Bernie's 2020 Campaign: August 2016 - At least through April, apparently

author said:
 Bernie would honor Union Labor.   Should his crew ever strike I guarantee he would never hire scabs as replacement.

Why would he ever do something that would cause them to go on strike?

tjohn said:

Klinker said:
 MRIs in Canada are sort of a special issue.  The Canadian government has purposefully chosen to purchase fewer of them in order to concentrate in areas that are considered more crucial to health.  I think this is, in part, because studies show that they are vastly over prescribed in places like the US.  
His doctor clearly thought an MRI was warranted.  And he has to wait.  With my insurance, I don't have to wait nearly as long and I like that.

Problem is your insurance can change. Will you have it after you retire?

If we have Medicare for all then we can focus our political will into correcting Medicare deficiencies such as lack of long term care and the getting of vision and dental. 

The middle aged and young are complacent, not thinking of their retirement future. Due to longer life spans it looks like 40% of our population will be passing their wealth not to their descendants but to the medical complex. My mother needed long term medical care. The cost was devastating before I set up a trust. I've been in nursing homes where many former well-to-do are crying because they have been impoverished into Medicaid.

And I'm not getting into our other deficiencies, high deductibles, co-pays and out of network surprise bills. Such as going to an in-network hospital and then getting a large bill because some Dr was out-of-network.

BG9 said:
If we have Medicaid for all then we can focus our political will into correcting Medicaid deficiencies such as lack of long term care and the getting of vision and dental. 
The middle aged and young are complacent, not thinking of their retirement future. Due to longer life spans it looks like 40% of our population will be passing their wealth not to their descendants but to the medical complex. My mother needed long term medical care. The cost was devastating before I set up a trust. I've been in nursing homes where many former well-to-do are crying because they have been impoverished into Medicaid.
And I'm not getting into our other deficiencies, high deductibles, co-pays and out of network surprise bills. Such as going to an in-network hospital and then getting a large bill because some Dr was out-of-network.

I don't disagree with what you are saying.

What I am saying is that people who currently have generous company plans will be less than enthusiastic about universal coverage if it means they lose some benefits.

tjohn said:

BG9 said:
If we have Medicaid for all then we can focus our political will into correcting Medicaid deficiencies such as lack of long term care and the getting of vision and dental. 
I don't disagree with what you are saying.
What I am saying is that people who currently have generous company plans will be less than enthusiastic about universal coverage if it means they lose some benefits.

Well, that's true. The thing is to make the universal healthcare very comprehensive with the option for those who really want more to be allowed to get supplemental insurance, company or private.

LOST said:

author said:
 Bernie would honor Union Labor.   Should his crew ever strike I guarantee he would never hire scabs as replacement.
 Why would he ever do something that would cause them to go on strike?

Well we had that conversation at lunch the other day and agreed that it would probably never happen.

At the same time I long ago came to the conclusion that just about anything is possible.

I will ask him to clarify his thoughts on the matter.

nan said:
 I was just on twitter the other day, responding to what seemed like the hundredth anti-Bernie troll demanding his taxes and I was thinking, "Well, at least the people on MOL, are not that superficial" but yuppers, here we are!!!!!!   The people who think Bernie is like Green Eggs and Ham before trying him are soooooooo concerned about his taxes.  Cause that's what standing between them and a vote for Bernie.  ie. Troll alert.
And Bernie's taxes are just so important.  I mean he is one of the poorest senators, but maybe he has a Sanders Tower in Moscow or a hidden peanut farm and we might need to know about that because of the emoluments clause.  And the 2020 campaign has just begun and none of the other candidates, except Warren has released theirs, but we just know deep in our hearts that Bernie's expensive winter coat is a giveaway to his vast fortune, compromising his ability to be an effective President because of the profit-making aspect.  Not to mention his three mansions, but I'm sure that will be brought up next.  
Anyway, you will get them when you get them and I bet you don't even read them, except to retweet the mountain out of molehill, out of context implication that some Third Way David Brock wannabee pulls out. 

Guess I touched a sore spot. Bernie’s been running for a while now. He could have taken care of this already. It’s not “trollish” to note that. 

It also has nothing to do with how much money he or his wife make. And I have no interest in actually looking at them, but I think journalists should have the same access that other candidates are giving. 

South_Mountaineer said:
Guess I touched a sore spot. Bernie’s been running for a while now. He could have taken care of this already. It’s not “trollish” to note that. 
It also has nothing to do with how much money he or his wife make. And I have no interest in actually looking at them, but I think journalists should have the same access that other candidates are giving. 

Right now the only candidates that have disclosed this are Warren and Harris.  So, Sanders is giving the same access as most of the candidates.  Where are your posts demanding their taxes?  Why is Sanders the only one you are demanding this from?

nan said:

Right now the only candidates that have disclosed this are Warren and Harris.  

And Gillibrand.

DaveSchmidt said:
And Gillibrand.

OK.  There is still a big list.

nan said:

DaveSchmidt said:
And Gillibrand.
 OK.  There is still a big list.

How many had a four-year running start?

DaveSchmidt said:
How many had a four-year running start?

Why would he have released his taxes after he lost the primary?

nan said:

Why would he have released his taxes after he lost the primary?

The question I’m guessing that S_M and others have is: Why wasn’t he better prepared to release them now?

DaveSchmidt said:
The question I’m guessing that S_M and others have is: Why wasn’t he better prepared to release them now?

No S_M and others here don't give a crap about Bernie's taxes.  They just hate Bernie and this is an easy shot. 

nan said:
No S_M and others here don't give a crap about Bernie's taxes.  They just hate Bernie and this is an easy shot. 

It really isn't a cheap shot. They should all be releasing their taxes. Bernie avoided it last time, and so far he's avoiding it this time. Not a good look for transparency. Progressives should be at the forefront on issues like this - not bringing up the rear.

I've been a Bernie fan since he was Burlington's mayor. But that doesn't mean he's perfect. And stuff like this gives me pause.

drummerboy said:
 It really isn't a cheap shot. They should all be releasing their taxes. Bernie avoided it last time, and so far he's avoiding it this time. Not a good look for transparency. Progressives should be at the forefront on issues like this - not bringing up the rear.
I've been a Bernie fan since he was Burlington's mayor. But that doesn't mean he's perfect. And stuff like this gives me pause.

Bernie released his taxes last time.  They were boring as he said they would be. 

nan said:

drummerboy said:
 Bernie released his taxes last time.  They were boring as he said they would be. 

https://www.fool.com/taxes/2019/02/24/bernie-sanders-1-disclosed-tax-return-5-facts-you.aspx

author said:
 https://www.fool.com/taxes/2019/02/24/bernie-sanders-1-disclosed-tax-return-5-facts-you.aspx

The article says he released one year. So it’s not true that “Bernie released his taxes last time.”  He got away with it last time. 

South_Mountaineer said:

author said:
 The article says he released one year. So it’s not true that “Bernie released his taxes last time.”  He got away with it last time. 

Got away with?  Call out the SWAT team.   Maybe we can build a wall around Vermont and keep him up there.

It appears from the information provided by he and his wife that he they may have the least income 

of any candidate since Spiro Agnew  went on the take.   However I am sure Bernie will fill the information gap so you can sleep better at night.

South_Mountaineer said:

"Got away with it"?  Can't let you get away with that comment.  He did not get the nomination so what would have been the point of releasing more?  If you have a problem with his taxes, than just don't vote for him.  Sad he does not release them because I'm sure that's the only thing between you and a vote for Sanders, right?

nan said:

South_Mountaineer said:
 "Got away with it"?  Can't let you get away with that comment.  He did not get the nomination so what would have been the point of releasing more?  If you have a problem with his taxes, than just don't vote for him.  Sad he does not release them because I'm sure that's the only thing between you and a vote for Sanders, right?

I wonder why it took him so very long to release his one year.

It would take me two our three hours to release ten years of my tax returns. The delay would be to redact personal info like my soc number and address.

I think by the first primary debate, all candidates should be asked to release in a timely manner. None of this "it'll take a few months to get it together." 

nan said:

Sad he does not release them because I'm sure that's the only thing between you and a vote for Sanders, right?

That’s a curious (or incurious) perspective. Many people want a candidate’s tax returns to be publicly vetted whether or not they are considering voting for him or her. Otherwise, why would a Democrat want to see Trump’s?

BG9 said:
I wonder why it took him so very long to release his one year.
It would take me two our three hours to release ten years of my tax returns. The delay would be to redact personal info like my soc number and address.
I think by the first primary debate, all candidates should be asked to release in a timely manner. None of this "it'll take a few months to get it together." 

Well a bunch of them have not yet released their taxes.  Only one getting slammed about it is Bernie.  Makes me think it's not about the taxes. 

DaveSchmidt said:
That’s a curious (or incurious) perspective. Many people want a candidate’s tax returns to be publicly vetted whether or not they are considering voting for him or her. Otherwise, why would a Democrat want to see Trump’s?

Trump's taxes were critical to get as he claimed to be a multi-billionaire with international business deals. Some people thought he was compromised by the Russians and possibly others and they wanted to see the tax returns for evidence of that.   Totally understandable considering the guy invokes the emoluments clause everyday before he eats breakfast. 

But, Bernie does not even own one business so how could his taxes even start to demonstrate a conflict of interest?  I guess they could go through his mutual funds and say he owns stock in oil companies as many of us wanting a GND do.  But, really, what could be in his taxes that is worth all the posts about them?

nan said:

Well a bunch of them have not yet released their taxes.  Only one getting slammed about it is Bernie.  Makes me think it's not about the taxes. 

You yourself have described Sanders as the front-runner. In addition to the reason I suggested — his four years to prepare — front-runners tend to get scrutiny and take heat that other candidates don’t. I hope this doesn’t surprise you.

nan said:

But, really, what could be in his taxes that is worth all the posts about them?

I can think of only one way to answer that question.

DaveSchmidt said:
You yourself have described Sanders as the front-runner. In addition to the reason I suggested — his four years to prepare — front-runners tend to get scrutiny and take heat that other candidates don’t. I hope this doesn’t surprise you.

But the people who are demanding the taxes are people who would never vote for him, so it suggests that they want him out of the front-runner spot, not that they care about his taxes, which they don't. 

nan said:

But the people who are demanding the taxes are people who would never vote for him, so it suggests that they want him out of the front-runner spot, not that they care about his taxes, which they don't. 

I can think of public-awareness reasons that an interested citizen would like a leading candidate’s tax returns to be released, without an ulterior motive. It sounds like you can’t. And so it goes.

nan said:

South_Mountaineer said:

He was running for the nomination right up until the very end.  It's no excuse that he didn't get the nomination, as a primary candidate he should have released more tax returns.

You would be the first to criticize Hillary Clinton if she wasn't sharing her tax returns.  In fact, she released them a year before.

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/hillary-clinton-releases-eight-years-of-tax-returns-120882

So Bernie did "get away with it".  That's because he wasn't really vetted.  He's being vetted now, and he and his supporters better get used to it.

I think it comes down to what Bernie's interpretation of "soon" is.  We will see.

Had any other candidate said this - nan would also be wondering what "soon" meant.  And I think it's this hypocrisy that is fueling the tax issue.  

What if Bernie earned 2 million dollars and paid no taxes?  Would this be an issue? 

jamie said:
I think it comes down to what Bernie's interpretation of "soon" is.  We will see.
Had any other candidate said this - nan would also be wondering what "soon" meant.  And I think it's this hypocrisy that is fueling the tax issue.  
What if Bernie earned 2 million dollars and paid no taxes?  Would this be an issue? 

The world of "what if carries infinite possibilities" " What if God was a mushroom growing in the Swiss Alps".........But I will give you something more solid.  If Bernie earned two million dollars last year..........and did not own a business, as stated.  I would suspect him of being Bernie Madow.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.