All you need to know about the Dakota Access Oil Pipeline (DAPL) protests

You saw my true colors Paul, nice catch.

especially my response of "ugh" and "idiot" to Scott Pruitt's CO2 comments yesterday. Dead giveaway I'm a climate change denier.

You're really something else... keep it coming tho, this is fun! I'll fact check your fear-mongering extremist nonsense til you're in fetal position begging for mercy. The truth hurts! gulp

paulsurovell said:
I haven't seen the word "methane" in any of your posts. That's telling, but it's been obvious all along that you're on the climate-change-denial spectrum.

0dollars2cents said:

You saw my true colors Paul, nice catch.

especially my response of "ugh" and "idiot" to Scott Pruitt's CO2 comments yesterday. Dead giveaway I'm a climate change denier.

You're really something else... keep it coming tho, this is fun! I'll fact check your fear-mongering extremist nonsense til you're in fetal position begging for mercy. The truth hurts! gulp
paulsurovell said:
I haven't seen the word "methane" in any of your posts. That's telling, but it's been obvious all along that you're on the climate-change-denial spectrum.

Looking forward to the results of your "fact-checking."

Remember the time you said

• "(2) the low price for natural gas will likely cause increased energy usage and defer transition to near-zero emissions technology, which is more expensive
  • (3) natural gas is replacing emissions free, more expensive nuclear power."

and I used EIA data to prove both statements 100% false. Good times.

btw, EIA stands for Energy Information Administration. you should consider reading their stuff once in a while, instead of left-wing-Breitbart cheese

paulsurovell said:

0dollars2cents said:

• "(2) the low price for natural gas will likely cause increased energy usage and defer transition to near-zero emissions technology, which is more expensive

btw, EIA stands for Energy Information Administration. you should consider reading their stuff once in a while, instead of left-wing-Breitbart cheese
paulsurovell said:

I'll deal with your failed rebutttals of (2) and (3) later.

You are still radio-silent on (1):

The release of methane in production and storage (of natural gas) is a more potent force for global warming than CO2.

As I said before, your embrace of Exxon's natural gas / fracking advertisement and your denial of the role of methane in global warming puts you on the climate-change-denial spectrum.

That's not how this works, Paul. See, I don't talk out of my arse about stuff I haven't researched. So I have no comment on (1) at this time. If or when I feel like reading up on it, I'll comment.

Meanwhile, I'm very much looking forward to Paul-The-Scientist vs EIA data. That should be fun... I'm waiting.

paulsurovell said:
I'll deal with your failed rebutttals of (2) and (3) later.

You are still radio-silent on (1):

The release of methane in production and storage (of natural gas) is a more potent force for global warming than CO2.

As I said before, your embrace of Exxon's natural gas / fracking advertisement and your denial of the role of methane in global warming puts you on the climate-change-denial spectrum.

0dollars2cents said:

paulsurovell said:

In the current market, the position of the owners of nuclear power plants is that natural gas is lowering electricity prices, creating the possibility that their plants would be uneconomical to run.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/17/02/26/pseg-still-looking-for-subsidies-to-help-keep-nuclear-fleet-afloat/

More recently, historically low natural gas prices have driven power prices so low that nuclear plants have found it hard competing in the deregulated energy market, causing owners to seek subsidies or get out of the business.

Of course, the numbers need to be checked by the appropriate regulators. But it's not incorrect to state that it seems to be an issue.

(at risk of splitting hairs), I did say EIA data confirms gradual shut downs of nuclear plants.

In terms of magnitude of impact, nat gas has a FAR greater impact on coal than nuclear. See attached pic.

South_Mountaineer said:
In the current market, the position of the owners of nuclear power plants is that natural gas is lowering electricity prices, creating the possibility that their plants would be uneconomical to run.

http://www.njspotlight.com/stories/17/02/26/pseg-still-looking-for-subsidies-to-help-keep-nuclear-fleet-afloat/
More recently, historically low natural gas prices have driven power prices so low that nuclear plants have found it hard competing in the deregulated energy market, causing owners to seek subsidies or get out of the business.
Of course, the numbers need to be checked by the appropriate regulators. But it's not incorrect to state that it seems to be an issue.

0dollars2cents said:

(at risk of splitting hairs), I did say EIA data confirms gradual shut downs of nuclear plants.

In terms of magnitude of impact, nat gas has a FAR greater impact on coal than nuclear. See attached pic.

Without knowing the assumptions on which the projections are based, the graph doesn't indicate that the pricing effect of natural gas is what reduces generation from coal. It could just as well be that the shut-down of older, dirtier plants is the reason for reduced coal generation. Or, not, again based on what the assumptions are.

Must be one giant coincidence coal fell off a cliff at exactly same moment in time US shale revolution happened.

Nat gas is taking share from coal. That is what has happened over last 10 years, and will continue to happen for next 10 (at least). The former is a fact, the latter is consensus view of most industry/gov't folks in energy.

"The recent decline in the generation share of coal, and the concurrent rise in the share of natural gas, was mainly a market-driven response to lower natural gas prices that have made natural gas generation more economically attractive. Between 2000 and 2008, coal was significantly less expensive than natural gas, and coal supplied about 50% of total U.S. generation. However, beginning in 2009, the gap between coal and natural gas prices narrowed, as large amounts of natural gas produced from shale formations changed the balance between supply and demand in U.S. natural gas markets." - EIA Natural gas expected to surpass coal in mix of fuel used for U.S. power generation in 2016

South_Mountaineer said:
Without knowing the assumptions on which the projections are based, the graph doesn't indicate that the pricing effect of natural gas is what reduces generation from coal. It could just as well be that the shut-down of older, dirtier plants is the reason for reduced coal generation. Or, not, again based on what the assumptions are.

EIA released CO2 report for 2016.

In case there are still any doubts re: natural gas vs coal dynamic. Consider this next time you oppose pipeline construction or fracking.

Environmentalists strike again!  First they leave garbage and stray dogs after protests, now this. 

• "The Mahaska County sheriff's department in Iowa reported an incident of vandalism at an above-ground portion of the Dakota Access pipeline last week. According to the department, it appeared an intruder crawled under a security fence and used a blowtorch to damage a safety valve on the pipeline, causing a hole the diameter of a pen." http://www.argusmedia.com/news/article/?id=1427333

Make no mistake: you're looking at extremist-left version of #PizzaGate.... when people demonize pipelines and energy companies, you empower idiots like this. Good job guys, well done!

0dollars2cents said:

EIA released CO2 report for 2016.

In case there are still any doubts re: natural gas vs coal dynamic. Consider this next time you oppose pipeline construction or fracking.

You continue to ignore methane as a source of global warming, which is why you remain on the spectrum of climate-change denial.

Natural gas produces less CO2 but lots more methane and methane is a more potent source of global warming than CO2.

I wish that your Pollyanna attitude were justified and we could all relax because natural gas is going to prevent a climate catastrophe But that is wrong and irresponsible. More to come.

This event might be of interest to people who are against the pipeline. This group has been hosting events across country and will be in NYC on April 21st.

The #Earth2Trump : Roadshow of Resistance is coming through New York City and bringing with it some musical medicine and a call to action! These shows will be an act of resistance within themselves - providing ways to get inspired, plug in to your local community's issues, and even take action during the event. There are a million ways to resist, so make sure to join us and help spread the word! The event is free, family friendly, and open to the public.

A special emphasis will be put on #NoDAPL , #protectthesacred , and indigenous solidarity. Learn more about Sacred Stone camp, civil disobedience, the importance of building bridges, and standing up for the land and water. You don't want to miss our line-up here ... in NYC!

Featuring music by: RSVP encouraged
Lyla June - Diné and Cheyenne hip-hop artist
Casey Neill - singer-songwriter

Speeches by:
Cheryl Angel - Lakota elder fighting the Dakota Access and Keystone XL pipelines
Brytnee Laurette - activist with Center for Biological Diversity

Acts of resistance:
Prints will be for sale to raise money for the Lakota Peoples Law Project
Letter to Your Senators station will be set up, where you can sign an already written postcard or write your own message to your senators. Postcards and stamps will be provided.
Plug into your local community by visiting one of the many organizations tabling at the venue.
Join 65,000 other protectors across the U.S. who have signed the pledge of resistance to let Trump and his administration know we are here to protect and resist.
And more - guess you'll have to come to find out!

Shout outs to our local partners:
TBA

APR21Earth2Trump: Roadshow of ResistancePublic · Hosted by Center for Biological Diversity

InterestedGoing

This is scary regarding the transportation of oil via rail. Article from the AP.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAUL...

And also proves why alternative energies should be a priority.

alias said:

This is scary regarding the transportation of oil via rail. Article from the AP.

http://hosted2.ap.org/APDEFAUL...

Back in the news, a small victory for the pipeline.

https://www.theatlantic.com/sc...

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.