Getting My Rona Vaccine. Essex County

sbenois said:

It's rare but does happen.

Nothing to worry about.

i had a big reaction to the second shot -- Headache like the first shot but woke up Saturday morning with a lot of nausea (got the shot on Friday). perfectly fine this morning (arm is still sore)

cramer said:

I had no side effects after the second shot. 

I'm jealous. 

As others have previously noted, I'll add my voice of experience to say that the 2nd shot (which we got yesterday morning) has been a little rough in it's effect. Starting last night, -muscle aches (I feel like I've been rolled down a stony hill) weird chills (which thankfully are already gone) and also my mind wouldn't let me rest to sleep. It felt like it was on constant alert up in the watchtower. In other words -did not sleep well at all.

I will say that it makes us REALLY glad that these symptoms will be very short-lived and that we have not been infected with the actual virus unlike a very good friend of mine who almost died and I fear could likely be one of the "long-haulers".  

Also I'm grouchy! (although that is not unusual).

steel said:

cramer said:

I had no side effects after the second shot. 

I'm jealous. 

My wife is getting her second shot tomorrow and has been anticipating severe side effects because every person she knows (other than me) who got the second shot has had severe side effects. She has three Zoom conferences the following day and is hoping to be able to get through those. 

The second shot knocked me out.  101 fever.  Aches.  Ick

I am scheduled to get my second shot later this week.  Thank you to all of the above posters for letting me know what to expect. 

Hubster and I had our second shots on Monday. Tuesday my arm was rather sore and it felt somewhat like I had limited mobility. A few chills andI also just wanted to lay around most of the day. Hubsters reaction was stronger. His balance was poor and he felt a lack of it even when sitting. He also didn't feel like eating and was very tired. I was indifferent to his travails and just wanted to be left alone. My conclusion: (1) the two of us sick at the same time is not fun and (2) getting our shots at the same time was convenient, but not necessarily smart.

No predicting how anyone will respond.   my second shot was no worse than the first. A little fatigue. That’s it. 

I had no reaction to the first shot. About 12 hours after the 2nd shot I felt cold and sleepy. Woke up in the middle of the night hot, cold, achy, and worried that it was going to be worse. I've had a history of running high fevers so I toughed it out for about 9 hours and then gave in to a Tylenol. 7 hours later I took 2. I feel weird but a bit better and very grateful that I was able to get vaccinated. As nervous as I was, I convinced myself that this was a community effort to halt the spread of this virus and it was simply my civic duty.

Big thank you to all of the volunteers! My friend has been volunteering at K Mart but is moving to Sears tomorrow.

Zero reaction to 1st shot.

2nd shot kicked my azz. Advil helped. I expect to be back to my version of normal tomorrow morning.

EdwardAlbert said:

sbenois said:

It's rare but does happen.

Nothing to worry about.

i had a big reaction to the second shot -- Headache like the first shot but woke up Saturday morning with a lot of nausea (got the shot on Friday). perfectly fine this morning (arm is still sore)

This is totally anectdotal but most people I know have  a reaction to the 2nd Moderna vaccine that goes something like this: Chills, lowgrade fever, headache, nausea that wake you up in the middle of the night. This lasts about 24 hours and then goes away as quickly as it comes on. I would not have been at work on the day after my second vaccine but it was Saturday so I didn't have to call out sick.

I see that the county site is starting to post new appointments in just a few days as well as about two weeks out.  Is this J&J or just more Moderna?

sac said:

I see that the county site is starting to post new appointments in just a few days as well as about two weeks out.  Is this J&J or just more Moderna?

It adjusts to the number of vaccines delivered.  As supply goes up, additional slots become available.  There may also be additional slots open when appointments are canceled.

joan_crystal said:

sac said:

It adjusts to the number of vaccines delivered.  As supply goes up, additional slots become available.  There may also be additional slots open when appointments are canceled.

They posted 300-ish just now for this Thursday.  They must have gotten a new shipment.  I'm just wondering if that will be true for the next several days as I become eligible on Monday and will wait for that date to open up if it looks like that will happen.  

@sbenois - Any intel?

This morning the website was a COMPLETE disaster. The good news is that I finally got an appointment!! I am really, really happy. But my husband - who has more conditions than I do - could not. Here are my observations:

• We kept getting website unavailable errors, presumably because so many people were trying today.
  • What is worst is when you fill out the entire form, get an error page - and then have no choice but to start over from the beginning.
  • I filled out all of these forms at least five times this morning and I started counting all the clicks and noting all the problems. (Yes, I was PO'ed.)
  • There are 10 PAGES of screener questions.
    • At least one of those screeners is double-barreled, and it takes a few minutes to process what they are asking for and every single time it snagged me ("Do you work in Essex County but live in a different county?") My husband said the same, he said every single time he had to pause and think what are they asking here. 
    • Every time you answer a screener, you hit the server and risk a website unavailable error.
    • Why can't they put the screeners all on one page? That would significantly cut website traffic.
  • When you finally get to the survey asking for your personal details, some of the fields are atrociously designed.
    • E.g. you have to scroll to your date of birth, can't type it in. OK if your birthday is near the beginning of the month, harder if your birthday is near the end of the month.
    • Same for year of birth. That's a lot of scrolling. This is a barrier to people with issues that affect their hands. I would guess that the need for all this scrolling is not WCAG compliant, but I don't know enough about the innards of WCAG to say for sure.
  • My husband observed that trying to get a vaccine appointment is like trying to get a ticket for ComicCon. You have to be both very fast and very lucky. Luck you can't control, but any system that favors those with better reflexes is inherently biased against the elderly or people with certain disabilities. Exactly the people who should be prioritized for vaccines, in other words. (reaction time is correlated with age, one of the most reliable effects in psychology)

Please excuse my crankiness but I spent a lot of frustrating time this morning and I am very upset about my husband not getting his appointment (though he's not upset, just annoyed at the website).

Bear in mind I've been doing this repeatedly for weeks now. So it isn't just trying for my ComicCon ticket once, but the stress of doing it repeatedly wears you down. 

O

sac said:

They posted 300-ish just now for this Thursday.  They must have gotten a new shipment.  I'm just wondering if that will be true for the next several days as I become eligible on Monday and will wait for that date to open up if it looks like that will happen.  

@sbenois - Any intel?

More vaccine.  Cancellations.  No shows.

I wouldn't be susprised to see a bunch of 3/15 slots appear on Friday.

HatsOff said:

This morning the website was a COMPLETE disaster. The good news is that I finally got an appointment!! I am really, really happy. But my husband - who has more conditions than I do - could not. Here are my observations:

• We kept getting website unavailable errors, presumably because so many people were trying today.
  • What is worst is when you fill out the entire form, get an error page - and then have no choice but to start over from the beginning.
  • I filled out all of these forms at least five times this morning and I started counting all the clicks and noting all the problems. (Yes, I was PO'ed.)
    • At least one of those screeners is double-barreled, and it takes a few minutes to process what they are asking for and every single time it snagged me ("Do you work in Essex County but live in a different county?") My husband said the same, he said every single time he had to pause and think what are they asking here. 
    • Every time you answer a screener, you hit the server and risk a website unavailable error.
    • Why can't they put the screeners all on one page? That would significantly cut website traffic.
  • When you finally get to the survey asking for your personal details, some of the fields are atrociously designed.
    • E.g. you have to scroll to your date of birth, can't type it in. OK if your birthday is near the beginning of the month, harder if your birthday is near the end of the month.
    • Same for year of birth. That's a lot of scrolling. This is a barrier to people with issues that affect their hands. I would guess that the need for all this scrolling is not WCAG compliant, but I don't know enough about the innards of WCAG to say for sure.
  • My husband observed that trying to get a vaccine appointment is like trying to get a ticket for ComicCon. You have to be both very fast and very lucky. Luck you can't control, but any system that favors those with better reflexes is inherently biased against the elderly or people with certain disabilities. Exactly the people who should be prioritized for vaccines, in other words. (reaction time is correlated with age, one of the most reliable effects in psychology)

Please excuse my crankiness but I spent a lot of frustrating time this morning and I am very upset about my husband not getting his appointment (though he's not upset, just annoyed at the website).

Bear in mind I've been doing this repeatedly for weeks now. So it isn't just trying for my ComicCon ticket once, but the stress of doing it repeatedly wears you down. 

Have you tried calling the phone number for the call center and scheduling an appointment that way?  This is an alternative method of scheduling that has been recommended to seniors, those with processing disabilities, and those who do not have computer access.

sbenois said:

O

sac said:

@sbenois - Any intel?

If that happens, it may be a worse madhouse than today with many new eligible folk as of 3/15.

So still all Moderna?  Not that it's a problem, I just wondered if there might have been a recent infusion of more vaccine doses with the J&J approval.

Thx!

joan_crystal said:

HatsOff said:

Have you tried calling the phone number for the call center and scheduling an appointment that way?  This is an alternative method of scheduling that has been recommended to seniors, those with processing disabilities, and those who do not have computer access.

Where does one find the phone number for the call center?  I have heard reference to such a phone number, but haven't found it on the website.  And my spouse has an appointment for 3/24 and even got the followup email with the time today (even though it is still more than two weeks off), but no phone number for a call center. 

joan_crystal said:

I am on the autism spectrum and find using a phone very difficult. I sometimes tell people I am hard of hearing, and that is sort of true in that I can experience difficulty processing spoken language. But if I said that here, no doubt people would be problem solving telling me how to work around that - and it wouldn't work, because my hearing is actually OK.

Like sac I can't find the phone number anyway. And I'm all set, it's my husband who needs an appointment now. At least he's not autistic and can cope with a lot of this a lot better than I can. 

sac said:

sbenois said:

O

sac said:

@sbenois - Any intel?

If that happens, it may be a worse madhouse than today with many new eligible folk as of 3/15.

So still all Moderna?  Not that it's a problem, I just wondered if there might have been a recent infusion of more vaccine doses with the J&J approval.

Thx!

All Moderna in the sites.  J&J via the new mobile process.

HatsOff said:

joan_crystal said:

I am on the autism spectrum and find using a phone very difficult. I sometimes tell people I am hard of hearing, and that is sort of true in that I can experience difficulty processing spoken language. But if I said that here, no doubt people would be problem solving telling me how to work around that - and it wouldn't work, because my hearing is actually OK.

Like sac I can't find the phone number anyway. And I'm all set, it's my husband who needs an appointment now. At least he's not autistic and can cope with a lot of this a lot better than I can. 

Nearly four weeks ago I wrote a PM to you saying that I would help.  I even sent you my phone number.  I am still willing to do that if you like.

sac said:

Where does one find the phone number for the call center?  I have heard reference to such a phone number, but haven't found it on the website.  And my spouse has an appointment for 3/24 and even got the followup email with the time today (even though it is still more than two weeks off), but no phone number for a call center. 

HatsOff said:

An above poster has offered to help.  I suggest you take him up on his offer.  I know quite a few people who have taken advantage of such help in scheduling their vaccine appointment.   

The phone number for the call center, which is posted up thread, is 973-877-8456.

Thank you for the phone number!! (Hopefully I won't need it now.)

sbenois said:

Nearly four weeks ago I wrote a PM to you saying that I would help.  I even sent you my phone number.  I am still willing to do that if you like.

I got what I thought was a creepy pm a couple of weeks ago with a phone number in it. I didn't realize it was about this thread as there wasn't any context in it, just a phone number and a first name I didn't recognize. Sorry for misunderstanding, but  I thought it might be a sort of scam or maybe you mistook me for someone else. I considered replying in case it was the latter but the possibility of the former worried me and I thought it wisest not to engage. It did not occur to me it might be about the vaccines. 

Anyway thanks. I have an appointment now, it is my husband who does not and he can cope for himself, it is me who is upset not him. 

sbenois said:

HatsOff said:

Thank you, and thanks to Joan for posting the links (haven't looked at them yet but will). Your #2 is the best advice for me I think, though I'll give 1 a try as well. I work, and work is very busy, so continuously re-loading this page for new info isn't an option- it would be blind luck if I landed here right after a new opening is posted. I check into MOL maybe a couple times a week, more if I want a weather update but not a regular visitor here. 

For the same reason spending too much time on hold isn't an option. I haven't actually tried the phone line as I assumed the wait would be ridiculous.

I have been relying on the "available slots open" thing though and it's usually zero. But there are only a certain numbers of times a day I can keep randomly trying. But I will do as you say and not trust that number. 

Check your pm

Yes I should have probably put the context in the PM but I assumed that you had seen the response above that I posted on February 12th in response to your post.   So all I put in the PM was to please call me with my name and number.

If he still can't get an appointment, let me know.  

Hats-Kudos to you for sticking with it. I have a close family member on the spectrum and I don't think they could have managed the process (so I went ahead and took care of it for them--but not without frustration!). 

The county didn't have to staff a Phillies fan at Sears today just for me, but I appreciated it.

For eligibles looking to score an appointment for the COVID-19 vaccine but are unable to get an appointment at one of the Essex County run sites, here is the latest listing of sites in NJ offering the vaccine.  It was sent to me this morning by the Maplewood Health Department with instructions to share.

https://newjersey.github.io/vaccine-locations/NJ-COVID-19-Vaccine-Locations.pdf

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.