DUMP TRUMP (previously 2020 candidates)

drummerboy said:

And the odds of Biden winning S. Carolina are what? How much effort should he put in to trying to win S.C.?  How does zero sound? You kinda make my point.

And how was mine an inaccurate description?

ETA: re-reading the piece, I'm dead on with my description.

If you don't believe the people in that article are examples of a sentiment that might be fairly common among black Americans, fair enough.  But as a very white man, I don't know that I can convincingly say that there aren't a fair amount of black people who don't think a return to 2015 is such an awesome deal that they absolutely, positively must vote for Joe Biden.  Personally, I don't think it's impossible that for some people the soft bigotry of white Democrats isn't all that preferable to white supremacists.  But maybe it's absolutely inconceivable to almost all black people, and that article's author found a few unicorns.

In a normal year, returning to the status quo could be something worth talking about.

This is not a normal year.

ml1 said:

PVW said:

I don't know about its relevance to winning votes, but what a candidate campaigns on does impact how they govern. See eg https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trust-us-politicians-keep-most-of-their-promises/

A lot of the commentary around electoral strategy generally reads to me as actually disguised policy advocacy -- less "candidate X should push my issues and reach out to my group of voters because that'll win more votes" and more "candidate X should push my my issues and reach out to my group of voters because I want them to govern in a way that supports the things that are important to me." And maybe that's ok? I'm not all that convinced, for instance, that there's a lot of votes to be mined by Biden going after more progressive voters, but that doesn't mean it makes no sense for progressive voters to ask Biden to move their way.

I'll admit there's a portion of me advocating for policies I think are best.  But at the risk of re-re-re-repeating myself, in the times that we now face, doesn't it seem that a massive, massive economic and public health initiative is exactly what the country needs?  Are we living in a time in which most voters are going to respond to timid, half-measures?  Again, I don't know for sure that we are, but I'm pretty sure that if the way forward in this country is Mitch McConnell's vision, we are ******.

Here you go:

Biden begins to map out ‘revolutionary’ agenda, reimagining his presidency amid national upheaval

PVW said:

ml1 said:

PVW said:

I don't know about its relevance to winning votes, but what a candidate campaigns on does impact how they govern. See eg https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trust-us-politicians-keep-most-of-their-promises/

A lot of the commentary around electoral strategy generally reads to me as actually disguised policy advocacy -- less "candidate X should push my issues and reach out to my group of voters because that'll win more votes" and more "candidate X should push my my issues and reach out to my group of voters because I want them to govern in a way that supports the things that are important to me." And maybe that's ok? I'm not all that convinced, for instance, that there's a lot of votes to be mined by Biden going after more progressive voters, but that doesn't mean it makes no sense for progressive voters to ask Biden to move their way.

I'll admit there's a portion of me advocating for policies I think are best.  But at the risk of re-re-re-repeating myself, in the times that we now face, doesn't it seem that a massive, massive economic and public health initiative is exactly what the country needs?  Are we living in a time in which most voters are going to respond to timid, half-measures?  Again, I don't know for sure that we are, but I'm pretty sure that if the way forward in this country is Mitch McConnell's vision, we are ******.

Here you go:

Biden begins to map out ‘revolutionary’ agenda, reimagining his presidency amid national upheaval

Behind paywall

PVW said:

Here you go:

I guess all the people arguing that being "revolutionary" was a bad idea are going to need to rethink.

basil said:

PVW said:

ml1 said:

PVW said:

Here you go:

Behind paywall

Yup. Feel free to skip it. If you don't feel you're missing anything, great. If I post enough articles from paywalled sources and you feel you might be missing out, I'd encourage you to try a subscription.

PVW said:

Yup. Feel free to skip it. If you don't feel you're missing anything, great. If I post enough articles from paywalled sources and you feel you might be missing out, I'd encourage you to try a subscription.

the headline pretty much tells the story anyway

Never been a big fan of Mattis, but he is Trumps former Defense Secretary, and former favorite General. He now compares Trump divisive tactics with those of Nazi Germany, and calls him a threat to the Constitution. Well, we could have told you that 3 years ago when you joined his Admin, but better come to your senses late than never I guess.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/james-mattis-denounces-president-trump-describes-him-as-a-threat-to-the-constitution/ar-BB14ZPey?ocid=sf

I used to get annoyed watching Trump on TV. Not anymore. Every time he opens his mouth he is making the case for Biden in ways that few others can:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/politics/donald-trump-george-floyd-rose-garden/index.html

let's all revel in Trump's atrociously bad, horrible week.

2 SCOTUS decisions
Rampgate
Drinkofwatergate
The botched Berman firing
The embarrassment of the Tulsa rally.

Did I miss anything?

drummerboy said:

2 SCOTUS decisions
Rampgate
Drinkofwatergate

Did I miss anything?

six positive coronavirus tests among his campaign stafd

He spent 11 minutes on rampgate and drinkofwatergate. Think about this for a second. He is the President of the United States:

drummerboy said:

2 SCOTUS decisions
Rampgate
Drinkofwatergate

Did I miss anything?

and the leaks from Bolton and Mary Trump's books

Holy ****!

All of the Kpop - tiktok users should take this poll.

What a tool!

https://action.donaldjtrump.com/trump-for-2020-poll

jamie said:

All of the Kpop - tiktok users should take this poll.

What a tool!

https://action.donaldjtrump.com/trump-for-2020-poll

I Voted.

I put nonsense into the info requests.

STANV said:

Now he's decided to piss off Native Americans.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/03/trump-mount-rushmore-347982

It's his inner Andrew Jackson showing.

I am sure this is somehow Obama's fault again

basil said:

I am sure this is somehow Obama's fault again

Thanks Obama.

BREAKING NEWS

Kanye is NOT running for President.

Repeat - NOT running for President.

nohero said:

BREAKING NEWS

More breaking news:

Neither am I.

nohero said:

BREAKING NEWS

I wonder if someone will write him in.

Re: basil's post from 7/12, a longish piece on years of Navy gaps in preparedness, maintenance, training:

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/us-navy-crashes-japan-cause-mccain/

Just to say, no one has been seriously minding the store for years, as budget-cutting and partisan sniping have had the full attention of many in Congress as well as some administrations.  Current admin, of course, seems to have zero interest in actually functioning to preserve and protect the country.  Still amazing.

Morganna said:

nohero said:

BREAKING NEWS

I wonder if someone will write him in.

Probably Trump, since he figures it will hurt Biden

Ham sandwich strikes again.

WP: Biden Calls Trump "First Racist President"

“No sitting president has ever done this,” Biden said. “Never, never, never. No Republican president has done this. No Democratic president. We’ve had racists, and they’ve existed, they’ve tried to get elected president. He’s the first one that has.

I mean, I will vote for guy (or anyone else who's name isn't Trump) but what the hell?  Andrew Jackson wasn't a racist? I would think that owning slaves automatically checked that box.

Klinker said:

Ham sandwich strikes again.

WP: Biden Calls Trump "First Racist President"

“No sitting president has ever done this,” Biden said. “Never, never, never. No Republican president has done this. No Democratic president. We’ve had racists, and they’ve existed, they’ve tried to get elected president. He’s the first one that has.

I mean, I will vote for guy (or anyone else who's name isn't Trump) but what the hell?  Andrew Jackson wasn't a racist? I would think that owning slaves automatically checked that box.

So Biden should have modified it to say "over the last 100 years".?

It's a good attack on Trump as a campaign tactic. What would be the response from trump supporters, "No he's not the first"?

In order to add a comment – you must Join this community – Click here to do so.