DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

nan said:

LOST said:

nan said:
2. Hillary Clinton said we would NEVER get single-payer so voting for her was not going to get us Medicare for All, despite being better than Trump.  
 That is not necessarily true. A President Hillary Clinton could have been moved to supporting single-payer by the Democratic Congress or the Democratic base.
If a main issue for me was "marriage equality" how could I vote for either Obama or Romney since neither supported it. And yet Obama was pushed in that direction and changed his position.
 Coulda woulda shoulda don't mean sh**t.

It's because Hillary's blond, isn't it?

ridski said:

nan said:

LOST said:

nan said:
2. Hillary Clinton said we would NEVER get single-payer so voting for her was not going to get us Medicare for All, despite being better than Trump.  
 That is not necessarily true. A President Hillary Clinton could have been moved to supporting single-payer by the Democratic Congress or the Democratic base.
If a main issue for me was "marriage equality" how could I vote for either Obama or Romney since neither supported it. And yet Obama was pushed in that direction and changed his position.
 Coulda woulda shoulda don't mean sh**t.

It's because Hillary's blond, isn't it?

No, I'm blond and I think we can have Medicare for All. 

BG9 said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:
 blank stare If Beto brings us the next Trump - at least we may have 8 years to prepare!
Why are we constantly talking about Yellow vests in a 2020 thread - please don't hijack it - start a yellow vest thread.
 I was talking about the yellow vests because the topic is on choosing a 2020 candidate and I thought we could learn from the mistakes of others when doing that.  Guess you did not appreciate that or heed the message.  Anyway, I was just reading an interesting article on Beto, so that should be A-OK on your approved subject list.
Beto Got $430,000 From Individuals in Oil and Gas. Should We Care?

https://readsludge.com/2018/12/10/beto-orourke-oil-and-gas-contributions-2018/
 Hard to get a modern figure, but as of Q1 2017, that equals about $3 per Texan employed in the Oil & Gas Industries.
Source
And so what? I gave $200 when Obama was running for president while I was working at a bank. Did the millions Obama got from people working at banks make him the bankers pet? Of course not.
Its individuals giving. You can work in finance, energy, etc., and still believe in and support progressive candidates. I'm sure there are individuals working in industries that we label progressive, such as colleges, who give to Republicans.

The trope of "Candidate X got $Y from the Z industry" is just stupid and lazy when it refers to individual contributions.  It really tells us nothing of an industry's influence, and people who use it as a cudgel are just revealing their ignorance. I'm looking at you David Sirota, who should freaking know better.

Nan - care to get back on topic instead of your very tired Anti-Hillary / Bernie rants?

This is about the 2020 Candidates- let's discuss who is in the running.

Nan,

Why do you insist on this ideological purity test.  Do you think Oskar Schindler would have saved more Jews if he had chosen to publicly confront the Nazis in the manner of Hans and Sophie Scholl as opposed to doing what he did?  Or do you think he might have ended up dead?

nan said:

BG9 said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:
 blank stare If Beto brings us the next Trump - at least we may have 8 years to prepare!
Why are we constantly talking about Yellow vests in a 2020 thread - please don't hijack it - start a yellow vest thread.
 I was talking about the yellow vests because the topic is on choosing a 2020 candidate and I thought we could learn from the mistakes of others when doing that.  Guess you did not appreciate that or heed the message.  Anyway, I was just reading an interesting article on Beto, so that should be A-OK on your approved subject list.

Hard to get a modern figure, but as of Q1 2017, that equals about $3 per Texan employed in the Oil & Gas Industries.
Source
And so what? I gave $200 when Obama was running for president while I was working at a bank. Did the millions Obama got from people working at banks make him the bankers pet? Of course not.
Its individuals giving. You can work in finance, energy, etc., and still believe in and support progressive candidates. I'm sure there are individuals working in industries that we label progressive, such as colleges, who give to Republicans.
 He was the banker's pet.  He let Citigroup pick out his cabinet and he bailed out Wall Street and left the homeowners out to dry.  After he left office he immediately cleaned up on a Wall Street speaking tour for $500K a speech. 
Not saying it was your $200 that did that, but he was in the tank for corporations and Wall Street and not a Progressive role model. 

Actually, in the end homeowners were helped. After Obama's economic recovery, the value of houses, the real estate industry, the building industry certainly shows it.

Obama had to bail out Wall Street. Not bailing out would likely have led to a complete market crash. Everyone who has a pension or a savings plan like 401K or IRA would have been hurt, pauperizing our whole retired senior generation. Leaving them to solely on Soc Sec.

Same with banks. We can't let large or many banks fail. If enough banks fail then don't expect FDIC to cover the failures. There wouldn't be enough money. If your bank failed you wouldn't be able to access your DDA funds (goodbye Debit card) or your savings for awhile even with FDIC solvent. If FDIC were not solvent then don't expect to ever see your money. So, then, how do you think you'll be able to pay your bills? Pay for food? Credit? Your pay check? Good luck finding a new bank to open an account with. Major bank failures would also destroy our credit system - accounts being closed or credit lines being severely reduced.

I do agree that we need to fight for and get progressive candidates, the usual liberal in name only corporate democrats.

Which is why I have my doubts over Pelosi.

Here's what we can expect:

The united front that helped Democrats save Obamacare just a year ago is falling apart over single-payer health care.

Deep-pocketed hospital, insurance and other lobbies are plotting to crush progressives’ hopes of expanding the government's role in health care once they take control of the House. The private-sector interests, backed in some cases by key Obama administration and Hillary Clinton campaign alumni, are now focused on beating back another prospective health care overhaul, including plans that would allow people under 65 to buy into Medicare.

This sets up a potentially brutal battle between establishment Democrats who want to preserve Obamacare and a new wave of progressive House Democrats who ran on single-payer health care.

I see that some here are singing the praises of Pelosi. But she is establishment and I don't expect real change as long as we let establishment run the shop.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/establishment-democrats-progressive-medicare-1052215

drummerboy said:

BG9 said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:

Source
The trope of "Candidate X got $Y from the Z industry" is just stupid and lazy when it refers to individual contributions.  It really tells us nothing of an industry's influence, and people who use it as a cudgel are just revealing their ignorance. I'm looking at you David Sirota, who should freaking know better.

Did you read the article?  It explains why the individual contribution is also a marker for influence.  Also, how does Beto stand on climate?  He broke his promise and he is not in favor of a ban on fracking.  So, considering that we have 12 years for drastic change, he does not look like a good bet.

jamie said:
Nan - care to get back on topic instead of your very tired Anti-Hillary / Bernie rants?

I've been discussing Beto.  Someone else made a comment about Clinton and I responded.  Why don't you tell them to get in line?

tjohn said:
Nan,
Why do you insist on this ideological purity test.  Do you think Oskar Schindler would have saved more Jews if he had chosen to publicly confront the Nazis in the manner of Hans and Sophie Scholl as opposed to doing what he did?  Or do you think he might have ended up dead?

We have 12 years and we are all going to end up dead.  Voting for a pro-fossil fuel candidate is not going to be a good idea.

BG9 said:

nan said:

BG9 said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:

Source
 He was the banker's pet.  He let Citigroup pick out his cabinet and he bailed out Wall Street and left the homeowners out to dry.  After he left office he immediately cleaned up on a Wall Street speaking tour for $500K a speech. 
Not saying it was your $200 that did that, but he was in the tank for corporations and Wall Street and not a Progressive role model. 
Actually, in the end homeowners were helped. After Obama's economic recovery, the value of houses, the real estate industry, the building industry certainly shows it.
Obama had to bail out Wall Street. Not bailing out would likely have led to a complete market crash. Everyone who has a pension or a savings plan like 401K or IRA would have been hurt, pauperizing our whole retired senior generation. Leaving them to solely on Soc Sec.
Same with banks. We can't let large or many banks fail. If enough banks fail then don't expect FDIC to cover the failures. There wouldn't be enough money. If your bank failed you wouldn't be able to access your DDA funds (goodbye Debit card) or your savings for awhile even with FDIC solvent. If FDIC were not solvent then don't expect to ever see your money. So, then, how do you think you'll be able to pay your bills? Pay for food? Credit? Your pay check? Good luck finding a new bank to open an account with. Major bank failures would also destroy our credit system - accounts being closed or credit lines being severely reduced.

The recovery benefited the 1% much more than working people and the poor.  Wealth inequality increased.  The jobs came back but they were lower paying with fewer benefits.  Also, since then the banks have been allowed to grow large again and regulations continue to be loosened.  Democrats regularly vote for this too. Hard to believe the banks are not/were not calling the shots. 

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:

Source

It's nuts to have the same discussion here as last week, about the Bernie fan who implied that Beto was getting "oil/gas industry campaign cash".  He was getting donations from people who are employees of companies in that industry.  

It's Texas.  Same response applies -

Lots of people are employees of oil and gas companies.  It was misleading for Sirota to leave the impression that this was "backing by fossil fuel companies".  Sure, he has some mealy-mouthed excuse that he didn't actually say that.  But instead of saying (properly) that those were donations from people who are employees of companies in the oil and gas industry, he called it "oil/gas industry campaign cash".

https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/2020-candidates-c?page=next&limit=180#discussion-replies-3432934

@nan's post then showed that she had been fooled into thinking it was industry lobbying cash.  I thought in the discussion that had been cleared up.   I guess it wasn't, and the same attack against Beto is being repeated.
Democrats shouldn't be attacking each other with Fox News type half-truths. 

LOST said:
The only way in which "Obama brought us Trump" is that every time Black people make a little progress in this country there is a White backlash.

Agreed.  And following that logic one would have to conclude that Bernie would bring us the next ....

nan said:

nohero said:

nan 

scam of incrementalism

Classic. 

South_Mountaineer said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:

Source
 It's nuts to have the same discussion here as last week, about the Bernie fan who implied that Beto was getting "oil/gas industry campaign cash".  He was getting donations from people who are employees of companies in that industry.  

Lots of people are employees of oil and gas companies.  It was misleading for Sirota to leave the impression that this was "backing by fossil fuel companies".  Sure, he has some mealy-mouthed excuse that he didn't actually say that.  But instead of saying (properly) that those were donations from people who are employees of companies in the oil and gas industry, he called it "oil/gas industry campaign cash".
https://maplewood.worldwebs.com/forums/discussion/2020-candidates-c?page=next&limit=180#discussion-replies-3432934
@nan's post then showed that she had been fooled into thinking it was industry lobbying cash.  I thought in the discussion that had been cleared up.   I guess it wasn't, and the same attack against Beto is being repeated.

I'm not fooled into thinking anything.  Did you read the article I posted?  It mentions donor contributions in the title, which asks the question: Beto Got $430,000 From Individuals in Oil and Gas. Should We Care?

The answer seems to be YES.  For starters, he signed a "No Fossil Fuel Money Pledge" and broke it more than 25 times.  

Next, the difference between corporate PAC money and individual may be not be distinct as it seems on the surface:

Individual Contributions vs. Corporate PACs

While corporate PACs and donations from individuals who work at corporations are certainly distinct, there’s a lot more overlap than most people realize. Corporations are free to set up their own political action committees, which are subject to limits on incoming donations and outgoing contributions to candidates.

So who funds corporate these PACs? The money is not from corporate treasuries—it’s donated by the people, generally executives and other highly-paid staff, who work at those corporations.

“People would have no problem calling PAC money to candidates from a specific industry ‘industry money,’ but PAC money comes from people,” said Bryner. “People control the PAC and they donate directly to it, and so what difference, in some ways, does it make whether it comes from CEO versus the PAC? I think that people want to make these sorts of discussions about purity, differentiations, when that’s not the world we live in.”

nan said:

South_Mountaineer said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:

Source

I'm not fooled into thinking anything.  Did you read the article I posted?  It mentions donor contributions in the title, which asks the question: Beto Got $430,000 From Individuals in Oil and Gas. Should We Care?
The answer seems to be YES.  For starters, he signed a "No Fossil Fuel Money Pledge" and broke it more than 25 times.  
Next, the difference between corporate PAC money and individual may be not be distinct as it seems on the surface:

While corporate PACs and donations from individuals who work at corporations are certainly distinct, there’s a lot more overlap than most people realize. Corporations are free to set up their own political action committees, which are subject to limits on incoming donations and outgoing contributions to candidates.

So who funds corporate these PACs? The money is not from corporate treasuries—it’s donated by the people, generally executives and other highly-paid staff, who work at those corporations.

“People would have no problem calling PAC money to candidates from a specific industry ‘industry money,’ but PAC money comes from people,” said Bryner. “People control the PAC and they donate directly to it, and so what difference, in some ways, does it make whether it comes from CEO versus the PAC? I think that people want to make these sorts of discussions about purity, differentiations, when that’s not the world we live in.”

Can't you start your own threat/topic. Call it "nanknowsbest". You obviously don't listen to anyone and like to dominate posting volume, so it will be a win for you. It will also be a win for all of us because we can talk about 2020 candidates without having to browse through all this nonsense.

basil said:

nan said:

South_Mountaineer said:

ridski said:

nan said:

jamie said:

Source

Can't you start your own threat/topic. Call it "nanknowsbest". You obviously don't listen to anyone and like to dominate posting volume, so it will be a win for you. It will also be a win for all of us because we can talk about 2020 candidates without having to browse through all this nonsense.

So, you  have no argument other than a personal attack?   Seems you consider anyone who challenges the typical narrative "nonsense."  Looks like you want a thread where everyone just wants a different flavor for the same kind of candidate.  Do you think if I go away, the issues I have brought up won't exist? 

nan said:

Do you think if I go away, the issues I have brought up won't exist? 

Yes, that is what I expect. But we won't know until we try. 

nan said:

jamie said:
 I've been discussing Beto.  Someone else made a comment about Clinton and I responded.  Why don't you tell them to get in line?

It's all about you - all the time.  You're on a time out.  Let's let everyone else discuss this for a bit,

I'm taking myself out.  Not hanging out where I'm not welcome.

nan said:
I'm taking myself out.  Not hanging out where I'm not welcome.

Hallelujah ! Except we've heard this too many times before.

MoveOn Straw Poll:

Someone else/DK/other: 28.8 percent

Beto O’Rourke: 15.6 percent

Joe Biden: 14.9 percent

Bernie Sanders: 13.1 percent

Kamala Harris: 10 percent

Elizabeth Warren: 6.4 percent

Sherrod Brown: 2.9 percent

Amy Klobuchar: 2.8 percent

Michael Bloomberg: 2.7 percent

Cory Booker: 2.6 percent

Also, I understand the issues in doing this - but how great would it be if the potential candidates also named their possible VP picks?  Issues would be that some of them may be running for the top spot already, plus it give an additional target to the main candidate.

Beto is the flavor of the month.

A former Member of the House runs for the Senate, loses and is suddenly a leading candidate for President.

It has happened before but under rather unique circumstances with a rather unique individual

LOST said:
Beto is the flavor of the month.
A former Member of the House runs for the Senate, loses and is suddenly a leading candidate for President.
It has happened before but under rather unique circumstances with a rather unique individual

Maybe, but he ran an extraordinary campaign unlike we've seen on the Dem side in a long time. He upended the typical attitude of 'why bother, you won't win' and garnered a ton of enthusiasm across the country.

Does Andrew Sorkin have a crystal ball?

THE WEST WING:

The sixth season opens with the Israeli and Palestinian delegations arriving at Camp David for peace talks. Despite problems at the summit, a deal is thrashed out by President Bartlet, but not before he fires Leo as chief of staff. Leo suffers a heart attack in the aftermath, leading to a re-shuffle of the White House staff. CJ Cregg becomes chief of staff but she finds it difficult to adapt, a fact not helped by the President's MS and the interference from the First Lady. Away from the White House, Josh convinces Texas Congressman Matt Santos to run for president, and after a shaky start, he finds himself in a three-way race for the Democratic nomination with Vice President Russell and former Vice President Hoynes. While the Republican primaries provide a clear winner in California Senator Arnold Vinick, the Democratic ticket is not finalized until the Democratic National Convention, at which Santos is chosen as presidential nominee, with Leo McGarry as his running mate. Meanwhile, someone at the White House has leaked national security information to reporter Greg Brock.

jamie said:
MoveOn Straw Poll:
Someone else/DK/other: 28.8 percent
Beto O’Rourke: 15.6 percent
Joe Biden: 14.9 percent
Bernie Sanders: 13.1 percent
Kamala Harris: 10 percent
Elizabeth Warren: 6.4 percent
Sherrod Brown: 2.9 percent
Amy Klobuchar: 2.8 percent
Michael Bloomberg: 2.7 percent
Cory Booker: 2.6 percent
Also, I understand the issues in doing this - but how great would it be if the potential candidates also named their possible VP picks?  Issues would be that some of them may be running for the top spot already, plus it give an additional target to the main candidate.

Interesting.  Of course, one must always consider the potential inherent bias in the population from which a poll is drawn.  I suspect that moveon.org membership (that is who was polled, I believe) tends to skew toward a certain socio/political demographic...one that is more progressive/liberal, younger, etc.   That makes Biden and Warren's inclusion a bit surprising.

I think things are so nuts now with Trump that everything could be different in 6 months.  I want everyone to run, as others have said above, and we will see who sticks.  No candidate will be perfect.

FilmCarp said:
I think things are so nuts now with Trump that everything could be different in 6 months.  I want everyone to run, as others have said above, and we will see who sticks.  No candidate will be perfect.

Exactly.  I have two additional thoughts.

1.  The negative campaigning (like the deceptive claims about where a candidate gets contributions) isn't good.  The GOP loves it.  Candidates should put their ideas and list of skills on the table, and the primary voters should evaluate that.

2.  Once a nominee is finally chosen, it would be great if everyone who participated in the primary process as a voter gets behind that nominee.  What we don't need is another toxic display, of the loser's supporters loudly demonstrating against the nominee on the floor of the convention, for the television audience.  Again, the GOP would love it.

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.

Latest Jobs

Sponsored Business

Find Business

Advertisement

Advertise here!