Bill Browder and the Magnitsky Act. Humanitarian Act or Big Scam?

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell
said:
South_Mountaineer said:

paulsurovell said:

South_Mountaineer said:
It's not just Browder. 
https://amp.businessinsider.com/how-putin-spends-his-mysterious-fortune-2017-6
Yes it is. That's just someone trying to "prove" Browder's wacko claim by conflating Putin's access to state facilities with Putin's wealth, and citing a bunch of things that unknown people "say."
 That's a false characterization of the article.  Browder's mentioned, but the article collects from other sources.  If you're calling Browder the inspiration for the author of the article, that's something you're coming up with.  I only posted one of many articles that you find if you look for discussions of Putin's net worth.  Most of us don't buy the story that Putin is a great guy who is getting smeared by Browder.
 List the article's claims and the sources for those claims, and then we can talk about it. I'll bet you won't.
The article is literally a list of claims and sources for those claims.
 Not really. Will document later.

Why?

jamie said:
I'm surprised this hasn't been posted:
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2018/11/19/moscow-accuses-bill-browder-of-poisoning-sergey-magnitsky-as-russia-is-expected-to-win-interpol-s-next-presidency
https://ria.ru/incidents/20181119/1533060762.html

Moscow accuses Browder of poisoning Magnitsky. 
Nan - please post Lucy's response here.
This based on info from Oleg Lurie who is someone that Paul, nan & Lucy have a lot of faith in - as far as the truth with what happened in the prison.  Absolutely unbelievable!  This guy (Oleg) officially has zero credibility now.
And it also appears that a Russian may be leading Interpol shortly.  

OK, I have been reading about the Russia in charge of Interpol thing and was going to post on it soon.  So you beat me to that, and I may have some more to post soon.  Oleg Lurie (spelled different in the article) was the Russian journalist who met Surgey Magnitsky in prision and later testified under oath about what he said to him--much of it damning to Browder.  I posted his testimony earlier in the thread.  (here: https://100r.org/media/2017/10/Oleg-Lurie-deposition.pdf).

This article has some obvious falsehoods so I don't think the person writing it knew much about the case:

Sergey Magnitsky, a lawyer working for Browder’s investment fund and asset management company, Hermitage Capital Management, uncovered a massive scheme by Russian law enforcement agents to steal 5.4 billion rubles (more than $81.9 million today). As a result, he was arrested on controversial tax evasion charges and subsequently died in pretrial detention.

Magnitsky was an accountant, not a lawyer and he did not uncover a massive scheme. There is not evidence to show that. 

Lurie did not say Browder had Magnitsky poisoned.  He said he endorsed someone's theory.  We need to see more about this theory--there are no details in the article.  After Lurie left prison (he was there on trumped up charges) he got interested in the case and did a lot of research of his own.   Also, I have heard the idea about Browder killing Magnitsky previously, but I never posted it because it was on an unfamiliar website and I did not have enough information.  Several people have said that Browder contributed to Magnitsky's death because he could have paid his back taxes and gotten him out.  Others have also pointed out that a dead Magnitsky benefits Browder and does not benefit Putin--so there is that also. Don't see how you can say Lurie has zero credibility since you don't know the facts.  I don't know much about Lurie's crediblity, and have seen him described as "controversial" although that term was not understandable in the context.  So we will just wait and see.

Also, the Russian guy leading Interpol may make it easier for them to get Browder.  I read that it should help Cyprus do their investigation.  So, this could be a tough time for Browder.  It will be interesting to see what he does and how the press continues to cover him.  I see they are at least slightly less flattering these days so perhaps he will finally be exposed.  

oleg’s credibility is zilch - what a scam.   

jamie said:

paulsurovell said:

jamie said:

This based on info from Oleg Lurie who is someone that Paul, nan & Lucy have a lot of faith in - as far as the truth with what happened in the prison.
Jamie, I never heard of Oleg Lurie until I read this post.
Sorry about that - I thought you were following the Browder story.  If you were - you'd know Oleg.
I'll await nan's response.  Looks like komisar hasn't posted anything about it on the scoop.  She's a bit stuck at the $100 out of $5,000 on her gofundme page.

Glad to see you look to Lucy for news, even if you have to throw in an unneeded insult.  Journalists need to pay the rent too.

OK, I know you all hate Tom Luongo, and I'm not into Libertarians in general, but I like his analysis on Browder:  

Add This to Bill Browder’s Resume — Criminal Mastermind

Look who’s back in the news this week.  None other than Mr. Anti-Putin himself, Bill Browder.  But Browder isn’t happy at all as to why he’s in the news this time.

A number of things have happened in the past few days which pushed Mr. Browder’s future into uncertainty.  The first occurred on September 30th when the Chinese President of Interpol Meng Hongwei was recalled to China on unspecified corruption charges.

Now that his formal resignation letter has been received by Interpol, the most likely person to replace Meng is Russian Interior Ministry official Alexander Prokopchuk.  And Mr. Prokopchuk is no fan of Mr. Browder.

On the heels of this news Russia has now opened up multiple new lawsuits against Browder (who they convicted in absentia last year to nine years in prison for tax evasion) citing him as the creator and coordinator of a criminal conspiracy.

From Sputniknews:

“Last Friday, a decision was made regarding Browder to initiate a criminal case for creating a criminal organization and directing it, that is, for the crime provided for by Part 1 of Article 210 of Russia’s Criminal Code,” Atmonyev said at a briefing of the Russian Prosecutor General’s Office.
He said Russia would soon put Browder on an international wanted list under the UN Convention Against Transnational Organized Crime.

To add to the bad press, Russia is now openly implicating Browder in the deaths of five people via poisoning, including his cause celebre Sergei Magnitsky himself.  Browder has been the person pushing Magnitsky’s death as the basis for global sanctioning of governments and people for human rights abuses.

In 2012 the U.S. passed the so-called Magnitsky Act which has been replicated around the world and is the basis on which nearly all of the U.S. sanctions have been issued over the past six years.

Russia isn’t forthcoming with any details at this point other than to say that a highly toxic water-soluble Aluminum compound was found in the livers of multiple victims with strong ties to Browder.

Then citing clear motive the Russians are now pursuing the matter domestically.  But, they are also doing so internationally.  Remember, Browder was picked up last year by Interpol on a warrant issued by the Russians in Spain but was soon released thanks to intervention by the U.K., of which he is now a citizen.

One has to think this will not be the case the next time Mr. Browder and Interpol’s paths cross in a country where he does not have implicit protection from Russia.

I do believe that when Russian President Vladimir Putin brought Mr. Browder up at the post-Helsinki Summit press conference he was doing so to begin the process of flushing Browder out into the open while Russia continues to investigate his offshore business dealings.

I talked about this a few weeks ago when no less than the European Union threatened Cyprus with Article 7 sanctions for simply assisting Russia in their investigations of Browder’s business dealings there.

Now this is a dangerous escalation in service of an investigation into someone who, agree or not, Russia has a legitimate interest in pursuing.  Dismissing all of Russia’s concerns about Browder as ‘politically motivated’ is pure grandstanding.  It carries no weight of law and stinks of a far deeper and more serious corruption.
Because if Browder was as pure as the driven snow as he presents himself to the world then he would have no issue whatsoever in Cyprus opening up his books to Russia and put his question of guilt to rest once and for all.

One has to wonder what’s going on here.  The U.S. has used if not outright abused the Magnitsky Act and its sequel, CAATSA, to sanction and threaten to sanction nearly everyone in the world that doesn’t go along with our version of events in Ukraine, Syria, Yemen and Iran.

We sanctioned Turks earlier this year over Pastor Brunson.

Browder has deep ties to deposed Russian oligarch Mikael Khordokovsky, who bankrolled the lobbying for the Magnitsky Act’s and CAATSA’s passage.   Browder was tied up with Edmund Safra at Republic National Bank who Martin Armstrong believes was part of a major conspiracy to overthrown Yeltsin by framing him for the theft of a $7 billion loan from the IMF.

Now, Browder is involved in blowing the whistle, supposedly, on Danish bank Danske’s Estonian branch over hundreds of billions in money laundering, some of which passed through Russia.

The Magnitsky Act has been the lynchpin that holds together the entire U.S. aggressive hybrid war against anyone we determine to be acting against our interests. So, to me it makes perfect sense for Russia and China, in the wake of sanctions being placed on Iran, to up the stakes on the Magnitsky Act itself by going after Browder and outing him as the architect of a global putsch by U.S. and European power brokers to consolidate power via the international banking and finance system.

That’s why this change at Interpol seems so convenient to me . The leader of the biggest obstacle to Browder winding up in a Russian court, Interpol, is suddenly recalled to China on unspecified corruption charges. paving the way for Russia to set Interpol’s priorities.

Do you actually believe this stuff?  

As for Luongo - that was posted at zerohedge - this is a great rundown of that site:

https://api.newsguardtech.com/e88ec019-ba7c-40d8-b666-14158cad5cef?cid=71f81e32-7728-4718-974e-6b1a3e75528b

This is precisely how your "sources" work.  Scary stuff indeed. 

jamie said:
Do you actually believe this stuff?  
As for Luongo - that was posted at zerohedge - this is a great rundown of that site:
https://api.newsguardtech.com/e88ec019-ba7c-40d8-b666-14158cad5cef?cid=71f81e32-7728-4718-974e-6b1a3e75528b
This is precisely how your "sources" work.  Scary stuff indeed. 

We have already gone over about this guy, that's why I said I know you hate him at the beginning. What don't you believe in this piece?  He mostly goes over the same facts from the article you posted and gives his opinion.  You can disagree with him of course, but there is evidence for what he cites. Also, zerohedge is a mixed bag, and has some good articles. This guy is not hiding his identity.  

It was absolute garbage - what on earth did you get out of it?  They're basically trying to regurgitate the same "facts" to try and stay relevant - then they throw in absolute nonsense like Browder poisoned Magnitsky.  It's RT propaganda at it's finest.

And here they're going after Browder's issue with Danske: 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-24/browder-targets-26-bankers-who-worked-at-danske-in-new-complaint

My question to you - what if Browder is right?

Also - the "Good" article you may see in zerohedge are probably place their to legitimize the site.

I have to ask - can you list your top 5 new sources - since the MSM is not doing their job.

nan said:

“That’s why this change at Interpol seems so convenient to me . The leader of the biggest obstacle to Browder winding up in a Russian court, Interpol, is suddenly recalled to China on unspecified corruption charges. paving the way for Russia to set Interpol’s priorities.”

Is that really how Interpol works? The country where the agency’s president is from gets to call its shots?

ridski said:

paulsurovell
said:
South_Mountaineer said:

paulsurovell said:

South_Mountaineer said:
It's not just Browder. 
Yes it is. That's just someone trying to "prove" Browder's wacko claim by conflating Putin's access to state facilities with Putin's wealth, and citing a bunch of things that unknown people "say."
 That's a false characterization of the article.  Browder's mentioned, but the article collects from other sources.  If you're calling Browder the inspiration for the author of the article, that's something you're coming up with.  I only posted one of many articles that you find if you look for discussions of Putin's net worth.  Most of us don't buy the story that Putin is a great guy who is getting smeared by Browder.
 List the article's claims and the sources for those claims, and then we can talk about it. I'll bet you won't.

Here are a number of the article's claims that have no sources:

'He reportedly has access to 20 different palaces and villas"
"But over the years, Putin has been linked to other properties. The most controversial of which is the so-called 'secret palace.' This was reportedly built for Putin using illegal state funds"
"This epic mansion reportedly cost $1 billion to build. It has a private theater and landing pad with room for three helicopters."
"Then there's Olympia. He was reportedly given this 57-meter luxury yacht, worth $35 million, as a gift from Chelsea football club owner and oligarch Roman Abramovich."
"A $1 million Patek Phillippe going up for auction in July 2017 was also said to be owned by Putin."
"In the past, Putin has even given away his watches. The president reportedly owned five Blancpain watches at one time but gave away one to a Siberian boy while on vacation and another to a factory worker who asked for a keepsaked."

There are two claims that are sourced. One by murdered dissident Boris Nemtsov who wrote a "dossier" in 2012 on Putin's wealth. However, the dossier, according to the Telegraph, alleged Putin's access to state assets, not ownership of the assets (which the Business Insider article alleges):

“A dossier drawn up by a political rival of the Russian president suggests that he has 58 planes and helicopters at his use

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/vladimir-putin/9503469/Vladimir-Putin-the-Russian-presidents-life-of-four-yachts-and-58-aircraft.html

There is also reference to a claim by Russian pundit Stanislav Belkovsky in 2007 that Putin had ownership in Russian energy companies and money stashed in Switzerland worth $40 billion.

The Telegraph, reporting on Belkovsky's claim, notes:

Mr Belkovsky claimed his information had come from credible sources in the Kremlin - but admitted he had no documentary evidence.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1573354/40bn-Putin-is-now-Europes-richest-man.html

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell
said:
South_Mountaineer said:

paulsurovell said:

South_Mountaineer said:
It's not just Browder. 

"But over the years, Putin has been linked to other properties. The most controversial of which is the so-called 'secret palace.' This was reportedly built for Putin using illegal state funds"
"This epic mansion reportedly cost $1 billion to build. It has a private theater and landing pad with room for three helicopters."
"Then there's Olympia. He was reportedly given this 57-meter luxury yacht, worth $35 million, as a gift from Chelsea football club owner and oligarch Roman Abramovich."
"A $1 million Patek Phillippe going up for auction in July 2017 was also said to be owned by Putin."
"In the past, Putin has even given away his watches. The president reportedly owned five Blancpain watches at one time but gave away one to a Siberian boy while on vacation and another to a factory worker who asked for a keepsaked."
There are two claims that are sourced. One by murdered dissident Boris Nemtsov who wrote a "dossier" in 2012 on Putin's wealth. However, the dossier, according to the Telegraph, alleged Putin's access to state assets, not ownership of the assets (which the Business Insider article alleges):

“A dossier drawn up by a political rival of the Russian president suggests that he has 58 planes and helicopters at his use
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/vladimir-putin/9503469/Vladimir-Putin-the-Russian-presidents-life-of-four-yachts-and-58-aircraft.html
There is also reference to a claim by Russian pundit Stanislav Belkovsky in 2007 that Putin had ownership in Russian energy companies and money stashed in Switzerland worth $40 billion.

Mr Belkovsky claimed his information had come from credible sources in the Kremlin - but admitted he had no documentary evidence.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1573354/40bn-Putin-is-now-Europes-richest-man.html

Why did you post this at 4am?

Why did you feel the need to post this at all?

jamie said:
It was absolute garbage - what on earth did you get out of it?  They're basically trying to regurgitate the same "facts" to try and stay relevant - then they throw in absolute nonsense like Browder poisoned Magnitsky.  It's RT propaganda at it's finest.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-24/browder-targets-26-bankers-who-worked-at-danske-in-new-complaint

Right about what?  His story with so many holes in it?  Seriously?  Do you believe that?  

jamie said:

How do you know it is nonsense if you know nothing about the charges or the evidence?  All we know so far is that the same substance was found in multiple victims close to Browder.  That is not enough to charge someone, but it is not nothing either.  Might be more evidence.  We really know nothing at this point but you seem to feel like you have expertise and insight on this.  What facts do you have about this case that no one else has? 

jamie said:
Also - the "Good" article you may see in zerohedge are probably place their to legitimize the site.
I have to ask - can you list your top 5 new sources - since the MSM is not doing their job.

I don't have a top 5 list.  I just read a lot based on topics I'm interested in, and with an always skeptical eye.  There is not a lot on Browder because the MSM just repeats the fake news.  Don't you find this just a little disturbing--that they don't even mention his story is controversial?  Does it not make you wonder why and what else they are accepting as truth unconditionally?

jamie said:
Russia lost the vote! https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46286959
This was the Russian guy:

Well, I guess we will have at least a few more years of Browder BS.  I'm sure he is relieved. 

DaveSchmidt said:

nan said:

“That’s why this change at Interpol seems so convenient to me . The leader of the biggest obstacle to Browder winding up in a Russian court, Interpol, is suddenly recalled to China on unspecified corruption charges. paving the way for Russia to set Interpol’s priorities.”
 Is that really how Interpol works? The country where the agency’s president is from gets to call its shots?

Not sure, but have been learning from the Browder case where the Russians put up a notice for him and he was, by the rules supposed to be handed over, and the UK/US did not hand him over.  So the rules don't apply to some countries and some individuals.  So that is political, but not always by the president of Interpol.

ridski said:

Down With Work Shift Bias! Up With Linda Ellerbee!

Resist the Hive, Sleep 9-to-5!

nan said:

So the rules don't apply to some countries and some individuals.  So that is political, but not always by the president of Interpol.

Interpol’s rules have politics built into them.

DaveSchmidt said:

ridski said:

Down With Work Shift Bias! Up With Linda Ellerbee!
Resist the Hive, Sleep 9-to-5!

No, seriously. Why did he post it? 

'He reportedly has access to 20 different palaces and villas"

Source: Up North

"But over the years, Putin has been linked to other properties. The most controversial of which is the so-called 'secret palace.' This was reportedly built for Putin using illegal state funds"

Source: BBC

"This epic mansion reportedly cost $1 billion to build. It has a private theater and landing pad with room for three helicopters."

Source: Business Insider

"Then there's Olympia. He was reportedly given this 57-meter luxury yacht, worth $35 million, as a gift from Chelsea football club owner and oligarch Roman Abramovich."

Source: The Telegraph

Need I go on? Every single one of those claims has a source listed directly under it. Paulsurovell asked for a list of claims and sources, the article is a list of claims and sources. That's all it is, actually, with some common licensed pictures in between. There was literally no point in paulsurovell's post. It's flat out wrong, and there's no reason for him to post it at all.

ridski said:

Need I go on? Every single one of those claims has a source listed directly under it. Paulsurovell asked for a list of claims and sources, the article is a list of claims and sources. That's all it is, actually, with some common licensed pictures in between. There was literally no point in paulsurovell's post. It's flat out wrong, and there's no reason for him to post it at all.

Yes, I thought the article was a good example of the reporting out there. 

Your last two sentences can be used over and over. 

"Here is the Interpol vote: 101 for the South Korean candidate, 61 for the Russian. A total humiliation for Putin. He must be stomping around the Kremlin right now, furious.”

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1065165374130462720?s=20

South_Mountaineer said:
"Here is the Interpol vote: 101 for the South Korean candidate, 61 for the Russian. A total humiliation for Putin. He must be stomping around the Kremlin right now, furious.”

Or texting his BFF about why the United States didn't have his back.

nan said:

jamie said:
 I don't have a top 5 list.  I just read a lot based on topics I'm interested in, and with an always skeptical eye.  There is not a lot on Browder because the MSM just repeats the fake news.  Don't you find this just a little disturbing--that they don't even mention his story is controversial?  Does it not make you wonder why and what else they are accepting as truth unconditionally?

so you bash the MSM but can't name any alternates - wow!  I guess it's mainly RT and Sputnik.

nan said:

jamie said:

Right about what?  His story with so many holes in it?  Seriously?  Do you believe that?  

What are the holes in the Danske story?  And please get your info from a non RT source.  

Do you think Browder killed Magnitsky?  

nohero said:

South_Mountaineer said:
Or texting his BFF about why the United States didn't have his back.

Perhaps a check got lost in the mail?

ridski said:

paulsurovell said:

ridski said:

paulsurovell
said:
South_Mountaineer said:

paulsurovell said:

South_Mountaineer said:
It's not just Browder. 

Why did you feel the need to post this at all?

I like to rebut falsehoods. And why did you feel the need to point out that I posted at 4am?

Edited to Add: My apologies. I mistook the "sources" to be the sources of the photos. So OK, there are "sources" for the articles claims, but many of the claims are misrepresentations of what appears in the sources, especially as regard to the Nemtsov dossier, which makes claims about Putin's lavish presidential life-style, not his personal wealth.

One of the sources, a NY Times article, accurately characterizes the Nemtsov claims as Presidential "Perks" not examples of Putin's wealth:

For Putin, Report Says, State Perks Pile High

AUG. 27, 2012
MOSCOW — President Vladimir V. Putin is rumored to be among the world’s wealthiest men, with an oil-fed fortune worth tens of billions of dollars. He denies that, vehemently, but a report to be published Tuesday suggests that the dispute may be beside the point.
In the report, sarcastically titled “The Life of a Galley Slave,” after the president’s own description of his tenure in office, Russian opposition leaders describe what they call an extraordinary expansion of presidential perks during the 12 years since the start of Mr. Putin’s first term as president — palaces, a fleet of jets and droves of luxury cars.

[ . . . ]
The report does not dwell on the question of Mr. Putin’s personal wealth, but suggests that it may not be as enormous as many have suggested. The reason he “maniacally clings to power,” the report says, is the “atmosphere of wealth and luxury he has become accustomed to, and categorically does not want to part with.”

Bottom line, the Business Insider article does nothing to back up Browder's wacko claim that Putin's wealth is about $200 billion.

I think he was wondering the same thing as the rest of us....did you post it at 4am because Vladi was dictating it to you?

paulsurovell said:

I like to rebut falsehoods. And why did you feel the need to point out that I posted at 4am?

Because you said you wanted to "document" it, and I asked why, and then 10 hours later there's this long post that really says nothing. It doesn't rebut anything, you say it only has 2 sources, which is flat out wrong. The one thing you do get right is that Nemtsov was murdered. Everything else is already covered in the article itself by these two sentences right at the start.

"Vladimir Putin very well may be the richest man in the world. But it's impossible to say for sure."

I mean if that was what you're rebutting, I guess I can't stop you, but all I have to say to you is "why?"

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Employment Wanted

Advertisement

Advertise here!