Does Randolph Holder's life matter to "Black Lives Matter"?

Interesting but has nothing to do with police executions, killings in "self defense".

Not bearing witness to a crime is an ethical question.

broigus said:
It should but whether or not it is done does not change the benefit to telling what you know about criminal activity. To act in any other way is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

No it is not an "ethical question". It is an obligation to create a society where people can prosper. That anyone can give any justification to not being a good citizen by doing so is the reason that crime is an issue. If otherwise law-abiding people were not silent everyone would be safe. And there would be no need for activites that result in over policing.

broigus said:
No it is not an "ethical question". It is an obligation to create a society where people can prosper. That anyone can give any justification to not being a good citizen by doing so is the reason that crime is an issue. If otherwise law-abiding people were not silent everyone would be safe. And there would be no need for activites that result in over policing.

While I agree that people should provide the police with whatever information they may have, the above is a bit overstated.

The police cannot protect people who provide this information. And so, for many, it is a matter of doing what's right for the community vs. keeping their families safe in the near term.

If everyone did what they should and shared what they know it would be less of an issue with safety.

broigus said:
If everyone did what they should and shared what they know it would be less of an issue with safety.

In the long run. But the people who do it now may be putting themselves and their families at risk.

This is more of your "ideal world" thinking rather the the reality that many face. If "everyone did what they should," there would be no crime.

Then why don't they?

broigus said:

Which gets back to my point. All black lives do not matter to BLM. Or else they would be targeting the casue of far more deaths and Gardian Agel style protecting those who report crime and give evidence.

BLM was an outgrowth of people of authority exceeding that authority and abusing and killing in situations that didn't warrant it. It was never designed to solve all problems around violence in the black community.

broigus said:
Which gets back to my point. All black lives do not matter to BLM. Or else they would be targeting the casue of far more deaths and Gardian Agel style protecting those who report crime and give evidence.

But it is doing a good job making the other problems worse.

Activism in its early stages always seems to many, to be worsening the problem. Many said that the very same thing when Blacks demanded equal rights, when The People wanted to end the Vietnam War, when women wanted the right to vote and gays wanted the right to marry. "You're just making the matter worse" is what is said when hand wringing isn't enough.

broigus said:

I've heard that a lot.

broigus said:

broigus said:

nonsense

I think it's worth noting that this is bigger than questions of how police interact with communities in high-crime neighborhoods. Over the last several years, the high profile incidents that have sparked BLM - and public attention in general, beyond people involved in BLM include:

- a harvard professor arrested in front of his own hom

- an 11 year old boy shot in the head

- a woman violently arrested on a highway and thrown in a cell for three days, until she killed herself

- a man shot by police as he waited for roadside assistance

and on and on.

There's an, I think understandable, impulse to downplay the racial component here. It's profoundly uncomfortable to face our county's ugly history here, to admit that it's still an issue, to have one of our society's gravest shortcoming pointed out to us. It's easier to deflect this into questions of class, or poverty (and ignore the racial history behind questions of class and poverty). It's easier to focus on BLM and attack the messenger, rather than acknowledge the message. But I think we lie to ourselves in doing so, and so fail ourselves, and of course fail our fellow citizens who don't have the luxury of pretending race isn't part of this.

bramzzoinks said:
Where there is no objective truth there can be no lie. So all that is possible is disagreement. But the left hates disagreement since they want total subservience to their line of the day, which they will change periodically so they can purge the unfaithful.

Delusional.

Are we still blaming Gliniewicz’s death on BLM? Does his death "matter" to anyone on the right anymore?

dave23 said:
Are we still blaming Gliniewicz’s death on BLM? Does his death "matter" to anyone on the right anymore?

The story seems to have disappeared from FOX news. I wonder why? Don't they care?

So Baltimore has 300 homicides for the first time since 1998.  So many more lives that do not matter to blm because they have achieved their real goal of destroying policing. 

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-85036216/

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.