LOST said:

yahooyahoo said:
I would prefer non-partisan elections in Maplewood.  A small group of Democratic insiders effectively control politics in Maplewood these days.  
I do not understand how you can say that when Mr. Lembrich ran a successful Primary against long-time Democratic TC Member Jerry Ryan, who had the endorsement of the Maplewood Democratic Committee. Who is this "small group of Democratic insiders" and how do they "effectively control politics".

every so often if voters are unsatisfied with the incumbent, there is an opportunity for a challenger to be successful without the party endorsement.  

The important point that people should remember, is that nobody is going to win a primary without building a resume and some name recognition, endorsement or no endorsement.  If someone wants to run for office they are going to need to volunteer, be visible, go to TC meetings, planning board meetings, come up with some accomplishments.  Just saying "I want to run for TC" without having laid the groundwork is very unlikely to lead to success.

For the umpteenth time, - there is no "small group of Democratic insiders effectively control[ing] politics in Maplewood". There does thankfully exist an ELECTED democratic committee composed of 42 citizens who are themselves ELECTED by their neighbors in each of their neighborhood districts and who QUITE often disagree with each other.

It seems that each election cycle this has to be explained (yet again) to people who either willfully misrepresent the open and democratic process or are too lazy to get involved enough to learn of it yet wish to complain about a system which had served Maplewood very well.

Lembrich spent over $30,000 to get elected.  That is just a stupid amount of money to spend on a local election. There are two basic paths to the TC in Maplewood:

1) Get Democratic Committee endorsement

2) Spend tens of thousands of dollars to get elected

LOST said:

yahooyahoo said:
I do not understand how you can say that when Mr. Lembrich ran a successful Primary against long-time Democratic TC Member Jerry Ryan, who had the endorsement of the Maplewood Democratic Committee. Who is this "small group of Democratic insiders" and how do they "effectively control politics".

yahooyahoo said:
Lembrich spent over $30,000 to get elected.  That is just a stupid amount of money to spend on a local election. There are two basic paths to the TC in Maplewood: 1) Get Democratic Committee endorsement2) Spend tens of thousands of dollars to get elected
LOST said:
yahooyahoo said: I would prefer non-partisan elections in Maplewood.  A small group of Democratic insiders effectively control politics in Maplewood these days.  

I have had a few people telling me that since I am not endorse by any party specially the Democratic Party that I shouldn’t run. Everyone knows that if you run for the republic party you won’t win plain and simple. 

I am not a politician and it’s incredible how much I have learn. Yes, I’m going as independent. Am I risking it ? Absolutely. Do I think I have a fair chance? I believe so. I do believe there should be a fair democracy in our town meaning having options, where all residents get the chance to hear another candidate that perhaps could represent them better. 

Yes, I hear all about the $30,000 dollars coming out of Lembrich pocket. God bless him. I don’t think I could put $100 from my own pocket for my campaign. It seems if you invest A LOT of money well it helps you win a spot. That is great, if you have it go for it. 

With all this said I am just agreeing with yahooyahoo post. He/she is not the only person who believes this. MANY residents have told me this. But this doesn’t discourage me to run. I have the passion to help our community. I have always helped it any possible way i can, why not do it in a bigger platform.

I almost got all my signatures to submit my application - so excited !!!!! wink 

HarleyQuinn said:

yahooyahoo said: Lembrich spent over $30,000 to get elected.  That is just a stupid amount of money to spend on a local election. There are two basic paths to the TC in Maplewood: 1) Get Democratic Committee endorsement2) Spend tens of thousands of dollars to get elected
LOST said:
yahooyahoo said: I would prefer non-partisan elections in Maplewood.  A small group of Democratic insiders effectively control politics in Maplewood these days.  
I have had a few people telling me that since I am not endorse by any party specially the Democratic Party that I shouldn’t run. Everyone knows that if you run for the republic party you won’t win plain and simple.  I am not a politician and it’s incredible how much I have learn. Yes, I’m going as independent. Am I risking it ? Absolutely. Do I think I have a fair chance? I believe so. I do believe there should be a fair democracy in our town meaning having options, where all residents get the chance to hear another candidate that perhaps could represent them better.  Yes, I hear all about the $30,000 dollars coming out of Lembrich pocket. God bless him. I don’t think I could but $100 from my pocket for my campaign. It seems if you invest A LOT of money well it helps you win a spot. That is great, if you have it go for it.  With all this said I am just agreeing with yahooyahoo post. He/she is not the only person who believes this. MANY residents have told me this. But this doesn’t discourage me to run. I have the passion to help our community. I have always helped it any possible way i can, why not do it in a bigger platform.I almost got all my signatures to submit my application - so excited !!!!! wink 

Damn I love this town.  Just when we thought we were in for a quiet few months.  As I said......I'll deliver the Village for you.  And I promise not to mention the Circus Building...........we'll maybe just a little.

Here we go.

HQ

I believe you should run. I was a losing candidate in a Board of Ed. election 45 years ago. At candidate forums, I learned about problems and concerns about Millburn public schools. I learned that I didn't have all the answers. And I learned that I didn't have to win to have my ideas accepted.

I was, and still am, interested in education. What should be taught? Why it is important and how things could be taught. My platform proposed credit for independent study outside the school. I proposed pass/fail courses. I lost the election...came in dead last out of a slate of 6. 

But damn. Next year, the Board of Ed. proposed and passed both of my proposals.

So go for it. You will be encouraged. You will be criticized. You will learn new stuff when you get asked questions about finance, pot holes, zoning and who knows, what else. You may lose. You may even get the least amount of votes. Or maybe you will even end up being mayor in 6 or 8 years.

Figure out what ideas you have for the town. Identify what you think is good about the town that you can support. When you have done this, you will be the best candidate you can be.

Formerlyjerseyjack said:
HQ I believe you should run. I was a losing candidate in a Board of Ed. election 45 years ago. At candidate forums, I learned about problems and concerns about Millburn public schools. I learned that I didn't have all the answers. And I learned that I didn't have to win to have my ideas accepted. I was, and still am, interested in education. What should be taught? Why it is important and how things could be taught. My platform proposed credit for independent study outside the school. I proposed pass/fail courses. I lost the election...came in dead last out of a slate of 6.  But damn. Next year, the Board of Ed. proposed and passed both of my proposals. So go for it. You will be encouraged. You will be criticized. You will learn new stuff when you get asked questions about finance, pot holes, zoning and who knows, what else. You may lose. You may even get the least amount of votes. Or maybe you will even end up being mayor in 6 or 8 years. Figure out what ideas you have for the town. Identify what you think is good about the town that you can support. When you have done this, you will be the best candidate you can be.

Thank you for the encouraging words. Believe me it helps the soul and gives you hope that some residents are opened mind and give you an opportunity of what you have to offer.  I’ve been discourage MANY TIMES and have been critized too. Even heard some harsh words and nasty attitude to the point i just want to run away and cry. I’m human words do hurt. But I m learning as I go, learning to have a thick skin, learn to forgive, learn to be positive. Sometimes I wonder why give me so much grief when all I want is the best for Maplewood !!! 

I am hearing the residents concerns, writing it all down in my pink note book. Doing my researches, talking to other TC member who used to serve us, brainstorming ideas ... it’s a lot of work but it’s worth it. I want to do my best, I welcome all advice good or bad. If you see me stop me and talked to me. I love to listen and expand my knowledge and hear your thoughts. Yes. It’s a TOUGH path, but it will be very gratifying to serve my community. wink

BTW: HarleyQuinn, - I would offer one small piece of advice getting started, -you should get at least 5 or even 10 more signatures than you think you need as sometimes several can be rejected for the smallest of technical reasons such as "illegibility". You don't want that nuisance down the road.

steel said:
BTW: HarleyQuinn, - I would offer one small piece of advice getting started, -you should get at least 5 or even 10 more signatures than you think you need as sometimes several can be rejected for the smallest of technical reasons such as "illegibility". You don't want that nuisance down the road.

yes !! Thank you steel. Someone mentioned that to me .. not only for “technically” reason but also people can sign my petition saying they are registered voters when they are not (at least not t in maplewood) or already signed another candidate petition. So I am planning to get 120 signatures to play it save. But thanks you for confirming me what a other resident advice me. This is the reason why I welcome all advice the good, the bad and ugly to learn and be aware wink 

steel said:

Interesting that that is all that is needed here.  In NYC, the rule of thumb is get three times the number of signatures.

HQ You said you would like to make a difference. In what way? What do you want to change or improve in Maplewood?

galileo said:
HQ You said you would like to make a difference. In what way? What do you want to change or improve in Maplewood?

You are asking a person who is still accumulating signatures needed to be an official  candidate and yet 

to make an official statement declaring her candidacy to outline her platform?

Fastest voter in the East............have you questioned the other two candidates who are officially in the race?

HarleyQuinn said:

Yes, I hear all about the $30,000 dollars coming out of Lembrich pocket. God bless him. I don’t think I could put $100 from my own pocket for my campaign. It seems if you invest A LOT of money well it helps you win a spot. That is great, if you have it go for it.  With all this said I am just agreeing with yahooyahoo post. He/she is not the only person who believes this. MANY residents have told me this. But this doesn’t discourage me to run. I have the passion to help our community. I have always helped it any possible way i can, why not do it in a bigger platform. I almost got all my signatures to submit my application - so excited !!!!! wink 

I do not believe that one has to spend $30,000.00 to win a Primary or an Election in Maplewood. But I think you may have to spend a little more than $100.00. If you campaign the right way at the very least you will need a new pair of shoes. grin 

someone running for office ought to have a few general ideas of what he or she thinks is important.  It's not an outrageous thing to ask for, even at the petition stage of the campaign.

Ileana have you taken a look at the She Should Run website?

http://www.sheshouldrun.org/

ml1 said:
someone running for office ought to have a few general ideas of what he or she thinks is important.  It's not an outrageous thing to ask for, even at the petition stage of the campaign.

I'd think that this is one for Capt. Obvious.

If, as stated above, signing a petition to get a candidate's name on the ballot as an Independent candidate means that you are endorsing that candidate and pledging to vote for him/her in the general election, it is not unreasonable to want to know what the candidate would like to accomplish once in office.  This is quite different from expecting the candidate to have a fully developed platform at this stage in the election process.

LOST said:

ml1 said: someone running for office ought to have a few general ideas of what he or she thinks is important.  It's not an outrageous thing to ask for, even at the petition stage of the campaign.
 I'd think that this is one for Capt. Obvious.

apparently not obvious to author 

ml1 said:

Im unfamiliar with many things that happens in our town. This is new territory for me. I can’t make an official platform/statement when I am still doing research and listening to the community. This takes time. I do not want to rush and say “I will do this” and disappointment you or “thinks should me like this” when I have but knowledge how things are run. I do not want to lie and promise things I can’t deliver. I want to be 100% sure of what i tell the community. I am in an early stage. Getting signatures and listening to the community. When I am ready believe me you will all know what I want to achieve in maplewood. Be patience with me. If you don’t want to sign I understand, but I am thankful for those who have sign my petition and are willing to wait to see what I have to offer. 

HQ, have you been attending TC or committee meetings? There's a big difference between what the town leadership has to manage vs. the concerns of the average citizen.

kthnry said:
HQ, have you been attending TC or committee meetings? There's a big difference between what the town leadership has to manage vs. the concerns of the average citizen.

I’ve been to the meetings not as much as I should but yes I’ve had my fair share. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.