Presidential Results Thread

author said:

For ease of reading I try to double space my sentences. However then the computer takes over and frequently

adds one word or shortens the contents of one sentence or another. Since I am lucky to be able to even turn on

the computer I frequently simply rely on this method of printing.

I can try in the future to simplify my sentence structure to single spacing.

I am most interesting because I drink Dos Equos

Are you hitting enter after every line or sentence? You only need to hit enter after a paragraph. Line lengths will differ on everyone's browser and makes your posts very tricky to read.

author said:

At some point before the winner was called I heard a news person make the commentary that the wages of the

middle class, I guess adjusted for inflation , had not improved in 16 years. That had to make for a deep seated

resentment of Washington and any insider of both parties. The call to "make America great again" resonated.

The old resentment against immigrants and Muslims especially played to the fears of those who hold such thoughts.

Hillary, through her various roles was almost the ultimate Washington insider. The confusion of her e mail habits

certainly did not help.

We are a great people We have survived diversity and the system of checks and balances is very much in place.

"The strongest steel is that which is forged in the hottest fire" "All things pass"

Peace Be With You

Silly.

People are crazy if they think that manufacturing jobs are returning to uneducated white men in depressed rural areas with economies that have been dying for 40 years. They are disenfranchised and bitter and happy to blow up a system that has done them no favors.

Oh and people held HRC to a higher standard than men.

not a "higher" standard--- just the same agreed upon legal standard for men and women in government

So, mtierney, you must be looking forward to Donald's upcoming trials.

1) civil trial over alleged fraud in Trump University real estate program

2) class action suit against same is set for Monday after thanksgiving.

3)NY investigation over his fake charitable foundation

and possibly 4) reported federal investigation into some of his advisers’ ties to Russia.

And then there's all the suits he claimed to be bringing against all those women he assaulted as well as the 2 chefs who backed out of working at the T hotel in DC.

Maybe he can be impeached before his term even begins.

I just posted these facts on another thread ---

Tammy Duckworth
Representative Tammy Duckworth, a Democrat from Illinois, defeated Senator Mark S. Kirk, who had been seen as perhaps the most imperiled incumbent Republican in the Senate. Ms. Duckworth is the first candidate of Thai heritage — she was born in Thailand to a Thai mother of Chinese descent — to win a seat in the Senate.
Ms. Duckworth, 48, is a United States veteran who lost her legs in the Iraq war after the Black Hawk helicopter she was co-piloting was shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade in 2004.
“It just shows you how diverse we are becoming when our female veterans who are wounded are reaching some of the highest offices in the country,” said Mark N. Strand, the president of the Congressional Institute.

Ilhan Omar
Ilhan Omar made history on Tuesday night, becoming the nation’s first Somali-American legislator after a commanding victory in a Minnesota House race, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.
Minnesota is home to the nation’s largest Somali immigrant population. And Ms. Omar, a Muslim who faced only nominal Republican opposition in a Minneapolis district, continued an unlikely political journey that began amid the Somali civil war and a Kenyan refugee camp, the newspaper said.

The electorate accepted Trump, warts and all.

They suffered Clinton duplicity fatigue.

mtierney said:

I just posted these facts on another thread ---

Tammy Duckworth
Representative Tammy Duckworth, a Democrat from Illinois, defeated Senator Mark S. Kirk, who had been seen as perhaps the most imperiled incumbent Republican in the Senate. Ms. Duckworth is the first candidate of Thai heritage — she was born in Thailand to a Thai mother of Chinese descent — to win a seat in the Senate.
Ms. Duckworth, 48, is a United States veteran who lost her legs in the Iraq war after the Black Hawk helicopter she was co-piloting was shot down by a rocket-propelled grenade in 2004.
“It just shows you how diverse we are becoming when our female veterans who are wounded are reaching some of the highest offices in the country,” said Mark N. Strand, the president of the Congressional Institute.

Ilhan Omar
Ilhan Omar made history on Tuesday night, becoming the nation’s first Somali-American legislator after a commanding victory in a Minnesota House race, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.
Minnesota is home to the nation’s largest Somali immigrant population. And Ms. Omar, a Muslim who faced only nominal Republican opposition in a Minneapolis district, continued an unlikely political journey that began amid the Somali civil war and a Kenyan refugee camp, the newspaper said.

The electorate accepted Trump, warts and all.

They suffered Clinton duplicity fatigue.

You realize that Clinton won Minnesota and Illinois?

The reality is that Trump targeted scared undereducated (disproportionately Christian or hyper-Christian) white men and their white undereducated (disproportionately Christian or hyper-Christian) wives - playing to fear, xenophobia and frustration with a dying middle class.

Perhaps undereducated white Christian women are more tolerant of a man's warts? Or simply support whomever their husband supports?

So we can debate this now or wait until Trump's next sexual assault.

woot said: "Perhaps undereducated white Christian women are more tolerant of a man's warts? Or simply support whomever their husband supports?"

What a trifecta of demeaning insults! tongue rolleye

Women have to be educated to have an opinion

Married woman accept political direction from their husbands

Undereducated women are unable to have an opinion

some of the smartest people I know are "undereducated". some of the dumbest, "overeducated."

George Carlin...“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”

Woot said:

People are crazy if they think that manufacturing jobs are returning to uneducated white men in depressed rural areas with economies that have been dying for 40 years. T.

I think this is true and I look to Trump to prove me wrong. What is also true is that successful Presidential campaigns will find a way offer something to both the urban and rural electorate.

mrincredible said:

Do you mean adversity?
author said:

We are a great people We have survived diversity

Of course.............actually a pretty funny error

mtierney said:

woot said: "Perhaps undereducated white Christian women are more tolerant of a man's warts? Or simply support whomever their husband supports?"

What a trifecta of demeaning insults! tongue rolleye

Women have to be educated to have an opinion

Married woman accept political direction from their husbands

Undereducated women are unable to have an opinion

It's not insulting It is exit poll results

Robert_Casotto said:

some of the smartest people I know are "undereducated". some of the dumbest, "overeducated."

Not surprising. Sounds like you may be undereducated

Maybe you thought Trump "tells it like it is"

Woot said:

He does! But it depends on the definition of is.

His first words spoken in the Oval Office were a lie: "This was a meeting that was going to last for maybe 10 or 15 minutes.”

It was scheduled to be an hour.

Robert_Casotto said:

Of course, we all know this to be true on an individual basis but in terms of understanding the detailed political, social, economic, environmental and legal issues our country faces and coming up with plans for what to do about them, I'll put it in the hands of the educated every time.

Woot said:

Robert_Casotto said:

I'll put my "underducation" up against yours any day of the week, including Sunday.

Pssst, Woot. Bobby is a ringer from one of New York's best high schools.

DaveSchmidt said:

So when he says "some of the smartest people I know are 'undereducated'. some of the dumbest, 'overeducated.", guess that's Q.E.D?

I posted this in the Happening Now thread but it may be more appropriate here:

I was surprised by the result and as unhappy as anyone. To me, Trump represents a lot of what is wrong with America: He is greedy, has a huge ego, no impulse control (look at that tweet above! My God man, you just won the Presidential election of the strongest and greatest nation on earth, forget about a small group of protesters and lambasting the media), misogynistic, xenophobic, crude, tacky, insecure, thin skinned, not particularly bright when it comes to history and international affairs, etc., etc., etc. I really see no Presidential qualities in him - particularly the need to be circumspect, to think things through before reacting.

But the country will survive a Trump Presidency. We've been through a Revolution, Civil War, two World Wars, Depressions and recessions, Suffrage, segregation, the Civil Rights struggle, Korea, Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, the Cold War, 9/11 and on and on and on.

I've been through enough Presidential elections and have heard all the prognostications after each one. During the Reagan years the Democratic Party was dead and never to be heard from again; when Clinton was first elected it was the end of the Republican Party; when Bush II won re-election it was again the end of the Democratic Party; When Obama was elected that was again it for the Republican Party; now with Trump it is again the death knell for the Democratic Party. Wrong, because now it is time to govern.

I voted for HRC but was never happy and enthusiastic about her. Her Iraq War vote to me was a huge strike against her and one I could not forgive. In my opinion, when the biggest foreign policy decision of this Century had to be made she whiffed. That is why I voted for Obama in the 2008 primary and I believe the primary reason she lost to him. That's all on her.

While I respect HRC and her years of public service and wanted her as POTUS this year it is time to move on from the Clintons. The Republican party has moved on from the Bushes. As someone on this board said, which I found accurate, HRC was the Democratic Party's Bob Dole.

We need more Obamas and the work starts now. There is already good competition for DNC Chair. Howard Dean and Keith Ellison are running, realizing we need a 50 state strategy, a tech update, and outreach to more of the disenfranchised.

I am over the election. I have endured the taunts and gloating of Trump supporters (some of whom are friends and co-workers) and vented with Democratic friends and family members and have accepted the result and am ready to move on.

Albert Einstein said that "In every crisis lies great opportunity." As depressing as it was, this election and a Trump Presidency provide great opportunity for Democrats. If history teaches us anything, the American people are resilient and the pendulum always swings back.

The mid term elections will be here in 2 short years; the next Presidential election will be here before you know it. Let's get to work.

bettyd said:

I was surprised by the result and as unhappy as anyone. To me, Trump represents a lot of what is wrong with America: He is greedy, has a huge ego, no impulse control (look at that tweet above! My God man, you just won the Presidential election of the strongest and greatest nation on earth, forget about a small group of protesters and lambasting the media), misogynistic, xenophobic, crude, tacky, insecure, thin skinned, not particularly bright when it comes to history and international affairs, etc., etc., etc. I really see no Presidential qualities in him - particularly the need to be circumspect, to think things through before reacting.

But the country will survive a Trump Presidency. We've been through a Revolution, Civil War, two World Wars, Depressions and recessions, Suffrage, segregation, the Civil Rights struggle, Korea, Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, the Cold War, 9/11 and on and on and on.

I've been through enough Presidential elections and have heard all the prognostications after each one. During the Reagan years the Democratic Party was dead and never to be heard from again; when Clinton was first elected it was the end of the Republican Party; when Bush II won re-election it was again the end of the Democratic Party; When Obama was elected that was again it for the Republican Party; now with Trump it is again the death knell for the Democratic Party. Wrong, because now it is time to govern.

I voted for HRC but was never happy and enthusiastic about her. Her Iraq War vote to me was a huge strike against her and one I could not forgive. In my opinion, when the biggest foreign policy decision of this Century had to be made she whiffed. That is why I voted for Obama in the 2008 primary and I believe the primary reason she lost to him. That's all on her.

While I respect HRC and her years of public service and wanted her as POTUS this year it is time to move on from the Clintons. The Republican party has moved on from the Bushes. As someone on this board said, which I found accurate, HRC was the Democratic Party's Bob Dole.

We need more Obamas and the work starts now. There is already good competition for DNC Chair. Howard Dean and Keith Ellison are running, realizing we need a 50 state strategy, a tech update, and outreach to more of the disenfranchised.

I am over the election. I have endured the taunts and gloating of Trump supporters (some of whom are friends and co-workers) and vented with Democratic friends and family members and have accepted the result and am ready to move on.

Albert Einstein said that "In every crisis lies great opportunity." As depressing as it was, this election and a Trump Presidency provide great opportunity for Democrats. If history teaches us anything, the American people are resilient and the pendulum always swings back.

The mid term elections will be here in 2 short years; the next Presidential election will be here before you know it. Let's get to work.

I see the logic in what you say and I truly am a "this too shall pass" person but In a couple of months there will be an immediate push to fill the the empty seat on the Supreme Court. Last March a deeply divided court argued a Roe v Wade case and it will come up again. Trump and Pence in particular wish to overturn Roe v Wade and we can't vote the judge out in 4 years. The Supreme court is the problem.

Robert_Casotto said:

Woot said:

Robert_Casotto said:

I'll put my "underducation" up against yours any day of the week, including Sunday.

I'm not clear what you mean by that. But "whatever".

DaveSchmidt said:

?????? I don't really care. And I'm glad he peaked at 15. But if Bobby wants to double-down on ignorance, he can be my guest.

And I will add that improving our education system is one of the few real strategies that can dramatically improve the US. Those low-skill manufacturing jobs are not returning for Bobby's friends.

While highly skilled, highly educated labor in the US is in very high demand.

Morganna said:

bettyd said:

But the country will survive a Trump Presidency. We've been through a Revolution, Civil War, two World Wars, Depressions and recessions, Suffrage, segregation, the Civil Rights struggle, Korea, Vietnam, Cuban Missile Crisis, the Cold War, 9/11 and on and on and on.....
I see the logic in what you say and I truly am a "this too shall pass" person but In a couple of months there will be an immediate push to fill the the empty seat on the Supreme Court. Last March a deeply divided court argued a Roe v Wade case and it will come up again. Trump and Pence in particular wish to overturn Roe v Wade and we can't vote the judge out in 4 years. The Supreme court is the problem.

I agree "100% that the Supreme Court is the problem," but unfortunately the Supreme Court is the problem for conservatives as much as it is Democrats.

Millions of anti-Trump conservatives voted for Trump because they were terrified of the Justices Hillary Clinton would appoint.

The Supreme Court alone cemented millions of decent people to vote for modern American history's most indecent candidate.

In exit polls, one-fifth of Americans said the Supreme Court was their top concern and of that group, Trump got 60% of the vote.

I wish we could have a truce on the Supreme Court somehow.

IMO, the SC was at the heart of the Republican determination to make Obama a one term president. It's one thing to compromise with Obama on taxes, the stimulus, health care, but by compromising with Obama you make him look good, help him win a second term, and thus let him install even more liberal Justices.

Morganna. I don't like that situation either but the election is over. He gets to make a nomination. Democrats have to fight the nominee and be obstructionist as Republicans have been and filibuster if need be. Fight the nominee tooth and nail and don't roll over. Then work for a Democratic Congress. If the Trump Administration oversteps, which i am sure it will do, and picks a right wing ideologue for the Supreme Court then that just may be the start of the pendulum beginning its swing back. Maybe then some Trump voters (perhaps some of the 47% of women who voted for him) will have buyer's remorse. Maybe the younger voters who came out overwhelmingly in favor of Democrats this year but not in great numbers will be more motivated and numerous in 2018 and 2020.

Campaigning is easy and governing is hard, and Trump will soon find that out.

Everyone likes to see the map of the country and how blue and red it is. While some may clearly fall in one category (for example MA is decidedly blue, OK red) many states and all the swing states are decidedly purple. Trump won Florida, PA, and WI each by one percentage point. He won Florida by less than 120,000 votes out of over 9,000,000 cast. He won Georgia by less than 5% and AZ by 4%. Even Texas is becoming more purple.

Get better candidates and run better campaigns and the results will be different. It really isn't the end of the world and the Democratic Party. I've heard that so many times, and usually before a comeback. As disappointing as the prospect of a Trump Presidency is, this country always has a way of bouncing back and moving to the middle.

As an aside, I sincerely believe that if HRC had come out against the Iraq War she would have been the nominee in 2008 and defeated John McCain. Who knows, she could have been winding up her second term right now and passing the torch to President Elect Obama.

Woot said:

And I will add that improving our education system is one of the few real strategies that can dramatically improve the US. Those low-skill manufacturing jobs are not returning for Bobby's friends.

While highly skilled, highly educated labor in the US is in very high demand.

My education vs yours. Any day of the week. Period.

Woot said:

DaveSchmidt said:

?????? I don't really care. And I'm glad he peaked at 15. But if Bobby wants to double-down on ignorance, he can be my guest.

see last post.

This is a time when I think Elizabeth Warren could be very important.

It is wonderful to see how many people know exactly what Trump will do and why he will do it since throughout the campaign he constantly spoke out of both sides of his mouth.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.