I'm hearing rumors/speculation that Trump may withdraw....

blackcat said:

I'm waiting for Trump to drop out, then turn to his "followers" and tell them to take a good look at how pathetic they really are. 

A lot of his followers aren't pathetic at all.  A lot are trying to make sense of a world that has kind of left them behind.

tjohn said:
blackcat said:

I'm waiting for Trump to drop out, then turn to his "followers" and tell them to take a good look at how pathetic they really are. 

A lot of his followers aren't pathetic at all.  A lot are trying to make sense of a world that has kind of left them behind.

+10

RealityForAll said:

tjohn said:
blackcat said:

+10

What happened? They can't pull themselves up by their bootstraps? 

All those racist middle-aged white men are wondering where their world went?  It's called progress.

RealityForAll said:

tjohn said:
blackcat said:

+10

They're not trying very hard.   Taking comfort in the shallow easy truths of a demagogue is not trying.  The world has been down this ugly road many times before.

yahooyahoo said:

All those racist middle-aged white men are wondering where their world went?  It's called progress.

I guess it doesn't really feel like progress if you are a 3rd or 4th generation coal miner or worker in heavy industry and now the world you have always known is gone.  These people aren't voting to bring back a pre-Civil Rights and pre-Title IX America.  They just want the prosperity or relative prosperity and sense of place they used to enjoy.  So, they are an easy mark for politicians who come along and promise to make things better.

tjohn said:
yahooyahoo said:

I guess it doesn't really feel like progress if you are a 3rd or 4th generation coal miner or worker in heavy industry and now the world you have always known is gone.  These people aren't voting to bring back a pre-Civil Rights and pre-Title IX America.  They just want the prosperity or relative prosperity and sense of place they used to enjoy.  So, they are an easy mark for politicians who come along and promise to make things better.

You have said that a number of times as have I. Doesn't make a dent.

A new challenge to Trump.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/evan-mcmullin-2016-presidential-run-226784

LOST said:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/evan-mcmullin-2016-presidential-run-226784

Citing “multiple sources” in a series of posts to Twitter, MSNBC host Joe Scarborough was the first to announce McMullin's bid. He said McMullin will kick off his campaign Monday and has “the backing of key $ contributors in the Republican Party.”

Kiss of death.

Trump has promised bring jobs back to America.

What does this mean?  What type of jobs? Where will they be?  What kind of industries?  How will the coal miners and other heavy industry workers get trained for these new jobs?

In the meantime, Trump manufactures many of his products overseas.

If the disenfranchised blue-collar worker took the time to really think it through, they would realize that Trump is full of sh#t.

BCC said:
tjohn said:
yahooyahoo said:

You have said that a number of times as have I. Doesn't make a dent.

yahooyahoo said:

Trump has promised bring jobs back to America.

What does this mean?  What type of jobs? Where will they be?  What kind of industries?  How will the coal miners and other heavy industry workers get trained for these new jobs?

In the meantime, Trump manufactures many of his products overseas.

If the disenfranchised blue-collar worker took the time to really think it through, they would realize that Trump is full of sh#t.

Of course, all the government promises of job retraining are off-target as well.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/opinions/reagan-republican-trump-no-clothes-lavin/index.html

Reagan Republican: Trump is the emperor with no clothes

yahooyahoo said:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/07/opinions/reagan-republican-trump-no-clothes-lavin/index.html

Reagan Republican: Trump is the emperor with no clothes

You are mostly preaching to the choir around here.  My only point was that a lot of us (myself included from time to time) need to get out of the habit of writing off all Trump supporters as racists.

ridski said:
LOST said:

Citing “multiple sources” in a series of posts to Twitter, MSNBC host Joe Scarborough was the first to announce McMullin's bid. He said McMullin will kick off his campaign Monday and has “the backing of key $ contributors in the Republican Party.”

Kiss of death.

A complete unknown decides to begin running for President in August. All this is is a "safe harbor" for Republicans who won't vote for Trump, Clinton, Johnson or Stein. I guess the idea is to get those Republicans to the Polls to help the down ticket candidates.

However, if Trump gets distracted by this and spends time attacking this guy instead of attacking Hillary it could help her and hurt Trump worse.

Trump is showing remarkable restraint with hecklers. He so wants to go off script. But don't discount this speech - it's going to appeal to a lot of people. 

cramer said:

Trump is showing remarkable restraint with hecklers. He so wants to go off script. But don't discount this speech - it's going to appeal to a lot of people. 

I suspect all the hecklers achieved was to annoy a lot of fair minded people who think Trump has the right to speak without interruption in a venue he has rented. Under those conditions even he has that right.

tjohn said:
yahooyahoo said:

As I have said before on this board, we are in a post-jobs era. Euphemistically known as the gig economy. There will never, in our lifetimes, be enough "regular jobs" for everyone. That's why many conservative and liberal thinkers are in favor of a universal basic income (UBI). It would replace all social-welfare programs except Medicaid and Medicare.

Here's the previous thread:
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/id/126896-Universal-Basic-Income-An-idea-that-liberals-and-conservatives-are-embracing

shoshannah said:

As I have said before on this board, we are in a post-jobs era. Euphemistically known as the gig economy. There will never, in our lifetimes, be enough "regular jobs" for everyone. That's why many conservative and liberal thinkers are in favor of a universal basic income (UBI). It would replace all social-welfare programs except Medicaid and Medicare.

Here's the previous thread:
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/id/126896-Universal-Basic-Income-An-idea-that-liberals-and-conservatives-are-embracing

Problem is that universal basic income addresses only a fraction of the post-jobs era problem.  For basically all of human existence, we have defined ourselves and our communities through our work and now that is changing rather rapidly.  Maybe historians will look back on this time and equate it with the disruption of rapid industrialization.  Not having lived through that, it is a bit hard for me to judge.

ridski said:
LOST said:

Kiss of death.

He's already mathematically eliminated. The ballot deadline has passed in states that have more than a majority of electoral votes.

tom said:
ridski said:
LOST said:

Kiss of death.

He's already mathematically eliminated. The ballot deadline has passed in states that have more than a majority of electoral votes.

Who is already mathematically eliminated?

BCC said:
cramer said:

I suspect all the hecklers achieved was to annoy a lot of fair minded people who think Trump has the right to speak without interruption in a venue he has rented. Under those conditions even he has that right.

Political candidates get heckled all the time. They have to learn how to deal with it.

tjohn said:
blackcat said:

Agreed, but I can imagine Trump saying that anyway!

Tom_Reingold said:
tjohn said:
blackcat said:

Agreed, but I can imagine Trump saying that anyway!

Hard to picture Trump being a gracious loser.

tjohn said:

McMullin

The latest "not Trump" Republican candidate for POTUS.  

mjh said:
tjohn said:

McMullin

The latest "not Trump" Republican candidate for POTUS.  

Ah, but he wouldn't have been in the race even without the filing deadlines.

He has more of a right to claim the election is rigged than Trump. After all why shouldn't a candidate be able to egt on the ballot anytime up to when they actually print them which couldn't be before October 1st.

LOST said:
BCC said:
cramer said:

Political candidates get heckled all the time. They have to learn how to deal with it.

From what I saw he did handle it well. No stupid insults, he just stood there quietly while the demonstrators were ushered out with the audience applauding.

He seems to have learned the unscripted rant doesn't work at this level.

cramer said:

Which speech are you referring to?

His economic policy speech today for the Detroit Economic Club. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/09/us/politics/donald-trump-economy-speech.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0 

The speech was aimed at voters in Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Ohio. Trump is setting himself up as the economic growth candidate vs. Clinton as the no-growth candidate.

BCC said:
LOST said:
BCC said:
cramer said:

From what I saw he did handle it well. No stupid insults, he just stood there quietly while the demonstrators were ushered out with the audience applauding.

He seems to have learned the unscripted rant doesn't work at this level.

My hunch: Now it's burning inside, and tonight or tomorrow it will come out like a volcano.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.