Homicide on Northfield Avenue archived

Dianec said:

I tell my son growing up not to fear life so he joined the military. I think citizens who say they aren't afraid of nothing should join the military.

Really????? If so, YIKES! #-O

I'm not afraid of nothing.

I'm afraid to go to Syria, but I'm OK with West Orange.

An interesting development. Not too hard to guess the reason.

Woulda thought they had enough, given all the publicly disclosed information on the case.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/02/nj_man_released_from_jail_on_charges_of_killing_li.html#incart_river

Justice for the Tevlins. Justice for Brendan.

Why let him out? This blows.

FilmCarp said:

Bail cut, prosecutor doesn't object, he's been out over a week and it just hit the press.... Read between the lines. His buddies are.

Jackson_Fusion said:

FilmCarp said:

Bail cut, prosecutor doesn't object, he's been out over a week and it just hit the press.... Read between the lines. His buddies are.

Ok, I get it, he's going to rat out his buddies and turn state's evidence. But, isn't it a little risky to let him walk the streets? I would imagine there would be a number of people who would like him to be dead. Doesn't the state sometimes keep people in prison until they testify, just to increase the odds that they make it to the trial?

Where did he get the $500,000 bail? Even a bond would cost him at least $50,000. Where does he get that type of money?

Jasmo said:

Jackson_Fusion said:

FilmCarp said:

Ok, I get it, he's going to rat out his buddies and turn state's evidence. But, isn't it a little risky to let him walk the streets? I would imagine there would be a number of people who would like him to be dead. Doesn't the state sometimes keep people in prison until they testify, just to increase the odds that they make it to the trial?

I assume that's why Essex County didn't announce he was out till 2 weeks after he was. I imagine he's in a hole somewhere.....metaphorically.

Edit: Max, a family member or several could have put the house equity up. Who knows. Maybe he comes from some money.

Let us know where he is, maybe we can stop by and say " hi"

SCUM

And someone had posted $50,000 for him last spring as well, according to the article. This kid is draining some family member dry.

I am relieved that the person released wasn't Ali Muhammad Brown. But still.

i'm thinking maybe he ratted out his buddies so they went lenient on him.

I suppose that we can hope that Jihadi Jim will get a real sentence in Washington. Even with this pig squealing I doubt he will get a real sentence in this state. Just look at Shawn Custis' record of staycations and mini breaks in NJ's fine correctional facilities.

Hopefully Washington will take care of him since NJ doesn't know how

Somehow there has got to be changes in the judges who name these decisions .
It is painful knowing that criminals who end lives should have a chance to ever be free .

In that vein , I have no sympathy at all and wonder at the judge who did this

I admit I don't remember the details, but wasn't their a ballot question last November on changing the requirements for bail? If so, this might be part of it.

bobk said:

I admit I don't remember the details, but wasn't their a ballot question last November on changing the requirements for bail? If so, this might be part of it.

As I recall, the initiative would have allowed judges to forgo bail. Since this judge was willing to cut the bail in half, I doubt he (or she?) would have been willing to forgo it.

Suppose the judge agreed to the bail based upon the prosecutor's information that this would be the only way to get him to testify against his co-defendants, that such testimony was necessary to get a conviction, and that his location would be secured until the trial? Would you still be opposed to his release?

There's a mystery fourth person that they seem to be shielding too, though. Plus pretty solid ballistic evidence, and three other pending murder charges against the shooter.

It's hard to believe that there isn't enough to nail Ali Muhammed Brown, who acknowledged both his act and his motivation for Tevlin's killings as well as the killings in Seattle.

Eric Williams is alleged to have been the driver, while Brown and Jeremy Villagrans were the brave warriors who marched up to Tevlin's car to murder an unarmed, unsuspecting and innocent "just kill" (Brown's words), with kid-touching, gay-hating Brown alleged to be the trigger man.

So some context on the relative placement of these super stars in the constellation of filth.

Reasonable doubt is far more difficult establish when a known accomplice testifies to the incident in detail. Naturally, the credibility and motives for this testimony will be attacked in cross-examination, but the physical evidence paired with eyewitness testimony is far more compelling than the forensics alone.

We'd prefer to see all of the accused convicted and sentenced equally, but it is a tactical reality that the guilt of the worst offenders must be assured by offering reduced penalties to the lesser defendants for their cooperation. Every prosecution carries the risk of acquittal, no matter how heinous and obvious the guilt appears in print.

I was finally able to read the latest story for the first time today (our Internet connection is total crap, so it would never load before), and I look at the photo of the victim and just can't wrap my head around what they did to him. And this paragraph from the story made my eyes fill with tears:

"More than 1,000 people attended a Nov. 30 concert in Montclair to celebrate Tevlin's life. Proceeds from the event were expected to go towards improvements to an athletic field at Seton Hall Prep, which had announced plans to rename the field for Tevlin."

His poor parents.

You can not reply as this discussion is Closed!