COVID-19

Sloan Street parking lot at 6:45 pm today:

mrincredible said:

Sloan Street parking lot at 6:45 pm today:

You don't mess around with Sheena.  

Seriously, she has been doing an excellent job of communicating with the residents. If anybody hasn't done so, sign up for the alerts on the Village website. 

http://www.southorange.org/610/SO-Alerts

call it the Trump virus

Dr Birx, whom I believe impresses all with her calm, articulate, unscripted comments, stated at today’s press conference that the virus originated in  China. So, the unknown virus came to carry the name of its country of origin. It, of course, was evidently renamed COVID-19.

mtierney said:

Dr Birx, whom I believe impresses all with her calm, articulate, unscripted comments, stated at today’s press conference that the virus originated in  China. So, the unknown virus came to carry the name of its country of origin. It, of course, was evidently renamed COVID-19.

The media made up names as a convenience in presenting the virus to the public.

The media made up names are like the names given by hospitals to babies who have not yet been named by their parents. They will "name" the baby Babygirl Tierney or Babyboy Tierney. For Trump to use "China Virus' would be as if someone continued referring to your child as Babygirl Tierney after you have given her a name. To do it on purpose is loutish.

In February WHO assigned to official name COVID-19.

COVID-19 follows the WHO standard naming convention established I believe in 2015. Its named after it is presented and identified as a unique new disease.

COVID-19

"CO" - Corona

"VI" - Virus

"D" - Disease

19 - Year the disease presented to the world

The ignorant still refer to the disease as the “Wuhan coronavirus,” or “Chinese coronavirus.”

While the photo of the parking lot in SO is disturbing on so many levels, it’s wonderful that people are taking the lockdown seriously. Well, except for people in Lakewood. Where police broke up yet another wedding today. And in Ocean City, where people refused to leave the closed boardwalk, telling police that they pay taxes, therefore no one can tell then where and where not to walk. 

BG9 said:

mtierney said:

The media made up names as a convenience in presenting the virus to the public.

The media made up names are like the names given by hospitals to babies who have not yet been named by their parents. They will "name" the baby Babygirl Tierney or Babyboy Tierney. For Trump to use "China Virus' would be as if someone continued referring to your child as Babygirl Tierney after you have given her a name. To do it on purpose is loutish.

In February WHO assigned to official name COVID-19.

COVID-19 follows the WHO standard naming convention established I believe in 2015. Its named after it is presented and identified as a unique new disease.

COVID-19

"CO" - Corona

"VI" - Virus

"D" - Disease

19 - Year the disease presented to the world

The ignorant still refer to the disease as the “Wuhan coronavirus,” or “Chinese coronavirus.”

To be very precise, as outlined here and determined by WHO guidelines, covid-19 is the disease. SARS CoV-2 is the virus. Perhaps the virus name is too long or confusing for some people?? Or they just don’t ‘get’ common parlance?

Remember when we were discussing other critters you could catch such things from, but haven’t yet - such as aardvarks?

Heynj said:

While the photo of the parking lot in SO is disturbing on so many levels, it’s wonderful that people are taking the lockdown seriously. Well, except for people in Lakewood. Where police broke up yet another wedding today. And in Ocean City, where people refused to leave the closed boardwalk, telling police that they pay taxes, therefore no one can tell then where and where not to walk. 

I did not witness it personally but on FB someone said that there was a line to get into Cold Stone

One unfortunate aspect of this is how long it seems to take for symptoms to resolve, even among the vast majority of cases labeled "mild."  When you look at the stats, the "recovered" category is such a bottle neck.  The number of reported recoveries is infinitesimal compared to the number of active cases. 

I was on the phone with a colleague yesterday who seems to have it along with his girlfriend.  Not terrible cases and both definitely on the way to better health, but its been 2 plus weeks and neither is completely symptom free.  For psychological and practical reasons, we want large number of people coming out on the other side of this but its real slow.

terp said:

STANV said:

Of course the irony is that it's Rand Paul the most Libertarian member of Congress.

This is, of course, factually incorrect.

STANV said:

Come to think of it, it's actually the opposite of what Terp thinks. It's only through government action that "ordinary" people can get access to any testing or treatment. The Corona Virus is proof of the folly of Libertarian thinking.

How do you figure?  And specifically, why is the Federal government the only entity capable of providing access to testing or treatment?

Ok, so to nitpick, Rand Paul is one of the most Libertarian Members. I believe your award may go to a Congressman from Kentucky whose name I believe is Massie.

I did not say "Federal" government. I meant the States and Cities as well.

However only the President can order private businesses to produce tests, masks, ventilators. Of course that would be an anathema to you and those who share your ideology.

Do you believe that any level of government has a role to play in addressing the pandemic and, if so, what role? 

bub said:

One unfortunate aspect of this is how long it seems to take for symptoms to resolve, even among the vast majority of cases labeled "mild."  When you look at the stats, the "recovered" category is such a bottle neck.  The number of reported recoveries is infinitesimal compared to the number of active cases. 

I was on the phone with a colleague yesterday who seems to have it along with his girlfriend.  Not terrible cases and both definitely on the way to better health, but its been 2 plus weeks and neither is completely symptom free.  For psychological and practical reasons, we want large number of people coming out on the other side of this but its real slow.

Where are you seeing numbers of recovered cases?  I've looked (not extensively) but haven't seen it.  A friend/colleague of mine is now considered to be recovered and was released from isolation earlier this week (which was about two weeks after he became symptomatic).

Underhill field appears to be completely shutdown.

Steve said:

bub said:

Where are you seeing numbers of recovered cases?  I've looked (not extensively) but haven't seen it.  A friend/colleague of mine is now considered to be recovered and was released from isolation earlier this week (which was about two weeks after he became symptomatic).

On the Worldometers site, which had become increasingly popular:  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

In addition to what triggers an official designation of recovered, there' the problem of people who go through it at home and don't get counted, at least not all the time.  Tomcat appears to have been a very early case, for example.  Was he counted?  My friend and his girlfriend stayed at home. If they were never tested for the virus or antibodies, who's going to officially declare that they had it and recovered?

Have they closed gates and roped off Underhill? I feel sorry for the lap runners who love that track. And already social distanced even before we were all using the phrase. 

is Underhill going through any kind if field rehab? It's the perfect time to let that grass thicken up.

Heynj said:

Have they closed gates and roped off Underhill? I feel sorry for the lap runners who love that track. And already social distanced even before we were all using the phrase. 

Yes...the pedestrian gate is padlocked as are all the other gates leading onto the field.

To mrincredible, I don’t believe there is grass on Underhill. I’m pretty sure it’s turf. 
While I understand maybe they had a problem with groups/teams (without coaches) gathering, it’s a shame if a few ruined it and required closure for all. Though understandable for public safety. Other local towns still have fields/tracks open, and at two I’ve seen, people were distancing. At least when I’ve passed. What a shame to have to limit public recreation facilities just when the weather gets gorgeous. Tracks are so safe for walking, when you don’t have to give vehicular traffic a thought. Like boardwalks...which are also closing. 

Heynj said:

To mrincredible, I don’t believe there is grass on Underhill. I’m pretty sure it’s turf. 
While I understand maybe they had a problem with groups/teams (without coaches) gathering, it’s a shame if a few ruined it and required closure for all. Though understandable for public safety. Other local towns still have fields/tracks open, and at two I’ve seen, people were distancing. At least when I’ve passed. What a shame to have to limit public recreation facilities just when the weather gets gorgeous. Tracks are so safe for walking, when you don’t have to give vehicular traffic a thought. Like boardwalks...which are also closing. 

The baseball fields are grass. Football and Lacrosse fields are turf. 

Now I remember the whole turf vs grass thing.

I almost wish they would stop sharing specific treatments which have shown to be promising. There will be people who show up to their doctors demanding plasma transfusions and chloroquine prescriptions at the slightest symptom or because someone coughed withing 10 feet. 

I'm thrilled to be seeing lots of progress in working out how to treat this illness. But the flip side of these news items is that people grab on to a potential miracle cure that may do nothing.

In NJ, mortgage payment grace period starting April 1.  

I do understand why things start on the first on the month, esp when it’s a financial matter, but I do wish it wasn’t on April Fools Day. Sigh. 

nohero said:

In NJ, mortgage payment grace period starting April 1.  

If you qualify. So far, the rest of us have to keep paying our mortgages.

ETA: not trying to sound unappreciative or mean, I’m just saying that it doesn’t apply to everyone, so check to see if you qualify.

Not sure this is 100% true but it seems like the rapid growth of cases is due more to geographic expansion than a rapid rise in cases to a large percentage of the population in any one location.  For example, I read this morning that New Rochelle, which was on of our early nasty hot spots, has flattened its local curve and still has only 312 confirmed cases as of yesterday (it has a population of 79,000).  The number of cases in Bergamo Italy, the worst hit town there, is about 5% of the local population (hardly small but not 40-70% of the population either).

Two interesting things I picked up.

I turned on my Waze app to find an address in town. I was greeted with this message:

The other one was related to the Google Assistant on my (superior) Android phone. You can say "Ok Google, sing me a song" and the assistant will sing one of a few short silly songs. So I'll use this in my house when I cant remember where I've put my phone down.

Today when i did that the Assistant sang a song about washing my hands five times a day that was forty seconds long. It was pretty humourous but a good reminder.

Through yesterday, the daily new case trend in recent days in all of the big Euro countries, including Italy, is down.  Don't know where its going but I'm always happy when I get up, sign in and don't see a gigantic daily case spike in one of these countries.  

mrincredible said:

Today when i did that the Assistant sang a song about washing my hands five times a day that was forty seconds long. It was pretty humourous but a good reminder.

Was that to the tune of "Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)"? 

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Help Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!