Cait and abbys refuses to toast bagels!

oots - exactly!!!! :-D

toasting pumperknickel is something I can't imagine, because to me pumperknickel is thin hard and black, slightly sour. Vollkornbrot, on the other hand, which is a deep dark and delicious kind of nutty rye - now that you can toast whenever. Bagels you can toast, or not - but they should be boiled before baking. And over here that isn't always the case.

Murray's makes very good bagels.

I don't care if anyone wants to toast a bagel, its just that everyone should be aware that that is not how they were originally meant to be eaten.

Good bagels are delicious when fresh out of the oven. Older ones need to be toasted. No apologies.

Not only am I entitled to a toasted bagel, I demand it.

Meat and fish were eaten raw during the cave man days. Now we eat burgers and fish sticks. That pretty much clamps shut the "how they were originally meant to be" argument. A bagel should always be toasted. Construction workers usually eat their bagels raw but that's because they don't have access to toasters on the job.

We all know that when you drop a piece of buttered toast on the floor, it ALWAYS lands buttered side down.

I was buttering a piece of toast once and it fell on the floor buttered side up! I was astounded by this change in the order of things.

So I went to the Rabbi and asked him, "why, when G-d declared that bread always fall buttered side down, did my piece of toast fall buttered side up?"

The Rabbi put his fingers to his chin thought and thought. Finally, after a few minutes, he picked his head up and said "Aha! You buttered the wrong side!"

shoxie said:

H&H on the UWS in the city doesn't toast bagels or even put anything on them. You're free to purchase a container of one of the toppings (cream cheeses, butter, jam, etc.) which they carry in large refrigerated units at the front of the store, but that's as far as they'll go. Absolute Bagels (also on the Upper UWS) which I sorely miss and adore never toasted bagels either - they did have toppings, but there just wasn't time for toasting. There would be huge lines out the door in the a.m. I also think they just didn't want to bother. At first, I was annoyed because I was used to getting a (bad) bagel toasted at the deli place where I worked, but Absolute's bagels were (and are) so good, that toasting would've ruined them! Same goes for H&H although I prefer Absolute.

I'd just go elsewhere if you want a toasted bagel, or if the coffee's more important, give up on toasting, unfortunately. I never even noticed that C&A sold bagels. I wonder if they make their own or purchase them from another store...

I actually have lived 3 blocks from Absolute Bagels for almost 2 years now and have never been. But then I saw a friend eating one of their egg bagels with cream cheese and I almost fainted it looked so good. So I'm thinking I might go there tomorrow morning for a maiden voyage. Hope that doesn't make you jealous, but your post has spurred me to finally try the place.

BabFab said:

Additionally, I believe the 17th century sage, Rabbi Koogle Schmeerstein also wrote that you are entitled to ask what exactly is in the chopped liver and also to say no "thank you" to any gefilte fish that isn't home made, like your grand mother's.

grin) grin)

"Aha! You buttered the wrong side!"

Still not working for me.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I enjoyed it!

To all my mishpooka...Sonny's Bagels IS open tomorrow (what a shonda)

Great way to break a fast (which I will be doing on Sunday brunch..don't ask!)
I know somebody was asking about that somewhere here.

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I laughed, BTW.

Reminded me of the old saying: Toast always lands butter side down. Cats always land on their feet. Paradox is when you tape toast butter side up to the back of cat.

drummerboy said:

I still think it's a blaspheme to toast a fresh bagel. It like baking a fresh loaf of bread, cutting off a slice, and popping it in the toaster.

You want to toast a bagel, buy Lenders.

cretins.

More like "it's like", or "it is like" DB. Sorry, had to point that out after all of your grammar call outs on other posts.

Back on topic, toasted bagels? Yuck.

As a non-Maplewoodian but someone who has patronized Cait and Abby, aren't they sort of a gentile-y sort of bakery in the middle of a community with many, many non-gentile-y and a few still gentile-y sort of people? It's a cultural thing. Culture clash, Maplewood style. They have a right to refuse to toast bagels, but we have a right to ask! No need to be snotty about it! Mmm-toasted bagels are nice and crunchy and the butter melts on them so well and you can have lox on them, or jam. But if C and A wants to stay true to its gentile-y style, let them! There's a charm in that, as long as it isn't self-righteous (true of the other side, also.)

Sheltiemum3 said:

I make fresh bread by hand and I toast it. I would never get a bagel that isn't toasted. That would be like eating Wonderbread out of the bag.

Why would anyone eat Wonderbread, toasted or not?

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I laughed, BTW.

Reminded me of the old saying: Toast always lands butter side down. Cats always land on their feet. Paradox is when you tape toast butter side up to the back of cat.

the original anti-gravity device.

Well, as a kid growing up in Michigan Wonder Bread was all I got but we had fun making Communion "hosts" out of them at lunch time and playing church (don't tell my monsignor.. ha ha!).

Yes, but bagels taste good without being toasted. Wonderbread... Feh... cheese

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I laughed, BTW.

Doesn't that make the cat explode?

Ah, Boomie, is this the thread you were referring to in the other one on bagels? This isn't the one I was talking about, but it doesn't matter.

PeggyC said:

ridski said:

The_Soulful_Mr_T said:

I laughed, BTW.

Doesn't that make the cat explode?

No. But it does make it very difficult to get them into the litter box.

No Peggy, I was actually looking for mine, about blueberry bagels and the rallying cries of A SHONDA. But I can't find it.

Oh, I remember that one, too. Someone who is feeling really strong should tally the threads about bagels and shondas one of these days... oh oh

And make a graph or something pretty.

Dave, Jamie? Buehler? Can we have a new discussion category named First World Problems?

Here ya go, @boomie.

http://forum.maplewoodonline.com/discussion/54576/not-to-beat-a-hand-rolled-bagel-but.../p1

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!