Cait and abbys refuses to toast bagels!

I have been searching for the best vanilla buttercream in the land. A light, buttery, true vanilla with not a big sugary taste. What I find instead is very sweet, very thick buttercream.

OLD threads never die. Six years later and toasted bagels are still a "thing"

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/193456/the-no-toasting-policy-at-murrays-bagels-is-toast?utm_source=tabletmagazinelist&utm_campaign=ddd79777d1-Wednesday_September_16_20159_16_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c308bf8edb-ddd79777d1-185263845

For nearly two decades, Murray’s Bagels in New York has enforced a no-toasting policy
when it comes to their bagels, because, well, they’re fine and
delicious as they are. But it appears that the invisible hand of the
market has finally given the company a slap on the face, prompting
management to rescind its steadfast rule because, apparently, the
customer wants what the customer wants. The decision came in the form of
a tweet from Murray’s Bagels, stating:

Murray’s Bagels will now toast. Although we still firmly
believe that a hand-rolled, kettle-boiled, fresh Murray’s Bagel is
superb, our customer’s satisfaction is paramount to us. We will now
toast bagels upon request and hope that everyone will enjoy New York’s
best bagels any way they choose.

I'm sure there are still bagel makers in Kentucky who will refuse to toast bagels for customers on the basis that it makes God cry. smile

Cait and Abby's now has a toaster - has anyone asked them recently to toast a bagel?

They asked if I'd like my bagel toasted a couple of weeks ago.

Re Kentucky: I received a Facebook post: "all of Kentucky is not with Kim Davis

gerryl said:

Re Kentucky: I received a Facebook post: "all of Kentucky is not with Kim Davis

Of course they are not all with her... but the most vocal ones are enjoying their 15 minutes of fame.

BTW, I don't think the additions to the thread were intended as a continuation of the original complaint, but rather observations on a spreading trend. Or, in my case, sheer irrelevant irreverence. smile

After we moved here in Feb it took us a while to figure out why all of the egg and cheese sandwiches we'd get over here were sub-par. We eventually figured out that we had to explicitly ask for the bagel to be toasted. While I can get the 'don't toast' if you're putting cream cheese on it and it's fresh and warm, if you're making a hot sandwich you really need to have it at least slightly toasted to prevent moisture making it into the bagel itself. It's science people!

drummerboy said:
I beg to differ:

"if thoust bagel requires toasting, it is either of poor craft or is aged beyond its shelf life"

(Lender 7:11)

Thine bagel....

Lender's was the reason people had to start toasting bagels in the first place. Lender is the antichrist.

bramzzoinks said:
Lender's was the reason people had to start toasting bagels in the first place. Lender is the antichrist.

Not sure being the 'anti-Christ' is the biggest concern of many bagel makers?

I absolutely agree that it has to do with poor quality or staleness, but getting a really good, fresh bagel is a rare enough occasion that many of us get into the habit of always asking for them to be toasted. And qrysdonnell is right... if you don't toast the bagel and have a breakfast sandwich on it, it is likely to get soggily unpleasant. Of course, purists won't want to make a bagel into a sandwich either, right? Tricky business.

PeggyC said:
I absolutely agree that it has to do with poor quality or staleness, but getting a really good, fresh bagel is a rare enough occasion that many of us get into the habit of always asking for them to be toasted. And qrysdonnell is right... if you don't toast the bagel and have a breakfast sandwich on it, it is likely to get soggily unpleasant. Of course, purists won't want to make a bagel into a sandwich either, right? Tricky business.

Just wait until they see me make pizza bagels with them!

Bagels Abroad will do egg and cheese toasted or plain. I used to never have them toasted. That seemed fine to me. I used to prefer the tighter, slightly chewier, less humongous bagels that C and A sold.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.