Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

librarylady said:

Now here is a piece of trivia no one needs to know...Heimlich is the uncle of Anson Williams, who is known for his portrayal of Warren "Potsie" Weber on the 70s hit TV show Happy Days.[9

The Fraternal Organization of Nitpickers for Zero Internet Errors informs me that Dr. Heimlich was in fact a cousin of Mr. Williams, who affectionatlely called him Uncle.

DaveSchmidt said:

librarylady said:

Now here is a piece of trivia no one needs to know...Heimlich is the uncle of Anson Williams, who is known for his portrayal of Warren "Potsie" Weber on the 70s hit TV show Happy Days.[9

The Fraternal Organization of Nitpickers for Zero Internet Errors informs me that Dr. Heimlich was in fact a cousin of Mr. Williams, who affectionatlely called him Uncle.

I am the one person who attempts to never to post on the Internet any inaccuracies I note your correction and gratefully appreciate it

librarylady said:

DaveSchmidt said:

librarylady said:

I am the one person who attempts to never to post on the Internet any inaccuracies I note your correction and gratefully appreciate it

Which reminds me of...

Wow. Didn't realize she was still around!

The Gabor sisters were the first "Kardashians". I believe she must have been the last one to go.

well, to be fair, there were other glamorous and talented sisters, on both stage and screen. cheese You could read about them all in the women's and the movie fans' magazines. But yeah, the Gabor sisters' lives were followed well after they retired.

librarylady said:

DaveSchmidt said:

librarylady said:

FONZIE says question

joanne said:

well, to be fair, there were other glamorous and talented sisters, on both stage and screen. cheese You could read about them all in the women's and the movie fans' magazines. But yeah, the Gabor sisters' lives were followed well after they retired.

I think the point is around "talented". The Kardashian comparison is because they are famous just for being famous - no talent involved. I dot know the Gabor sisters well but it is said to be the same- famous socialites lacking talent, famous for just being glamorous and well- discussed in the tabloids.

conandrob240 said:

I dot know the Gabor sisters well but it is said to be the same- famous socialites lacking talent, famous for just being glamorous and well- discussed in the tabloids.

Perhaps you were not a fan of Green Acres (Eva gabor) or any of Zas Zsa movies.(her Moulin Rouge performance was well received But I just loved her quotes..

Zsa Zsa Gábor/Quotes
I never hated a man enough to give him his diamonds back.

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man, I keep his house.

A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished.

Getting divorced just because you don't love a man is almost as silly as getting married just because you do.

I want a man who's kind and understanding. Is that too much to ask of a millionaire?

Macho does not prove mucho.

How many husbands have I had? You mean apart from my own?

One of my theories is that men love with their eyes; women love with their ears.

I know nothing about sex, because I was always married.

I don't remember anybody's name. How do you think the ``dahling'' thing got started

I said I was not at all familiar with their work but the statements I have read said that they were equated to the Kardashian sisters because they were famous for the glamour and gossip not for their talent. I have no idea if that is true or not. I can't say I have ever seen anything other than a tabloid photo of a Gabor.

I think it is fair to compare the Gabor sisters to the Kardashian. Zsa Zsa had some limited early success but after that they were primarily famous for being famous. Eva was cast in Green Acres primarily because she was a Gabor and played her persona in the role. Zsa Zsa as noted did develop a real talent for quips that kept her famous for being a Gabor.

But I would say they managed the role of being famous for being famous with more style and class than the Kardashians. We live in a more vulgar time.

Actually, they were known pre-USA for acting and singing, and probably would have fared better if wars and other inconveniences hadn't got in the way. Being forced to move and make their way in a sexist world, they made the most of their novelty value in the USA and went from there.*

You'll find similar stories with other pretty blondes (it's more prominent among blondes, for some reason) of their generation, and yes, with other famous sister acts whose fame burned brightly until children came along.

*I remember reading an academic paper that looked at the effort it took for one of them -Eva? - to book the deals and connections for them all that she did in the 50s and after, and that it indicated astounding business sense. Men were attracted to them because they could talk intelligently about business and trade, not just because they were pretty and exotic. They spoke several languages. At least one was a Hungarian romantic version of Marelene Dietrich... So, not really 'Kardashian'.

I saw her "Prince" husband say she had a leg amputated and she didn't know for years because he didn't tell her. How the hell do you not notice that you're missing a leg?

mumstheword said:

I saw her "Prince" husband say she had a leg amputated and she didn't know for years because he didn't tell her. How the hell do you not notice that you're missing a leg?

She was on life support and in a coma for at least 5 years. Don't she knew much about anything.

Wow, pretty insensitive. She was probably very, very ill or maybe suffering from extreme dementia.

mumstheword said:

The Gabors were fun girls with colorful lives. I remember them well as they made their way through the early talk show circuit. Zsa Zsa would be the first to not take herself seriously. Other beauties of that era (Sophia comes to mind) also overcame sexism and war but went on to become mega talents. The Gabor sisters were not in that league nor pretended to be. So yes, the direct predecessors of the Kardashians.

annielou, with the greatest respect, find someone who understands Hungarian and track down the pre-War remnant footage and articles. After all, Richard Tauber thought enough of her singing voice to feature her in a new operetta in 1936, straight out of finishing school.

Italian beauty queen 'refugees' were not as tainted with the political hang-overs as people from further east in Europe, especially women determined to succeed as a family rather than as singles.

PECKNOLD, DIANE. "Eva and Zsa Zsa Gabor: Hungary Meets Hillbilly U.S.A." In New Constellations: Movie Stars of the 1960s, edited by WOJCIK PAMELA ROBERTSON, 224-49. Rutgers University Press, 2012. http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt5hhzk9.15.

Looking at a lot of what has been written about zsa zsa lately, I'm not alone in drawing the Gabor/Kardashian comparison. This from CNN...

conandrob240 said:

Wow, pretty insensitive. She was probably very, very ill or maybe suffering from extreme dementia.
mumstheword said:

Wow, pretty judgmental -- as usual.

If she was in a coma for many years or suffering from extreme dementia (and I think she was incapacitated for many years), how did he "tell her" this so that it would be news to her? I just don't understand the statement he made. Sounds extremely self-serving IMHO.

The observation that her husband is self-serving is a far different one than you saying how didn't an old, ailing woman notice she was missing her leg. I agree her husband seems like he was a self-serving prick. But I stand that it was a pretty tacky, insensitive comment about how she didn't notice she was missing her own leg.

2016 is not playing with life...George Michael of the group Wham! passed away. Just wow.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38432862

Wow. Just discussing his voice two days ago.

just read this.... That's really young.

There were all these jokes just a couple of days ago about the "worst" Christmas songs (different discussions to his voice), so this is so unexpected.

this makes me very, very sad. His songs were very much a part of my teen soundtrack. One More Try was always one of my favorites. He was a tremendously talented singer- beautiful voice. Seemed a bit of a tortured soul, though. RIP

George Michael was such a beautiful man.

Ahhh this one sucks.

Saw in the CNN article that Miley Cyrus tweeted thanking him for his LBGT activism. Fair enough, and I get that she's too young to remember, but GM was a hell of a lot more than that. IMO he was the biggest pop star on earth in the later 80's- bigger than MJ for a time (MJ was already getting weird). Absolute hit machine monster and.beating even Madonna at her own game in some ways (remember the disclaimer that ran before the "I Want Your Sex" video?).

"Freedom 90", besides being a freaking killer tune, had meaning when it came out and took on more meaning when GM came out 7 or so years later. I remember when he got busted and all the handwringing but I remember most of all him barely giving a **** about the whole thing. Rock pop rebel.

And I know he burned the jacket and blew up the juke box... but nothing in the world was cooler than that mofo in his leather "revenge" jacket, leather gloves, aviators and cowboy boots. Nobody. Rock star motorcycle riding guitar playing jet fighter pilot badass.

No way of knowing what his cause of death was but he also had an I-don't-give-a-****-what-you-think-about-my-drug-use attitude.... which is fine- the less you give a **** about what strangers think the better off you are- and I thought he had slowed down on that stuff- but 53 year old men dropping dead isn't normal.

Godspeed GM!

it was heart failure. (I mean, obviously. But also officially)

From our ABC report, which is also what the Guardian and BBC are reporting:

"Michael's manager, Michael Lippman, later said the cause of death was heart failure. No other details were released."

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!