Flu shots 2020

I got mine at Costco on Monday. Twenty bucks, and I only had to wait about half an hour. I checked in, and they texted me when they were ready for me. Knocked out some shopping while I waited. Hate getting shots, but hate the idea of getting sick more. 

sprout said:

The Village Green posted that there will be a drive-thru Flu shot clinic at Maplewood Town Hall on Nov 11. (But doesn't say what time, and I can't find it on the Twp website)

https://villagegreennj.com/health-wellness/maplewood-drive-thru-flu-clinic-november-11/?source=newsletter

Ending soon (1-3pm today). 

Was quick, easy, and painless, even in the drizzle. 

The drive-thru was so easy, only one car ahead of me so it only took a second.

drummerboy said:

That's news to me. I thought a flu shot lasted for something like a year.

I was concerned that getting two flu shots might be harmful, but it turns out it's not.

A flu shot lasts about six months and takes about two weeks to fully take effect.  January to March is the height of the flu season.  So taking the vaccine in mid to late October is pretty much your best bet.  

Floyd said:

$25 at CVS with coupon. If you don't have a coupon ask the pharmacist to apply it anyway.

CVS on Maplewood has been out of flu shots for at least three weeks. Their online system will let you schedule an appointment, but then you get a call letting you know they are out. They don’t know when they will get more. Bummer. 

birdwatcher said:

CVS on Maplewood has been out of flu shots for at least three weeks. Their online system will let you schedule an appointment, but then you get a call letting you know they are out. They don’t know when they will get more. Bummer. 

Try other CVS locations.  Walgreens also offers the flu shot.  

Millburn CVS had flu shots as of Friday night.

what about the shingles vaccine? I hear that this one is as important as the flu vaccine. I think I'll get that one this week. 

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

what about the shingles vaccine? I hear that this one is as important as the flu vaccine. I think I'll get that one this week. 

Got it last week at Summit Medical Group during my annual.  

bub said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

Got it last week at Summit Medical Group during my annual.  

Yeah, I think I'll get it this week. 

The shingles vaccine is a two-parter. You need both to be effective. Trust me, you DO NOT want to get shingles.

Also, the flu shot for seniors is not the same as the one for younger folk. the pharmacist explained that the immune system responds less efficiently as you age, and 65+ should get the stronger version of the vaccine. 

I wanted to get the shingrix vaccine when I got my flu shot at CVS, and the pharmacist seemed to recommend separating them, even though she said getting them together was not contraindicated. I should go back now to get that one. Got shingles once. Hoping not to get it again.

My pharmacist said the same, about separating the flu and shingles shots.

And then you're supposed to wait 2-6 months between the two shingles shots, and by then it was hard to find (this was last year). I ended up getting them at different pharmacies. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.