How To Park Like a Tool

Slight thread drift, but:

A: 99.9% of the drivers exiting 78W to Millburn/Maplewood can figure out to form two lanes on the ramp.

What I can't understand is how the remaining 0.1% can place themselves in the middle, when they see two lines of cars ahead of them!

B: When making a left turn from south bound Valley, IF you pull out to the center, there is sufficient room for most vehicles to pass you on the right (only trucks will have to stop).

If you stay in the middle of the south bound lane, you are blocking traffic!

tomcat said:

A: 99.9% of the drivers exiting 78W to Millburn/Maplewood can figure out to form two lanes on the ramp.

What I can't understand is how the remaining 0.1% can place themselves in the middle, when they see two lines of cars ahead of them!

B: When making a left turn from south bound Valley, IF you pull out to the center, there is sufficient room for most vehicles to pass you on the right (only trucks will have to stop).

It's actually only one lane, it's wide so larger vehicles can make the turn.

tomcat said:

The problem here is that half of the tools who line up on the right then cut into the left lane to continue straight on Milburn instead of making another right that goes past that school. I've been tempted to stay in the middle just to stomp these jerks.

There's a usually crowded off-ramp from the Schulykill Expressway in Philly like that. My feeling is: If you're local or otherwise familiar with the two-lane drill, great. If not, no sweat.

Im in agreement with daveschmidt the ramp does not meet federal DOT specs for a two lane off ramp, it's several feet shy. However, if people are willing to find a solution so be it but it's per individual verdict on that agreement. I also agree that many if not most right lane users are disingenuous and then try to merge left onto Vauxhall which I find more vexing than the single ramp issue. I'm typically coming from the other direction on 78, which has its own oddity of merging into Springfield Ave resulting in accidents regularly. How any of us make it home alive remains a mystery to me

And I should note that I constantly check this string assuming one day I will see my vehicle posted here as my parking skills are easily matched by a pack of aardvarks driving a tank. Although thus far I've been lucky to avoid recognition.

lewis9961 said:

tomcat said:

Why would it start to narrow right when one would actually start to turn, then?

Regardless, if you see 20 cars in front of you in two lines, then still decide to squat in the middle instead of behind one or another, it doesn't matter if you're from out of town or just unaware. You're an ***.

Nope, disagree. It's a one-lane exit, proven by the absence of a dividing line painted. It makes me crazy when people make it two-lane then cut back to left lane instead of making required right turn as described above.

ctrzaska said:

lewis9961 said:

tomcat said:

Regardless, if you see 20 cars in front of you in two lines, then still decide to squat in the middle instead of behind one or another, it doesn't matter if you're from out of town or just unaware. You're an ***.

The problem there isn't two lanes. Parker facing Valley isn't two lanes, but folks will pass on the right. Valley making a left onto Parker? Same. The list of unmarked roads used as two lanes, particularly near turns, is endless around here. Your problem is with an entirely different group of ***** who stay in the right lineup and then try to cut over. And you don't have to let them in. I'd sooner lose paint than do so.

I need to come clean. I did this very thing this past Sunday. My partner and I were driving home in separate vehicles and we wanted my car in the driveway first. We created two lanes at the light so I could dart in front of him into the Millburn lane. To any other person than us, it would have appeared I was cutting him off. We didn't give it a second thought until reading these comments. question

BTW, we have never been able to figure out that intersection either. Is it two lanes or one? If one lane, I can't help but wonder why there aren't angled white lines painted on the left and right sides of the ramp near the light so non local drivers can actually tell it is meant to be one lane?

Red_Barchetta said:

tomcat said:

The problem here is that half of the tools who line up on the right then cut into the left lane to continue straight on Milburn instead of making another right that goes past that school. I've been tempted to stay in the middle just to stomp these jerks.

It is one of the last places in the world where we are trusted to use our own good judgment when we drive. I'm sure it will be choked down to one lane with lots of lines and signs quite soon.

Jeepers' have an unwritten courtesy code and this person is clearly oblivious to it. I would suggest placing a picture of an H2 or H3 hummer on their windshield as an act of revenge.

Steve said:

Today's award winner at Third & Valley

My partner just told me to maybe 'shut it' about the lines. Sorry! smile

FilmCarp said:

It is one of the last places in the world where we are trusted to use our own good judgment when we drive. I'm sure it will be choked down to one lane with lots of lines and signs quite soon.

ctrzaska said:

If you look up *** in New Jersey Statutes Title 39 (Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation) you'll see that intent is required before any driver can be cited for being one.

Millburn Ave. is one way and sorry it ain't the way you're headn' buddy...

CompassRose said:

Millburn Ave. is one way and sorry it ain't the way you're headn' buddy...

Omigod! Wow!

Agree. It's not a two lane exit, period. Although drivers make it so during busy times. If someone doesn't fall in line with everyone else I can't blame them.

bets said:

Nope, disagree. It's a one-lane exit, proven by the absence of a dividing line painted. It makes me crazy when people make it two-lane then cut back to left lane instead of making required right turn as described above.
ctrzaska said:

lewis9961 said:

tomcat said:

Today's winner at Third & Valley.

Are those spots simply too thin at Third and Valley? I haven't had to park there yet, but looking at that picture, both cars on either side are breaking over the yellow lines of their spots. If the Ford parked in either 167 or 165 within those lines, I don't think the driver or passenger could open the door.

They're narrow, but one can fit a large car between the lines if one makes the effort.

Like I said, it can be done.

How far over the lines are the other two cars?

I don't understand what you're asking Which cars?

Steve said:

LOL, right sure. The Fiat and what looks possibly like a early 2000 TL

Steve said:

The ones on either side of that land yacht.

Your question was can a large vehicle fit in the space. It can. That's it. If everyone parks within the lines, it works and there is enough space.

From Thursday afternoon. If this car had parked properly there would have been room for another car along Maplewood Avenue. The station lot was full.

Steve said:

Your question was can a large vehicle fit in the space. It can. That's it. If everyone parks within the lines, it works and there is enough space.

My question was "Are those spots simply too thin at Third and Valley?" I'm trying to figure out if there really is enough space for everyone to park within the lines, especially if we all drove 80.5 inch wide Yukons.

Parking lot completely full, and this.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.