Biden vs Trump

Smedley said:

Agreed. Should be no holds barred. Pence with the phony piousness and smarmy smile could have a tough night defending Trump. He doesn't seem to get rattled though, so I think he has a high floor in terms of what can be expected from his debate performance -- he can just repeat talking points / party lines about Trump's accomplishments every which way and he won't do any real harm. Harris has a big chance to bring the heat, but at the same time I recall her bristling and getting a bit thrown off her game when criticized in the debates. So she needs to avoid getting rattled.

If Pence tries Tulsi's "Kamala Harris was too tough on crime" schtick, he's probably the one who would look rattled.

basil said:

Biden should not have agreed to any debate unless Trump releases his tax returns. Presidential candidates are not required by law to release their returns, but they are also not required by law to participate in debates.

Off social media, how does that idea play? When you mention it in conversation with friends, family or colleagues, do they agree it would have helped Biden?

DaveSchmidt said:

basil said:

Biden should not have agreed to any debate unless Trump releases his tax returns. Presidential candidates are not required by law to release their returns, but they are also not required by law to participate in debates.

Off social media, how does that idea play? When you mention it in conversation with friends, family or colleagues, do they agree it would have helped Biden?

For Biden to try it now would be a death wish. However, if the DNC or someone had demanded it a year ago, the idea might have gotten some traction.

Given that the Trumpers have been going on and on about Biden being senile, if Joe shows up and speaks in complete sentences it's a big win for him. 

DaveSchmidt said:

basil said:

For Biden to debate Trump, it gives Trump's presidency a sense of normalcy

basil said:

Had a thought. I'm wondering if Biden waited until something was said or done, perhaps a verbal attack on the female moderator, and simply called him out and walked off the stage, would be a strong move.

Trump pulled a stunt when he refused to attend one of the debates and held his fundraiser for veterans stated that he was treated unfairly by FOX.

And as far back as 2016 VoteVets stood up.

By JAKE MILLER CBS NEWS January 29, 2016, 4:59 PM

Donald Trump: No regrets about missing GOP debate

Another group, progressive-leaning VoteVets.org, put out a statement labeling Trump a "loser" who was using veterans to "protect" himself from Fox News' Megyn Kelly, the co-moderator of Thursday's debate with whom Trump has publicly feuded.

basil said:

DaveSchmidt said:

That’s what they all say? Uncanny.

I hope Biden debates Trump by sticking to the facts, and avoiding any responses to stupid Trump insults.  He should be ready with a few, "I don't think America wants to hear us call each other names, they want us to talk about the challenges we face and what we'll do to address them".

Maybe an, "I'm sorry the President made that insult of {person}, but let's get back to the topic."

I think Biden should always refer to Trump as President Lumpy Trumpy

drummerboy said:

No, that's crude.

Maybe Biden could use "air quotes" whenever he refers to Trump as "President".

nohero said:

drummerboy said:

No, that's crude.

I think Biden should just answer all the questions to the Moderator and audience and behave as if Trump wasn't there. 

ridski said:

I think Biden should just answer all the questions to the Moderator and audience and behave as if Trump wasn't there. 

My earlier comment was along those lines, to just answer the questions.

But if he acts as if Trump wasn't there, then some people (*cough* mtierney *cough*) will say that Biden didn't even realize he was in a debate.

No, Biden should spend the majority of his time beating Trump into the ground, especially when Trump answers first and he can be called on the b.s. that will be in his answer.

nohero said:

ridski said:

My earlier comment was along those lines, to just answer the questions.

But if he acts as if Trump wasn't there, then some people (*cough* mtierney *cough*) will say that Biden didn't even realize he was in a debate.

I can already write mtierney's first debate review:

the president, a plain-speaking non-politician showed why he was able to defeat the career dissembler Mrs. C.  Showing the skills that made him a successful businessman, he commanded the stage in a way Joe Biden can't.  There were a few off-the-cuff misstatements by Mr. Trump, but that's just part of his shoot-from-the hip style that's so appealing.  I was taught as a girl that if I had nothing good to say about someone, to not speak.  So I'll just say that the former veep looked lost on the stage without his teleprompter.  Poor Joe certainly didn't gain any ground on the president last night.  

Will @jamie design the drinking game with words and phrases again? Pretty sure we can expect at least one  "Come on man"

Biden is now responding to the Q Anon question after his Delaware speech.   He's doing great.

More like this - "Get off your golf course and out of the sand bunker"

ridski said:

Maybe.

Except if Trump starts pacing and twitching around Biden as he did with Clinton at one of their 2016 debates. Biden should politely ask Trump if he needs a bathroom break pause.

Even with Depends, it can get uncomfortable. Many try to hold it in, tending to pace and twitch while unrelieved.

What was that about cognitive decline? 

nohero said:

What was that about cognitive decline? 

anyone can be smart and lucid for an hour or a day or even a week.  That's not the kind of evidence that will convince someone to change their subjective opinion that Biden is in the late innings of dementia.

nohero said:

No, that's crude.

After almost four years, surely you know that denial is a river in Egypt.

nohero said:

I   think you should have that cough checked out.

mtierney said:

For the thousandth time:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/denial_is_not_a_river_in_Egypt

ridski said:

mtierney said:

For the thousandth time:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/denial_is_not_a_river_in_Egypt

Don't say *cough* "cognitive decline" ... 

It’s amazing this troll is all over the place making fun of Biden’s cognition when her coward in chief is batshitcrazy every single hour of every single day on Twitter and in real life. These people have balls of brass to be questioning Biden’s acuity. Unbelievable how Trump has dragged these idiots down in to his rabbit hole.

Rapid response is good.  

You know, I was mildly surprised when he said this. It's such a stupid, deeply revealing admission.

I realize we all knew this was the case, but he and his minions tried to hide it from us.

Oops.

ETA: what's really great is that he said it as if it's an accomplishment.

I hope someone asks him about this at the next presser:

"Mr. Prez, what with the economy in the tank and a 1000 people dying every day, how do you find the time to watch 8 hours of TV a day? Not to mention golfing every weekend. Do you golf to take a break from watching TV? Or is it the other way around?"

Random thought about TV:  What percent of his followers get their news from TV, and figure he's keeping up on the news this way?  Maybe they don't see 8 hours as unusual, and see TV as the main source of information.  How many have F News running most of the day when they're home??  Nobody is saying he's watching game shows (are they? i don't follow this any closer than i absolutely have to)

Ugh, i wish i could sleep till Nov 4 (except for waking up to vote, of course).  Can't even think about the results of a R win.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.