GOP2020: What Becomes Of The Collaborators Post-Trump?

LOST said:
At a Rally yesterday Trump praised a Congressman who pleaded guilty to assaulting a reporter. This is while he downplays the murder of Khashoggi. Even the Brits have called him out
https://www.politico.eu/article/uk-no-10-responds-to-donald-trump-praise-for-congressman-greg-gianforte-who-body-slammed-reporter/

Is it really such a stretch to call Trump a Fascist?

There is a direct line between all this media bashing that Trump and the conservatives do, and the fact that MBS thought he could get away with killing Khashoggi. Trump is just a useful idiot, but conservatives have his blood on their hands. And sadly, until we have a change of leadership in this country, the bashing (and all its consequences) will continue.

It's just as well that Trump doesn't visit the troops overseas. They wouldn't enjoy a visit from him.

tjohn said:

LOST said:

Is it really such a stretch to call Trump a Fascist?
I don't think he is a Fascist.  I think Trump is a shameless opportunist who will do anything to win the battle of the moment.  

Couldn't one say the exact same thing about Mussolini?

GL2 said:
 Agree. Anyone following the FBI building story about competition for Trump's hotel? How blatant does his behavior need to be before some arm of government steps up.

What arm of the government are you talking about? Surely not the Senate, run by McConnell. Or the House "run" by Ryan with input from people like Nunes and the "Freedom Caucus".

The Judiciary? It's being packed with right-wingers.

It is "The People" who have to step up and change the Congress. If the Republicans keep control this stuff will just continue. If the Dems take over one House it might not. But I say "might" not. Trump will use all the power he has to grab as much loot as he can as long as he can.  

Steve Kornacki in The Red and the Blue seems to trace the giant division and intolerance to the rise of Newt in the 90s.

LOST said:

GL2 said:
 Agree. Anyone following the FBI building story about competition for Trump's hotel? How blatant does his behavior need to be before some arm of government steps up.
 What arm of the government are you talking about? Surely not the Senate, run by McConnell. Or the House "run" by Ryan with input from people like Nunes and the "Freedom Caucus".
The Judiciary? It's being packed with right-wingers.
It is "The People" who have to step up and change the Congress. If the Republicans keep control this stuff will just continue. If the Dems take over one House it might not. But I say "might" not. Trump will use all the power he has to grab as much loot as he can as long as he can.  

Hey, I’m depressed enough already.

...and full of anxiety about the midterms. What if dems don’t at least win the House? 

GL2 said:
Steve Kornacki in The Red and the Blue seems to trace the giant division and intolerance to the rise of Newt in the 90s.

So the US empire falls because Newt had to sit in the back of air force one? That's rich

LOST said:

GL2 said:
...and full of anxiety about the midterms. What if dems don’t at least win the House? 

Haven't you gents heard?  Elections are futile. "We are sliding into facisim and voting for corrupt Democrats is not enough to stop that. At least there should have been a massive uprising against the DNC when they lost to a psycho orange reality star and refused to change and even doubled down. But, barely a peep and people like Debbie Wasermn Schultz, and Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton are considered part of the 'Resistance' when they are really part of the 'Assistance.' "

GL2 said:

Then conservatives will have nobody to blame in 2020

nohero said:

LOST said:

GL2 said:
 Haven't you gents heard?  Elections are futile.  We are sliding into facisim and voting for corrupt Democrats is not enough to stop that. At least there should have been a massive uprising against the DNC when they lost to a psycho orange reality star and refused to change and even doubled down. But, barely a peep and people like Debbie Wasermn Schultz, and Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton are considered part of the "Resistance" when they are really part of the "Assistance."

OMG, which lunatic did you source that from?

gerritn said:

GL2 said:
Then conservatives will have nobody to blame in 2020

They're already blaming others for the latest increase in the deficit.

Trump has raised a lot of money. Is he legally able to divert funds to other Republican candidates? 

I was completely unaware until a short time ago that the Conservative news machine, including Junior, has been smearing Khashoggi for a week now. 

Trump Jr. Boosts Smear Tying Missing Journalist Jamal Khashoggi to Islamic Terrorism

Conservatives mount a whisper campaign smearing Khashoggi in defense of Trump

gerritn said:

nohero said:

LOST said:
GL2 said:
 Haven't you gents heard?  Elections are futile.  We are sliding into facisim and voting for corrupt Democrats is not enough to stop that. At least there should have been a massive uprising against the DNC when they lost to a psycho orange reality star and refused to change and even doubled down. But, barely a peep and people like Debbie Wasermn Schultz, and Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton are considered part of the "Resistance" when they are really part of the "Assistance."

Meet Nan.  

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/america-the-farewell-tour?page=next&limit=120#discussion-replies-3425967

in what possible scenario can a “fight” end in a mans head being cut off with a bone saw? 

GL2 said:
Tangential: just read an interview in current Mother Jones in which David Corn interviews conservative Max Boot. Boot talks about his gradual recognition of what the Republican party is now. And not just in Trump Era, but - given what he's seen and heard - he has a realization that so many previously-held ideas were in fact code talk for policies that have, at root, misogyny, racism, xenophobia.
I'd like to believe that this is an honest "confession" of sorts, even though  these points seem obvious. The interview felt quite real.
Even as a cynical old-school lefty, I was kinda moved by this piece.

I'm halfway through the piece and I agree. I'm surprised at how much he's turning his back on. It seems honest to me. Looks like he really had a "come to Jesus" moment. Reminds me of David Brock and his turnaround.

Tom_Reingold said:
It's just as well that Trump doesn't visit the troops overseas. They wouldn't enjoy a visit from him.

Why do you think that? I wish that it were true - but I also think that among the military grunts he'd be quite popular. As he is with our police force.

Which is, of course, effing frightening.

sbenois said:

gerritn said:

nohero said:

LOST said:
GL2 said:
 Meet Nan.  

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/america-the-farewell-tour?page=next&limit=120#discussion-replies-3425967

I guess lunatic was understating things

nohero said:
Saudi Arabia makes a statement.  This will put the questions to rest, no doubt.
In the statement, the kingdom’s public prosecutor said that an investigation had found that an argument broke out between Mr. Khashoggi and men who met him inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2, leading to “a fistfight that led to his death.”

President Trump makes America the chump for the Saudi Friday news dump.

Asked during a visit to an Air Force base in Arizona whether he viewed the Saudi explanation as credible, Mr. Trump said, “I do.”

The president said he still had questions for Prince Mohammed, and he called the killing of Mr. Khashoggi “unacceptable.” Mr. Trump also raised the possibility of sanctions against Saudi Arabia, but said that he hoped that Congress would not try to block billions of dollars in weapons sales to the kingdom, which he has held up as proof of the fruits of the alliance.

nohero said:
President Trump makes America the chump for the Saudi Friday news dump.

What else is new? Russia does it, NK does it.

So, welcome to the Trump is your chump club, Arabia.

The word in the diplomatic world is "if a**holes can fly, Trump would be a rocket." One reason Nikki Haley got out.

Whereas, he's posturing himself in front of his mirror as I'm the most stable genius of all.

Brawling Jamal Rumbled With 15 Security Dudes

BEIRUT, Lebanon — After two weeks of shifting stories, Saudi Arabia said Saturday that its agents strangled Jamal Khashoggi, a dissident journalist, during a fistfight inside the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul and that 18 men had been arrested in the case.

Those arrested included 15 men who were sent to confront Mr. Khashoggi, plus one driver and two consular staff members, a Saudi official said.

Saudi state media reported that Saud al-Qahtani, a close aide to the crown prince, had been dismissed, along with Maj. Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri, the deputy director of Saudi intelligence, and other high-ranking intelligence officials. The Saudi official said General Assiri had organized the operation and that Mr. Qahtani had known about it and contributed to an aggressive environment that allowed it to escalate.

President Trump on Friday night said that Saudi Arabia’s statements were credible and that, along with its announcement of arrests, amounted to “good first steps.”

nyt

Of course, the question becomes, "Who TF is stupid enough to buy this story?" 

The answer: DJT

gerritn said:

sbenois said:

gerritn said:

nohero said:

LOST said:
GL2 said:
 Meet Nan.  

I guess lunatic was understating things

FFS, guys, give it a rest.

nohero said:

LOST said:
GL2 said:
 Haven't you gents heard?  Elections are futile. "We are sliding into facisim and voting for corrupt Democrats is not enough to stop that. At least there should have been a massive uprising against the DNC when they lost to a psycho orange reality star and refused to change and even doubled down. But, barely a peep and people like Debbie Wasermn Schultz, and Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton are considered part of the 'Resistance' when they are really part of the 'Assistance.' "

there is actually a bit of truth in this.  Back in the W. Bush era, the call was to elect Democrats, and then over time, elect "better" Democrats.  Lately we haven't done either.  But step one this year should be to vote out as many GOP congress people as possible. Then the next steps will be to elect more Democrats who are more responsive to the needs of working people.

GL2 said:

Saudi state media reported that Saud al-Qahtani, a close aide to the crown prince, had been dismissed, along with Maj. Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri, the deputy director of Saudi intelligence, and other high-ranking intelligence officials. The Saudi official said General Assiri had organized the operation and that Mr. Qahtani 

So a couple guys got ‘fired’.  Kind of like the Pope ‘accepting’ Cardinal’s resignations. 

this man went in to get approval for his wedding. The people he met with beheaded and dismembered him with a bone saw. Why would he be looking for a fight if he wanted approval for a marriage? Why would he have gone alone if he even so much as expected any kind of “fight”? Why would any sane, normal person have a bone saw at hand? Why would any sane, normal people try to cover up a fight - where physical evidence could have corroborated a head injury or fight-type injuries- by dismembering the body? The only thing less believable than this story was the first time they tried with “oh, he actually walked out of there”. Or maybe they should have said he “fell” , yes and was accidentally beheaded.

Where is this man’s body? That’s what I’d be demanding if it were up to me. 

This is absolutely horrific that the United States, via the monster we have as our President, will allow this to go unpunished.

Red_Barchetta said:

GL2 said:

Saudi state media reported that Saud al-Qahtani, a close aide to the crown prince, had been dismissed, along with Maj. Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri, the deputy director of Saudi intelligence, and other high-ranking intelligence officials. The Saudi official said General Assiri had organized the operation and that Mr. Qahtani 
 So a couple guys got ‘fired’.  Kind of like the Pope ‘accepting’ Cardinal’s resignations. 

Yeah. Arabia is pretty rigid about murder. The punishment being beheaded.

When we should be seeing heads roll instead of 'retirements.'

ridski said:
 FFS, guys, give it a rest.

You mean don't respond to idiots and hope normalcy will prevail? Like we did in 2016?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.