Big Game Hunting

DottyParker said:
Walter Palmer's Florida home was vandalized. Garage graffitied and stuffed animals arranged on the driveway to spell "killer." One oddity: orange colored pigs' feet and what looked like crunched up pig offal was strewn about the driveway or walkway. I don't know what the significance of the pigs' feet means. Cloven hoof as in Satan?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3185082/Cecil-lion-killer-s-1million-Florida-vacation-home-vandalized-graffiti-pigs-feet.html

Hell hath no fury like an animal rights person.

DottyParker said:
The pigs' feet might be a reference to the pig hunts in "Lord of the Flies." And then, again, it might not.
http://www.shmoop.com/lord-of-the-flies/pighunts-symbol.html

WOW!!! I didn't get any of that and I've probably had to read that book 2 or 3 times. Next time I'm in GA I'm gonna punch my last English Lit teacher in the stomach.

tjohn said:

DottyParker said:
Walter Palmer's Florida home was vandalized. Garage graffitied and stuffed animals arranged on the driveway to spell "killer." One oddity: orange colored pigs' feet and what looked like crunched up pig offal was strewn about the driveway or walkway. I don't know what the significance of the pigs' feet means. Cloven hoof as in Satan?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3185082/Cecil-lion-killer-s-1million-Florida-vacation-home-vandalized-graffiti-pigs-feet.html

A person who cared about animals would not have access to dead animal parts, right? We don't eat them and we don't kill them so where would an "animal rights person" have access to severed feet and bloody body parts? Please don't judge all of us by this action. Most serious animal rights activists use the pen over the sword.

DottyParker said:
Cecil the Lion Beanie Baby Launched
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-cecil-lion-beanie-baby-0804-biz-20150803-story.html

I love that this is being done as an animal rights/conservation fundraiser

Morganna said:

tjohn said:

DottyParker said:
A person who cared about animals would not have access to dead animal parts, right? We don't eat them and we don't kill them so where would an "animal rights person" have access to severed feet and bloody body parts? Please don't judge all of us by this action. Most serious animal rights activists use the pen over the sword.

Animal rights activists can be crazy at times.

NY Times Op-Ed by someone from Zimbabwe.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/opinion/in-zimbabwe-we-dont-cry-for-lions.html?referrer=

I just amazed that the Ty company is still in business

Freeway said:

I know, right?

grahamb said:
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/08/05/opinion/in-zimbabwe-we-dont-cry-for-lions.html?referrer=

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshyt on this op-ed. This guy wants us to believe that because his village was terrorized by one lion, then it's OK to kill them all. Lions are dangerous? No surprise here. That doesn't mean we should allow anyone, including Zimbabweans, to exterminate them. And, please enough with the "you killed off your wild animals and wild places, so why shouldn't we?" argument. When we know better, we do better.

If I learned anything from Cecil's death is that there is still a legal market for trophy hunting endangered or near-endangered animals. Even as a person who eats meat, domesticated and farmed meat, I have to right to be outraged that people are allowed to pay to hunt animals they won't eat.

Hahaha said:

grahamb said:
Sorry, but I'm calling bullshyt on this op-ed. This guy wants us to believe that because his village was terrorized by one lion, then it's OK to kill them all. Lions are dangerous? No surprise here. That doesn't mean we should allow anyone, including Zimbabweans, to exterminate them. And, please enough with the "you killed off your wild animals and wild places, so why shouldn't we?" argument. When we know better, we do better.
If I learned anything from Cecil's death is that there is still a legal market for trophy hunting endangered or near-endangered animals. Even as a person who eats meat, domesticated and farmed meat, I have to right to be outraged that people are allowed to pay to hunt animals they won't eat.

I didn't see the part about "killing them all".

It appears that this Zimbabwean doctoral student is appealing directly to people who just found out trophy hunting is a thing that believe they "know better" than Zimbabweans how this should all work & is trying to educate them as to the reality of the situation outside of the current Twitterstorm of the week. I guess he failed somewhat.

TS Eliot: "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves".

Wanting lions to not die in a sort of distant and detached way is natural- we see them on TV! We see them lick their young! They're cute! And not wanting to see them wiped from the planet is moral and good and wise.

Ignoring out of hand the views of others who may have a different view who actually live with the consequences however is paternalistic and selfish.

There is evidence (look around a bit- Google is amazing) that elephant populations are safest in places where LEGAL hunting occurs. Why? Because for local people just trying to survive in absence of some sort of benefit elephants are nothing but a nuisance- they eat and trample crops, they attack livestock and break fences, they very occasionally kill people. If there is some sort of benefit to protecting them, then they're less likely to kill them, and they're more likely to not tolerate poachers.

Tragedy of the commons.

Before condemning other cultures for "bull*****" there is value to spending some time exploring their views and see if we find something persuasive- particularly if they are likely to have a much more informed view of the issue.

Jackson_Fusion said:

Hahaha said:

grahamb said:
I didn't see the part about "killing them all".

It appears that this Zimbabwean doctoral student is appealing directly to people who just found out trophy hunting is a thing that believe they "know better" than Zimbabweans how this should all work & is trying to educate them as to the reality of the situation outside of the current Twitterstorm of the week. I guess he failed somewhat.

TS Eliot: "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves".

Wanting lions to not die in a sort of distant and detached way is natural- we see them on TV! We see them lick their young! They're cute! And not wanting to see them wiped from the planet is moral and good and wise.

Ignoring out of hand the views of others who may have a different view who actually live with the consequences however is paternalistic and selfish.

There is evidence (look around a bit- Google is amazing) that elephant populations are safest in places where LEGAL hunting occurs. Why? Because for local people just trying to survive in absence of some sort of benefit elephants are nothing but a nuisance- they eat and trample crops, they attack livestock and break fences, they very occasionally kill people. If there is some sort of benefit to protecting them, then they're less likely to kill them, and they're more likely to not tolerate poachers.
Tragedy of the commons.
Before condemning other cultures for "bull*****" there is value to spending some time exploring their views and see if we find something persuasive- particularly if they are likely to have a much more informed view of the issue.

Actually, I've lived in Africa (as a Peace Corps volunteer) and know that there are animal that threaten farming, livestock and townspeople. I lived in a village where a pack of hyenas posed a great threat and required me to walk with a friend and a flash light after dark. Not that any of that should need to justify my right to an opinion. But just to inform you that I'm not some rube who's stilling around Googling all day to get informed about how the world works.

That said, killing for pleasure feels wrong to me and there's no justification for it. If this kill were to cull a herd, reduce a public menace, or provide food for a community, I'd have different feelings about it. But it was not.

Safari tourism has more lasting economic and environmental benefit to Zimbabwe than a trophy hunting.

And it's not just men who are big game hunters....

Big game hunter Sabrina Corgatelli defends killing giraffe: They “are very dangerous animals that could hurt you very seriously”

She added that she was, in effect, doing a public service, because despite being herbivores who mostly congregate in national parks, “giraffes are very dangerous animals” and “they could hurt you seriously very quickly.”

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/03/big_game_hunter_sabrina_corgatelli_defends_killing_giraffe_they_are_very_dangerous_animals_that_could_hurt_you_very_seriously/

dos_centavos said:

Big game hunter Sabrina Corgatelli defends killing giraffe: They “are very dangerous animals that could hurt you very seriously”
She added that she was, in effect, doing a public service, because despite being herbivores who mostly congregate in national parks, “giraffes are very dangerous animals” and “they could hurt you seriously very quickly.”
http://www.salon.com/2015/08/03/big_game_hunter_sabrina_corgatelli_defends_killing_giraffe_they_are_very_dangerous_animals_that_could_hurt_you_very_seriously/

What an idiot.

...which is why a twit like that shouldn't be near them in the first place, the. Colossal idiot.

mjh said:

dos_centavos said:

What an idiot.

Also, an expensive hobby. I wouldn't think her salary would cover this.

So far, every instance of big game hunting I've seen in the media has showcased an American as being the killer. We have Trump's son, the dentist, the gynecologist and the above, all Americans.

Is this a media bias of highlighting Americans? Will the result be the revival of the "ugly American" stereotype?

Revival? I thought that image was thriving around the world still

ALF is a terrorist organization that fights for animal rights. They destroy animal testing facilities, steal animals to liberate them, burn down labs and buildings, etc.

PETA has been know to support ALF.

Morganna said:

tjohn said:

DottyParker said:

yahooyahoo said:
ALF is a terrorist organization that fights for animal rights. They destroy animal testing facilities, steal animals to liberate them, burn down labs and buildings, etc.
PETA has been know to support ALF.

Morganna said:

tjohn said:

DottyParker said:

Agreed. Many true animal rights activists are crazy.

Many is relative. "Some" is just as accurate a description. Even "a minority..." would be.

do people actually mount giraffe heads in their den? that's gauche.

Robert_Casotto said:
do people actually mount giraffe heads in their den? that's gauche.

I've only ever seen them stuffed, never just the head. A quick Google shows some people do mount the head by itself though.

Morganna said:

PETA kills countless animals that are surrendered to them for adoption. They were even caught illegally dumping the bodies in a supermarket dumpster. I'd say they have a pretty steady access to animal parts.

I get my stuffed giraffes the old fashioned way. From Toys R Us.

Freeway said:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Beanie-Baby-Bubble/dp/1591846021

DottyParker said:

Freeway said:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Beanie-Baby-Bubble/dp/1591846021

A relative of mine has a garage full of plastic bins packed with these toys. He went full on Hunt Brothers and had to sell beanie babies in order to buy more beanie babies...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.