Bernie's 2020 Campaign: August 2016 - At least through April, apparently

nan said:
 Basically that's the long version of the video.  Interesting how Amy Klobuchar, HIllary 2.0, has adopted her "inspirational goal" verbiage.  This is typical, centrist, incrementalism, neoliberal talking points.  We have had enough of this and we ended up with Trump.   If you don't demand bold change, you get a few crumbs or nothing.  

So they have the same goal, but you’re criticizing strategy. 

The Sanders Institute, a think tank founded by Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ wife and son, is shutting down, at least for now, amid criticism that the nonprofit has blurred the lines between family, fundraising and campaigning.

https://www.apnews.com/9e4794da89ab448399f3ff1457464d1b

Bernie will be vetted this time around.

South_Mountaineer said:

Yeah, the strategy of running Hillary 2.0, the person that lost to an orange reality TV star. 

South_Mountaineer said:
https://www.apnews.com/9e4794da89ab448399f3ff1457464d1b
Bernie will be vetted this time around.

They "vetted" him last time and have been "vetting" him since last time and also since he announced.  I only post a minuscule fraction of the crap I see everyday.  What I don't see is any of his critics talking about his policies except when they want to steal them and pretend they support the same things to get more votes.  

nan said:

South_Mountaineer said:
 Yeah, the strategy of running Hillary 2.0, the person that lost to an orange reality TV star. 

By “they” I meant the different candidates. 

In your comment, the “they” who will decide the nomination are the primary voters. 

tjohn said:
 I think we can pay for it with MMT.

Now we're getting somewhere.

nan said:
 No, saving money. But let's not worry about it until it seems like it's going to happen.  The insurance companies are going to fight like crazy.  They are already spending lots of money on propaganda. 

Why the f**k would you eliminate private insurance?

tjohn said:
I'll fight it like crazy too.  I like my private insurance.  I like being able to go to a doctor of my choice when I feel like it without approval.  I'm not against coverage for all, but I don't want to give up the coverage I have.  And don't insult us by claiming it will be just as easy with single payer without private insurance.

I used to work for a big bank and loved my private insurance package. IIRC it was even cheaper per month for me than my super shi**y ACA package now. But neither of these were anywhere near as good as what I had in the UK. Nowhere f**king close. Now I haven’t lived in the UK for 21 years, and I know the system has been defunded and deliberately eroded for the last 40 years, but the US has a chance to learn from the mistakes of all the other countries that did this after WW2, it would be foolish not to do this now.

So for you, personally, tjohn, what would MFA not cover that you have right now?

ridski said:
 I used to work for a big bank and loved my private insurance package. IIRC it was even cheaper per month for me than my super shi**y ACA package now. But neither of these were anywhere near as good as what I had in the UK. Nowhere f**king close. Now I haven’t lived in the UK for 21 years, and I know the system has been defunded and deliberately eroded for the last 40 years, but the US has a chance to learn from the mistakes of all the other countries that did this after WW2, it would be foolish not to do this now.
So for you, personally, tjohn, what would MFA not cover that you have right now?

You assume I would know what MFA covers and what the procedures are.  Anyway, right now, if my knee, for example, bothers me I can go to the ortho of my choice who takes my insurance without any preapproval.  Or if my back is bothering me, I can go to the PT of my choice without preapproval.  And I have no wait times

ridski said:
No wait times?

2-3 days at most.  By comparison, a friend in Toronto who needed an non-emergency MRI of his knee has to wait a couple of months.

tjohn said:

ridski said:
No wait times?
 2-3 days at most.  By comparison, a friend in Toronto who needed an non-emergency MRI of his knee has to wait a couple of months.

So, wait times.

l have a Bernie question on a different topic. 

What’s the deal with his tax returns? He’s had more than enough time to pull them together and release them. 

Good question - how many times has Bernie said "Soon" - then blames his wife for the delay.  He said he would release 10 years of tax returns "soon" at a town hall in February.  As Bernie says "Our tax returns will bore you to death", so - what's the rush then I guess.

From April 2016: https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/bernie-sanders-wife-tax-returns-221511

jamie said:
Good question - how many times has Bernie said "Soon" - then blames his wife for the delay.  He said he would release 10 years of tax returns "soon" at a town hall in February.  As Bernie says "Our tax returns will bore you to death", so - what's the rush then I guess.
From April 2016: https://www.politico.com/story/2016/04/bernie-sanders-wife-tax-returns-221511

That's ridiculous.  How can the Dems go after Trump and his tax returns if they've let Bernie slide all this time?  He's screwing things up.

All I know about "socialized medicine" is what I see on Doc Martin.

Anyone in the Village can just show up at his "surgery" with what ever problem they have, or in an emergency he goes to them. If a stranger shows up he asks if they are registered with him and if not he tells his secretary to sign them in as , I believe, a guest. 

No one ever pays him, but I assume he is receiving compensation from somewhere.

If the terms "single-payer" or "Medicare for All" or "socialized medicine" scare off voters a smart Candidate will say that he/she is for the "Doc Martin System" and anyone who wants to know what it is can tune in PBS.

STANV said:
All I know about "socialized medicine" is what I see on Doc Martin.
Anyone in the Village can just show up at his "surgery" with what ever problem they have, or in an emergency he goes to them. If a stranger shows up he asks if they are registered with him and if not he tells his secretary to sign them in as , I believe, a guest. 
No one ever pays him, but I assume he is receiving compensation from somewhere.
If the terms "single-payer" or "Medicare for All" or "socialized medicine" scare off voters a smart Candidate will say that he/she is for the "Doc Martin System" and anyone who wants to know what it is can tune in PBS.

Season 9 due out this year. Woohoo!

It's kind of silly to compare a non-existent U.S. universal health care system to systems in other countries.

And is it really that important to get a non-emergency MRI within a few days rather then a couple of months? 

South_Mountaineer said:
l have a Bernie question on a different topic. 
What’s the deal with his tax returns? He’s had more than enough time to pull them together and release them. 

I was just on twitter the other day, responding to what seemed like the hundredth anti-Bernie troll demanding his taxes and I was thinking, "Well, at least the people on MOL, are not that superficial" but yuppers, here we are!!!!!!   The people who think Bernie is like Green Eggs and Ham before trying him are soooooooo concerned about his taxes.  Cause that's what standing between them and a vote for Bernie.  ie. Troll alert.

And Bernie's taxes are just so important.  I mean he is one of the poorest senators, but maybe he has a Sanders Tower in Moscow or a hidden peanut farm and we might need to know about that because of the emoluments clause.  And the 2020 campaign has just begun and none of the other candidates, except Warren has released theirs, but we just know deep in our hearts that Bernie's expensive winter coat is a giveaway to his vast fortune, compromising his ability to be an effective President because of the profit-making aspect.  Not to mention his three mansions, but I'm sure that will be brought up next.  

Anyway, you will get them when you get them and I bet you don't even read them, except to retweet the mountain out of molehill, out of context implication that some Third Way David Brock wannabee pulls out.  

Here's big Bernie news - his campaign workers have unionized--the first in history!

Workers on Bernie Sanders’ 2020 campaign have unionized

https://www.apnews.com/be93d7afe8e942728fd828832d202e7c

So his campaign workers will now be his salaried employees? With all that entails - withholding, soc sec tax, unemployment tax, disability tax, union dues, etc ?

BG9 said:
So his campaign workers will now be his salaried employees? With all that entails - withholding, soc sec tax, unemployment tax, disability tax, union dues, etc ?

Everything you mentioned would be true in a non union shop............with the exception of union dues

And they are the best few dollars you would ever want to spend.

For the One Big Union

tjohn said:
I'll fight it like crazy too.  I like my private insurance.  I like being able to go to a doctor of my choice when I feel like it without approval.  I'm not against coverage for all, but I don't want to give up the coverage I have.

That's sort of the definition of privilege, isn't it?  I want justice for others but I am not willing to give up anything to get it?

tjohn said:

ridski said:
No wait times?

MRIs in Canada are sort of a special issue.  The Canadian government has purposefully chosen to purchase fewer of them in order to concentrate in areas that are considered more crucial to health.  I think this is, in part, because studies show that they are vastly over prescribed in places like the US.  

nan said:
Here's big Bernie news - his campaign workers have unionized--the first in history!
Workers on Bernie Sanders’ 2020 campaign have unionized
https://www.apnews.com/be93d7afe8e942728fd828832d202e7c

That's a stunt.   Bernie needs some cover for the allegations with respect to working conditions during his last campaign.

A campaign is an entity with a limited life and firm end-date.  Workers aren't 9 to 5 or 40 hours a week.  Presumably they already have their basic employment details in effect such as salary or hourly wage, benefits (if any), and payment of employment taxes to the government.  Maybe there will be a contract with the union, but that's not in existence yet.

nohero said:
That's a stunt.   Bernie needs some cover for the allegations with respect to working conditions during his last campaign.
A campaign is an entity with a limited life and firm end-date.  Workers aren't 9 to 5 or 40 hours a week.  Presumably they already have their basic employment details in effect such as salary or hourly wage, benefits (if any), and payment of employment taxes to the government.  Maybe there will be a contract with the union, but that's not in existence yet.

It will give them bargaining power.  And so what if it was in response to complaints about a previous campaign?  He handled it better than others.  Clinton and Harris also had problems with sexual harassment during their campaigns and they did practically nothing about it (and no one asks them about it either--they will just continue to hound Bernie no matter how much he does on this).  Bernie took it head on, took responsibility and showed leadership, putting many new groundbreaking policies and procedures in place, including this one.  Even though you have made it clear you don't support him, you should give credit where credit is due. 

nan said:
 And so what if it was in response to complaints about a previous campaign?   

Exactly.  Don't we want a candidate who can learn from the past and change as they move forward?

drummerboy said:
It's kind of silly to compare a non-existent U.S. universal health care system to systems in other countries.
And is it really that important to get a non-emergency MRI within a few days rather then a couple of months? 

The people who have the large company insurance plans that allow them quick access to healthcare services won't support universal healthcare if they have to give that up.  So, presumably, there has to be a two-tier system.

Klinker said:
 MRIs in Canada are sort of a special issue.  The Canadian government has purposefully chosen to purchase fewer of them in order to concentrate in areas that are considered more crucial to health.  I think this is, in part, because studies show that they are vastly over prescribed in places like the US.  

His doctor clearly thought an MRI was warranted.  And he has to wait.  With my insurance, I don't have to wait nearly as long and I like that.

nan said:

nohero said:
 It will give them bargaining power.  

Right.  As if people who sign on to Bernie's campaign would go on strike against him and hobble his campaign.

nohero said:

nan said:

nohero said:
 It will give them bargaining power.  
Right.  As if people who sign on to Bernie's campaign would go on strike against him and hobble his campaign.

Bernie would honor Union Labor.   Should his crew ever strike I guarantee he would never hire scabs as replacement.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.