Advice Needed - 504 Plan at CHS for Medical Issue

I will be requesting a 504 plan from Columbia High School related to surgery (crutches) and required PT for possibly as long as 4 months. If you have direct experience with this, pls. PM me if you aren't comfortable posting here. Any advice will be appreciated.

I believe the 504 Coordinator is now Jennifer Giordano. You should not go to the Child Study Team or Director of Special Ed. (SOMSD has bifurcated these functions to the degree of absurdity).

I would write Dr Giordano a letter requesting the accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and enclose any documentation you may have. You can email it. Good luck.

Thanks, @BaseballMom. I will be writing to Dr. Giordano today, to see what documents they will be needing from me. I checked the text of Section 504 on the US Department of Ed website, and it indicates that an evaluation will be made when they receive the request. If you've done this before, would you be able to give me and idea of how long the evaluation process was?

I would also include the Director of Special Services, Ella Rideau. During the 2014-2015 school year, the Director of Special Services had oversight of the 504 plans.

Thanks, @erins. I've drafted the letter and included Dr. Giordano, the grade guidance counselor, and Judy Lobianco for PE. My concern extends to making up any PE credits - does she need to make up credits if she is medically excused? I was told we could schedule Health and Driver's Ed, but what if it needs to go to the 3rd quarter?

My kid had to miss an extensive amount of PE due to a concussion. We quickly were able to get a 504 in place with Ms. G's help. The PE was medically excused and there was no penalty or make-up required. She used that period as a study hall IIRC. With a physical injury the process is very straightforward. Just ask the orthopedist to be very specific about the limitations/duration. It can be extended as needed without fuss. But will require additional al notation /contact from the MD.

Agree with Nakaille: ask the doctor to be VERY specific about what can/can't be done physically, including standing for a long time, whatever. That is helpful at CHS.

The physician documentation is also necessary for the nurse, who issues elevator passes. (I think there is a $ deposit required ) .

Thanks, I will include all these in my initial request. I will outline the points for the doctor to cover in his letter to the school. He says that his patients have not needed a 504 plan for this condition so he says he doesn't have experience with them but is happy to fill out any forms and provide any information that is needed. If you think of anything else that needs to be covered, I'm all ears.

The doctor may not have done a 504 recently for this, but that doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Honestly, all that documentation was impressive to my accident-prone kid -- he actually (sort of) took care of himself, except when he nearly re-broke the bone. Yeah. Good luck! I think teenagers have less self-preservation sense than toddlers.

Thanks, @MarciaW. I agree that it's a good idea to document all this up front. I'm working on my draft now.

This should not be difficult if you have the documentation. I had to get a 504 for my daughter for a physical issue. They were very open to what we needed. But everyone (Drs and Guidance) did act like this was the very first one that they had ever done, which is bizarre! So you will have to do the thinking about the limitations that you want to have outlined and the accommodations that you think your child will need- I'll send you a private inbox with some to think about and I'd be happy to discuss more if you'd like to talk this through.

Thanks, @alisons. I responded to your message. Yes to your offer, as I will be sending out my letter bright and early tomorrow morning.

Don't forget the role that the school nurses play at C.H.S., let them know what is going on with your child, the first day of school, or even before that, they may be in their office getting ready for the new school year. Also see if you can get an elevator key.

Thanks, emmie. I will definitely include the school nurses. We are planning to try to get a meeting with the school/district this week.

Firsting what @emmie said. grin

SuzanneNg said:
The physician documentation is also necessary for the nurse, who issues elevator passes. (I think there is a $ deposit required ) .

Still trying to wrap my head around everything so that I don't miss anything. Thanks, @SuzanneNg oh oh

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!