298 Walton Avenue Memo

I share Filmcarps question, and think that a good answer to it is necessary if we are ever to consider anything other than a deal with St Hubert's.

Mostly money. Sometimes management skills.

I think most of the people involved in the shelters care about animals. There is just not a lot of money. And they may not have the management skills to run an operation that is actually quite complex.

Which is why it may be best to go to a model with a large regional operation like St. Hubert's that has the mass to be run efficiently and well.

It is the town's responsibility to find a humane place to bring our animals. JAC has been closed for more than two years. Maplewood did it. Why can't South Orange?

I don't think that South Orange should consider anywhere else but Saint Hubert's, given the options. Or rather, given that there are no other options. No humane ones in any event.

This is no longer a "partisan" issue of RJL vs. PFA or any other animal-related facility inhabiting the 298 Walton space.

Many of you who spoke in support of RJL are pet owners and animal lovers. You said that you believed that our local lost pets deserved fair and humane treatment.

Kudos to Maplewood, who followed through on their citizens' convictions and contracted with one of the finest animal shelters in our area -- St. Hubert's.

South Orange residents, please take a look at the pictures below. The Livingston "shelter" is an abomination. Not only is it in violation of code (no isolation area,) but it is tiny. There are only cages for 5 dogs, and the cat cages are just a few feet away from the dog cages. It is 5 yards away from the sewage treatment plant so the volunteers (only 2-3 in total) don't even try to have adoption events at the shelter since the stench is so unpleasant.

If you agree that this decision by our BOT is below the standards of our community, please register your disapproval and insist on a better option. If Maplewood's animals are worthy of St. Hubert's, so our ours.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.