Bring Out Your Dead! The celebrity death thread....

RIP to one of the funniest people to have ever walked the planet--Cloris Leachman, 94.

Cloris Leachman Dead at 94

reminds me I need to revisit that movie

I loved when Cloris at the age of 82 was one of the "Comedy Roast" guests of Bob Saget. John Stamos was also one of the guests. When Cloris got up to the podium she announced that "I'm not here to roast Bob Saget. I'm here to f_ck John Stamos". The audience roared and Stamos obliged by getting up, bending her backwards and giving her a huge prolonged kiss.  

Just last week I watched Croods 2 . Loved her. RIP.

Her portrayal of Ida, the grandmother on Malcolm in the Middle, is beyond funny.

She published her memoir this week, so I guess she was done.  Such an inspirational actress and marvelous role model.

annielou said:

Cicely Tyson, 96

I’m surprised that this guitarist hasn’t yet been acknowledged, given how much of our musical memories are full of his music:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55875914

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/jan/31/hilton-valentine-founding-guitarist-in-the-animals-dies-aged-77

Where would Eric Burdon or The Animals have been without Hilton Valentine?

John Sweeney, 85, Dies; Led Labor Through Years of Relatively Easy Lifts

This obituary, in print today, is full of life.

Marc Wilmore, ‘In Living Color’ Writer, Dies at 57 (NYT)

Christopher Plummer, 91

Jim Weatherly, age 77. 

I'm late to the party here, but is anyone reading Mobituraies? I think this book and Mo in general would fit nicely into this discussion thread.  I'm curious at to why people are just posting deaths and not talking a bit more about the celebrities, though. 

I'll reply here to Joanne's question about Hilton Valentine, though.  They would have not had any of those hits and Eric Burdon would probably not be half the celebrity he was.  House of the Rising son was the very first thing I EVER learned how to play on the guitar - seriously.  It should have been Hilton Valentine and The Animals if you ask me.  Guitar is what gave 60s rock the sound it had, then came some broody vocals to mix it up.  Need a reminder? Listen to any Rhino compilation from that decade of music.  

TheJmon said:

I'll reply here to Joanne's question about Hilton Valentine, though. They would have not had any of those hits and Eric Burdon would probably not be half the celebrity he was.

Like a certain QB without the Patriots, Mr. Burdon had at least enough talent of his own to kick-start another group of winners. They called themselves War.

Yeah, Burdon had a certain charisma that carried The Animals.

These teeny-boppers aren't screaming for the guitar player.

You guys are rough. 

DaveSchmidt started it.

I just piled on.

There's enough admiration to spread around.

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt started it.

I just piled on.

Bang the drum slowly, sonny.  I'll bet you both think Elvis was the King of Rock N Roll, too.  

TheJmon said:

drummerboy said:

DaveSchmidt started it.

I just piled on.

Bang the drum slowly, sonny.  I'll bet you both think Elvis was the King of Rock N Roll, too.  

Not even close.

drummerboy said:

Not even close.

Ah OK, there is hope for you.  Can we go back to my original comment about this post now, or do we need still need to see who's dog is bigger? 

Thanks for the mention of Mobituaries - hadn’t been aware of either the podcasts or the book before. My D has a birthday coming up; he might enjoy this. 

To answer your question re why the ‘announcements’ have been so brief, well they’re not always. I think that the last few months have been so hectic emotionally & mentally that for a lot of posters, the losses mentioned here feel like pieces of lost self. And often that’s hard to talk about. 
I feel constant and unchanging, in one way, so it’s weird to read some of these ages and think ‘how did that happen?’, ‘when did that happen?’ and to realise too that I’m part of someone’s ‘older folk’ generation... (no! Never! I resist growing up!)

TheJmon said:

drummerboy said:

Not even close.

Ah OK, there is hope for you. Can we go back to my original comment about this post now, or do we need still need to see who's dog is bigger?

I thought I did comment on your original comment.

joanne said:

Thanks for the mention of Mobituaries - hadn’t been aware of either the podcasts or the book before. My D has a birthday coming up; he might enjoy this. 

To answer your question re why the ‘announcements’ have been so brief, well they’re not always. I think that the last few months have been so hectic emotionally & mentally that for a lot of posters, the losses mentioned here feel like pieces of lost self. And often that’s hard to talk about. 
I feel constant and unchanging, in one way, so it’s weird to read some of these ages and think ‘how did that happen?’, ‘when did that happen?’ and to realise too that I’m part of someone’s ‘older folk’ generation... (no! Never! I resist growing up!)

Well put, Joanne.  As I mentioned when I joined this thread, I was late to the party.  I'm also about....(let me think)....more than ten years and two houses away from Maplewood, NJ.  This message board has changed a bit, and also not so much.  I also skipped to the end posts, as I didn't want to comment on 'Last Years News'.  

I'm still reading the book, but Mo Rocca also does segments on CBS This Morning on Sunday's.  His book is very clever.  

Well, at least you’re adjacent to MapSO cheese Remember, I’m in Australia? My connection is a couple of cousins in Essex, very dear friends in MapSO, and an adopted daughter and grandson in Irvington.  

joanne said:

Well, at least you’re adjacent to MapSO
cheese
Remember, I’m in Australia? My connection is a couple of cousins in Essex, very dear friends in MapSO, and an adopted daughter and grandson in Irvington.  

Not quite adjacent, but definitely not.....Down Under (sorry, I'm a dad and that is what we do)

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.