Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

joanne said:

Gosh. Tony Bennett made it to 96 years, incredible. A life to celebrate and remember…
May his family and friends find comfort in happier memories of his better years (before dementia), knowing the world mourns with them.

On PBS just the other night, they re-ran the birthday concert Lady Gaga put on for/with him at Radio City

After watching the 60 Minutes segment on the friendship she created with him and his much younger wife, it was even more poignant.  Gaga's image has gotten a real polishing from watching her do the things she does.  She brought SO MUCH happiness into his life at the end, and she was a real comfort to his wife.  It was truly inspiring -- just to get to see his beautiful, happy smile and the twinkle in his eye when all the words and intonation of every song burst out of him as he got to be on stage and accept the audience's thrilled applause one last time.  So very touching. 

Juniemoon said:

This was a shocker to me.  Just heard about it now and thought I might beat you all here.  But, you guys are really fast.

If it was an end to a troubled life, I hope she has found peace.  We'll always have her music, but I'm sure it will be hard on her family.  56.  So young.

Anyone remember whose picture it was that she became so infamous for ripping in half when she hosted SNL?  Was it the then-current pope?

It was Pope John Paul II and she was protesting both the abuse of children by Catholic clergy and the accompanying cover-up.

John Paul's role in suppressing both individual stories and the huge scandal as a whole was little known  at that time (1992) and he was seen by many as a sort of living saint.  We have learned a lot more about the scale of the tragedy, the scale of the cover up and the key part he played in both since then. 

GoSlugs said:

It was Pope John Paul II and she was protesting both the abuse of children by Catholic clergy and the accompanying cover-up.

John Paul's role in suppressing both individual stories and the huge scandal as a whole was little known  at that time (1992) and he was seen by many as a sort of living saint.  We have learned a lot more about the scale of the tragedy, the scale of the cover up and the key part he played in both since then. 

she was such a brave, bold, beautiful woman. Just so sad, losing a child can literally kill you. 

“Randy Meisner, a founding member of the Eagles whose broad vocal range on songs like “Take It to the Limit” helped catapult the rock band to international fame, died on Wednesday in Los Angeles. He was 77.” - NYT

At some point, you start seeing a lot more people who are your peers who died at a “reasonable” age and not just tragically. Growing old is not for the feint of heart. 

PeeWee Herman (Paul Reubens) Cancer

Formerlyjerseyjack said:

PeeWee Herman (Paul Reubens) Cancer

Well, that stinks. 

I loved Pee Wee Herman. He was brilliant in a goofy, satiric way. He will be missed. 

Pee Wee’s death is a hard one. The character he played was ageless. He did so much to bring richness to people’s lives and to encourage everyone to think outside the box. 

Sheila Oliver,71,N J  lieutenant governor

galileo said:

Sheila Oliver,71,N J  lieutenant governor

I felt her loss. I was a public servant for 30 years but she was the embodiment of public service. She dedicated her life to it as a black woman—not an easy task even now; let alone when she started. Her legacy will live on. 

Sixto Rodriguez,  RIP

dave said:

Sixto Rodriguez,  RIP

SUGARMAN!  Terrible loss.  If you ever get to watch the film, "Searching for Sugarman" stop what you're doing and watch it.  A mysterious creature.  Was a HUGE hit in South Africa -- big like, "Beatles" big.  Then he disappeared for years.  A story worth your time.

Not sure how much he fits in the "celebrity" category, but Jerry Moss, co-founder with Herb Alpert, of A&M Records, has died aged 88.  His death was announced on Wednesday by his family in a statement issued to the Associated Press.

Bob Barker dead at 99.  As close as he could get to 100 without going over.

DanDietrich said:

Bob Barker dead at 99. As close as he could get to 100 without going over.

Who’s going to make me laugh tonight? Dan Dietrich, come on down.

In reading his obit it was interesting that he was born on an Indian reservation.

It's funny, I"m reading the NYTimes and CNN.Com and they are saying 2 different things. One says he was born in the state of Washington. The other says he was born on the Rosebud Indian Reservation in South Dakota and was part Native American.

Arlene Sorkin, actress. Aged 67.

Famous for Days of Our Lives and the voice of Harley Quinn.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/arleen-sorkin-original-voice-harley-052459297.html

Arleen Sorkin, who portrayed Calliope Jones on the NBC soap opera Days of Our Lives and served as the original voice of the DC Comics character Harley Quinn, had died. She was 67.

Sorkin died Thursday, a source told The Hollywood Reporter. Health issues kept her from acting in recent years.

Joe "Joe the Plumber" Wurzelbacher. Age 49. Known for questioning Barak Obama about his tax plan.

Cancer.

Huh.

His name came up recently as to "where is he now?"

Too bad. Too young.

yahooyahoo said:

Arlene Sorkin, actress. Aged 67.

Famous for Days of Our Lives and the voice of Harley Quinn.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/arleen-sorkin-original-voice-harley-052459297.html

Arleen Sorkin, who portrayed Calliope Jones on the NBC soap opera Days of Our Lives and served as the original voice of the DC Comics character Harley Quinn, had died. She was 67.

Sorkin died Thursday, a source told The Hollywood Reporter. Health issues kept her from acting in recent years.

Arleen Sorkin wasn't just the original voice, but inspired the creation of the Harley Quinn character, which derived from a Days of Our Lives fantasy sequence where Calliope was dressed as a harlequin. In a heartfelt tribute, Mark Hamill, who voiced the Joker on Batman: The Animated Series, said that the character didn't even have a name in her first appearance, but Sorkin's performance led them to expand the role to the point where Harley Quinn is now one of the leading figures in the DC pantheon. 

My sisters are devastated by the news of Jimmy Buffet's passing. Major Parrotheads. 

My cousin and her husband are HUGE Parrot Heads. They belong to the Costal Jersey Parrot Head Club. They travelled to Florida every year to see him perform. I know they are destroyed...

Just imagine a guy sitting in a bar in Texas drinking a margarita all by himself… he just scribbles the word “margaritaville” on the tissue… and the rest is history. And no, Kokomo is not anywhere near a beach. 

Steve Harwell, lead singer for Smash Mouth. Aged 56.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2023/09/04/steve-harwell-dies-smash-mouth-singer-hospice/70760769007/

The band's song "All-Star" was featured in Shrek.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.