Dennis and Judy off 101.5 Called N.J. Attorney General, "Turban Man."

unicorn33 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

unicorn33 said:

The point is that ignorance needs to be dealt with education, not name calling. 
The point here, as I see it, is that it’s one thing to be willing to listen and learn when you believe the “other” poses no threat. It’s another when you’re fearful and feel that another’s progess will only set you back. That’s ignorance from a deeper well and doesn’t just give way to education.
 What's the alternative to education or at least an attempt at education? 

The alternative is taking a long, hard look at yourself and deciding that you are going to commit to seeing the world as a place inhabited by many different people.  The alternative is deciding that you are going to be empathetic, curious and inquisitive about things other than just what interests you or advances your personal goals and that you are going to assign a value to those things.  

The alternative is to work hard at removing yourself from being the center of ALL things, not assuming that what you think or feel is the only way to think or feel and not assuming that maintaining your comfort is everyone else's job.  The alternative is self-improvement that doesn't require millions of other people to stop what they're doing to explain the world to you and to remind you that they exist.  

The alternative is doing some work on yourself by yourself.

ml1 said:

Fwiw, the discussions on MOL have really led to my rethinking a lot of my ideas about race and racism.  The people of color who come to this board and relate their experiences and their thoughts and expectations have had much more influence on me than hearing white people apologize or explain themselves.  If I've learned anything here, I think it's that white people should talk less about race and prejudice and listen more.

In other words, while listening, less “I hear you and share your concerns” or “Yes, but have you considered ...?” and more “Goddamn. I’d better think about that.”

And as if on cue —

Is calling someone "Underpants Man" offensive?

just my two cents, but I thought this was the really offensive part:

"I'm never gonna know his name. I'm just gonna say the guy with the turban," Malloy said. "Listen, and if that offends you then don't wear the turban and maybe I'll remember your name."

it was the refusal to even learn Grewal's name. I doubt one joking reference to "turban man" would have raised as much fuss.

lord_pabulum said:
Is calling someone "Underpants Man" offensive?

If you're talking about Robert Plant, yes.

flimbro said:

unicorn33 said:

DaveSchmidt said:

unicorn33 said:

The point is that ignorance needs to be dealt with education, not name calling. 
The point here, as I see it, is that it’s one thing to be willing to listen and learn when you believe the “other” poses no threat. It’s another when you’re fearful and feel that another’s progess will only set you back. That’s ignorance from a deeper well and doesn’t just give way to education.
 What's the alternative to education or at least an attempt at education? 
The alternative is taking a long, hard look at yourself and deciding that you are going to commit to seeing the world as a place inhabited by many different people.  The alternative is deciding that you are going to be empathetic, curious and inquisitive about things other than just what interests you or advances your personal goals and that you are going to assign a value to those things.  
The alternative is to work hard at removing yourself from being the center of ALL things, not assuming that what you think or feel is the only way to think or feel and not assuming that maintaining your comfort is everyone else's job.  The alternative is self-improvement that doesn't require millions of other people to stop what they're doing to explain the world to you and to remind you that they exist.  
The alternative is doing some work on yourself by yourself.

That's not an alternative to education; that's its goal.

unicorn33 said:

yahooyahoo said:

cubby said:

flimbro said:

mjc said:
I would love to see a (moderated?) discussion between the DJs and the AG, maybe looking for common ground, a la the professor and the cop hosted by Obama, or one of Brian Lehrer's shows.  I can dream.
I don't get the have-them-talk-it-out thing.
And what exactly are they going to 'discuss'? What's to debate? What common ground needs to be identified? The DJs are at fault- period. There is no need for the AG to respond or present "his side". He's a Sikh and he wears a turban- end of discussion. There really aren't two sides here.
Pretending that there is some greater truth to tease out by having two ignorant people talk to this man is insulting to him and ultimately gives deference to two knuckleheads. 
 Exactly this. These people are racist dirtbags (despite their "apolgies.") No discussion to be had.
 I agree.  Having a forum further legitimizes their statements, it implies that they may be okay rather than outright racist.
Don't give them the forum to try and explain away their comments.  
 So, rather than try to educate an ignorant person or create a teachable moment for others, let's just call the person names and dismiss them? I truly don't understand this attitude.
Back in the 70s, when NOW first gained widespread publicity, many men (myself included) didn't fully understand some of what they were saying. By today's standards, we would have been classified as "sexist." However, many men (myself once again included) listened and learned, and our thinking changed.
When you dismiss people out of hand and just call them names, you're not doing anyone any good. 

101.5 can have a forum with the AG, but why let the DJs get on stage and try to justify their comments.  They don't need to be included. 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.