Fall 2015 style thread: what's old is new again

I've always found that luggage tan to be very versatile. Used to have a pair of riding boots that color that I wore to death! I will look again... I found these Fryes on Amazon, I believe, but the photo there was disappointing after the one you posted above.

I think amazon and 6pm had them for the same price. Amazon offered free returns, 6pm does not.

Re: Eileen Fisher, I can't recommend the outlet in Secaucus highly enough. Large, well-stocked, and good deals! A few times a year they do a 20-percent off everything sale. Worth the 30-minute trip; I go a few times a year. Check out the Yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/eileen-fisher-secaucus

deborahg said:
Re: Eileen Fisher, I can't recommend the outlet in Secaucus highly enough. Large, well-stocked, and good deals! A few times a year they do a 20-percent off everything sale. Worth the 30-minute trip; I go a few times a year. Check out the Yelp reviews: http://www.yelp.com/biz/eileen-fisher-secaucus

Yes! I just found out about the outlet. I will make a trip this fall.

Several of you mentioned that you love your skinny jeans and boyfriend jeans, and I'm so envious. I keep trying different brands but can't find cute, comfortable jeans for my curvy bod. My backside either gets lost in too baggy jeans or smushed flat in too tight jeans. I've resigned myself to Old Navy Rockstar boot cuts. What am I missing?

JJill (don't groan) makes a slim leg boyfriend jean that is just slim enough for me without looking painted on. Worth a shot.

For me jeans almost always need a break in period. Like, I'll wear skinnies for a few hours, bend and move around to try and break them in. I've also had to try on a dozen before finding what I liked.

I think you have to try lots of brands. I'd rather spend $100 or so on a pair I love that lasts for years and years.

I also buy vintage/thrift store Levi's (men's) and distress them myself. Urban outfitters sells them like this too, but I started doing it as something fun with my daughters. We will go and try on dozens. (Having two daughters that are about the same size as I am has some negatives--they take my clothes--but the positive is that they wear my jeans and make them better. Boots, on the other hand, they destroy.)

has anyone looked at or bought Pikolinos shoes/boots I am thinking about several of their boots as reviews are great

http://www.zappos.com/pikolinos-womens-boots~2

I've admired Pikolino shoes for a long time and ordered these sandals this summer:

http://www.zappos.com/pikolinos-puerto-vallarta-655-7434-olmo

They ended up being just a little too granny-ish for me, so I returned them. But they have other styles that I think I'd love. The ones I ordered were very comfortable.

it's not the same boot, but the ones at Nordstrom are really pretty!

Different boots. Those (Kendall) have a wider ankle and are chunkier. Great sale though!

not too much has wowed me this season so far, but when I saw these pants the other day I really thought they would have a nice place in my wardrobe. I had been looking for an ankle length pair of wide pants but I think the long version will be more flattering and timeless. 

I got rid of almost all my dressier pants and had none in black (other than a pair of 16 year old black satin high waisted pants from Ann Taylor that I considered getting rid of but happen to be back in style!) , and I could think of a dozen times at least where dressier (but not satin) black pants would have been perfect to wear. 

Not sure they will fit but I can't wait to get them. 

A little off topic, but I know we have all discussed Frye boots many times and well these prices are pretty amazing on Amazon RIGHT NOW. A few models, listed below are $116 and $128 for many sizes. Use the code 20BOOTUP for an additional 20% off and you are getting a pair of Frye boot for $90+. I got a pair a couple of days ago for $91 shipped!!

FRYE Women's Melissa Button Back Zip Knee-High Boot in Grey Antique Soft Full Grain

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HVKE4A/ref=as_li_ss_sm_fb_us_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=399837&creativeASIN=B004HVKE4A&linkCode=shr&tag=kidz09b-20&linkId=SLKYMVJ5HNAOY4GN&=apparel&qid=1447450995&sr=1-2&nodeID=7141123011&keywords=frye+boots&pebp=1447450996989&perid=17Q6R2V6Z3YMX8JFH0AN

FRYE Women's Shirley Riding Plate Boot Chocolate and Redwood different sizes

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0071HKW26/ref=as_li_ss_sm_fb_us_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=213733&creative=399837&creativeASIN=B0071HKW26&linkCode=shr&tag=kidz09b-20&linkId=0073e1df4cc90fb87f0ed47d18beed2f&eywords=frye+shirley+riding+plate+boot&qid=1447449476&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

eek, I almost wish I didn't see that! 

I'm set with knee high boots but considering another pair of ankle/low boots. 

Tell me about it. I just ordered another pair in case the ones I got the other day don't work out since they have free returns. I do have a feeling I will be keeping both... Still less than a single pair... That's what I plan on telling myself.

new207040 said:
has anyone looked at or bought Pikolinos shoes/boots I am thinking about several of their boots as reviews are great http://www.zappos.com/pikolinos-womens-boots~2

I have a pair of Pikolinos and LOVE them.  They are so comfy and beautiful

deborahg said:

I do much of my clothing shopping at the EF outlet.  They are having a sample sale TODAY!  There will be a line but bargains galore ($39 items for example)

Lands End has 40% off anything for Winter - coats, boots, turtlenecks, sweaters, etc. .  Ends either today or tomorrow.  

Well, got all my boots and they may all go back. They're beautiful but the calf isn't as skinny as I need. May need to try with chunky socks. They're a little wide to wear with rolled up jeans, would look fine with skinny jeans and skirts but not sure I need that.

Do you ever go in for boot cuffs? I am seeing them in many catalogs, and they would fill in the gap nicely. Not sure if they are genuinely fashionable or rather geeky, though... I have seen patterns for lacy ones in Ravelry but not tried them yet.

I gave up trying to find boots that will be tight enough around my calves. As long as they don't look like I can fit both lets into one boot I am fine. I did once, a long time ago, found a lovely pair of BCBG boots at Saks that fit me just right. They are dressier and with a 3 inch heel. Perfect for skirt or dress. The truth is that I would not be able to wear jeans with them since they fit my calves perfectly. Have to be very careful with these. The chances of finding another pair, and i have been looking for them in black since these are brown, are slim to none LOL.

the issue with the boots I got is not the skinniness of my calves, it's that the boots (8inch shaft or 6 inch shaft) are too wide for my pants. If they were slightly narrower (the way the lace up ones I got are) they would be fine, but unless I'm wearing wide leg pants (cropped or long) or skirts the ones I got won't work.

I'm liking some newer (but classic) silhouettes this season. I do like some pants with a higher rise, which surprised me. They can be really flattering. Same with the wide leg. 

Also, one thing which I'm loving and haven't worn since the 80s in a classic pump (but in fun colors/fabrics/patterns). No platform, not chunky, but a poInty toe and 3-4 inch heel. 

I can't edit from my phone but I'm realizing this season what's old is new again. 

I broke out a pair of fitted but boot cut jeans and loved them with an extra long button down shirt and shorter sweater. I also tried a pair of ankle(ish) length gaucho/culottes type jeans with a higher rise, and although it's much different, I can see the shape lasting awhile because it is very flattering—especially in comparison to boyfriend jeans—and it has a retro feel that skinny jeans do not. 

With this crazy warm weather I've barely thought about boots, or blazers for that matter. 

I did order one piece that is very current but also retro and I'm not sure if I will be able to pull it off or of it will go back, but in pics it's stunning, and then seeing pics of the same style from the 70s AND the 50s made me want to get it that much more—although it's not my usual. Always fun to try something new. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.