Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

Soul_29 said:

ridski said:

Soul_29 said:

joanne said:

John Geils, of Centrefold fame....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/201...

J. Geils will be spinning in his grave if Centerfold is part of his obit ...

Probably shouldn't have written or released it then.

Didn't write it and things like that are why bands break-up ...

I wasn't really talking about him specifically writing it (and I knew you were going to call me out on that!) as he only wrote, what, 2 songs out of all those albums? But his name's on the band and it's their biggest hit, which may have brought them a wider fan base. It's not a good song in hindsight, but at the time it probably paid off his mortgage.

Just in case my future biographer is reading this: There are many things I do to pay the mortgage that'd make me spin in my grave if they appeared in my obit. Please choose wisely.

oh man

Cuba Gooding Sr. has transitioned. He's Cuba Jr.'s daddy, the lead singer of The Main Ingredient and possessor of one of the finest voices in R&B. His big hit is "Everybody Plays The Fool" but I really liked "Happiness Is Just Around The Bend" for the amazing strings and lush arrangement popular in 1974 era soul music. 

man I'm old

Old enough to remember when you could bliss out to the Main Ingredient, the Five Stairsteps and the Undisputed Truth in the same hour, on the same station, with Neil Young and the Carpenters.

Liked Charlie Murphy.  Just catching up with that one.  Sad.

One year ago today. Quote courtesy of Van Jones.

Erin Moran, Joanie on Happy Days.

Aaron Hernandez, age 27, Patriots tight end, and murderer.

Robert Pirsig. 

LOL Although, 88 is a good age, and he was a great storyteller with a relaxed philosophy...a good teacher. 

Director Jonathan Demme

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/26/...   -Silence of the Lambs  scared the **** out of me...

will we have anyone with old-school talent and creativity, and the drive to complete a project for public  enjoyment, left??

Sigh. 

RIP

annielou said:

Director Jonathan Demme

Bruce Lansbury, Ron Glass, and Sheri S. Tepper (2016)

Sorry to hear about Jonathan Demme.  Others have noted his unmatched ear for putting the perfect music, and his favorite bands, behind and in his movies.  Something Wild wouldn't have grabbed you from the start without David Byrne and Celia Cruz providing the soundtrack to his wonderful NYC montage.  The Feelies showing up as HS reunion band "The Willies" gave those few of us who were fans already an added thrill.  

And I totally agree Stop Making Sense is the best live rock movie ever.  As others note, it really isn't a concert film, as the audience doesn't make itself known till the end, but Demme turned TH from caricatures to real people.  Having seen TH on the Stop Making Sense tour the month before filming merely confirmed the unparalleled job Demme did in translating the feeling of being thee to film.

I was lucky enough to see Jonathan Demme at Radio LoveFest in 2014.  Brian Lehrer hosted Demme at a screening of Stop Making Sense at BAM.  R.I.P.

Chris Cornell: One of the best rock vocalists:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music...

When I got this on alert, I was stunned. Just WOW. 

cuethesun said:

Very sad about this. His version of Nothing Compares 2U almost brings me to tears....

From Dan Rather...

Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes died today at the age of 77. We don't have a lot of details yet, but the Drudge Report published this statement from Elizabeth Ailes:

"I am profoundly sad and heartbroken to report that my husband, Roger Ailes, passed away this morning. Roger was a loving husband to me, to his son Zachary, and a loyal friend to many. He was also a patriot, profoundly grateful to live in a country that gave him so much opportunity to work hard, to rise—and to give back. During a career that stretched over more than five decades, his work in entertainment, in politics, and in news affected the lives of many millions. And so even as we mourn his death, we celebrate his life... "

Too many ways to go with this news...but I'll be respectful.

librarylady said:

From Dan Rather...

Former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes died today at the age of 77. We don't have a lot of details yet, but the Drudge Report published this statement from Elizabeth Ailes:

"I am profoundly sad and heartbroken to report that my husband, Roger Ailes, passed away this morning. Roger was a loving husband to me, to his son Zachary, and a loyal friend to many. He was also a patriot, profoundly grateful to live in a country that gave him so much opportunity to work hard, to rise—and to give back. During a career that stretched over more than five decades, his work in entertainment, in politics, and in news affected the lives of many millions. And so even as we mourn his death, we celebrate his life... "

Every once in a while I feel the need to stream "Hunger Strike."  Will do so now.

kibbegirl said:

When I got this on alert, I was stunned. Just WOW. 
cuethesun said:

Cornell was one of the best ever. Not a huge fan of the screamier segments, but he was unique in many ways, and prolific. I was impressed that he still had his powerful chops in place after all those years -- only other I can think of in that sphere would be Paul Rogers. I think Cornell was clean & sober too. So sad.

ruled a suicide.  finally blew up the outside world.  

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.